PDA

View Full Version : I Like Hiking; Camping...not so much, Huh?

Hawker
07-20-2012, 15:58
I enjoy the athleticism of hiking. I enjoy seeing new scenery, birds, wildlife and the feeling of accomplishment after a lengthy hike. However, I don't care for camping very much and I'm not sure why?

Unlike many of you, I think I was turned off to camping when in Boy Scouts. I lived in upstate NY and all I remember is being uncomfortable and cold most of the time. When my aunt and uncle took me camping several times all I remember is feeling lonely because neither my parents nor my siblings came along.
I just wonder if all those negative things early on have somehow had an affect on how I feel about camping today? Am I nuts? Or maybe...I just don't like being away from the comforts of home; my bed, my computer and the refrigerator?

Edie
07-20-2012, 16:03
I like camping, better than hiking. Hiking is a means to get to a nice place to camp. I love them both but camping is cool.

theinfamousj
07-20-2012, 16:03
You aren't nuts. My brother is like you in that he likes to hike but not to camp. I'm the opposite.

Ktaadn
07-20-2012, 16:11
I enjoy the athleticism of hiking. I enjoy seeing new scenery, birds, wildlife and the feeling of accomplishment after a lengthy hike. However, I don't care for camping very much and I'm not sure why?

Unlike many of you, I think I was turned off to camping when in Boy Scouts. I lived in upstate NY and all I remember is being uncomfortable and cold most of the time. When my aunt and uncle took me camping several times all I remember is feeling lonely because neither my parents nor my siblings came along.
I just wonder if all those negative things early on have somehow had an affect on how I feel about camping today? Am I nuts? Or maybe...I just don't like being away from the comforts of home; my bed, my computer and the refrigerator?

I didn't camp at all when I was a kid, but I was always trying to build a "fort" out of pillows, blankets, furniture, or whatever else I could find. I think I like camping because being in a tent is like being in a really cool high tech child's fort.

So, to answer your question; yes it is all about your childhood. I just saved you 10's of thousands of dollars of psychologist bills! :p

10-K
07-20-2012, 16:15
I'm not big on camping but I'm usually glad when the day is done because I like to hike until I'm really tired. My eyes pop open sometime between 4:30 and 5:00 and I'm usually back at it by 5:30.

Creek Dancer
07-20-2012, 16:22
Speaking of childhood memories, when hiking I often see in my mind's eye the sandbox where I used to carve elaborate trails for my dolls to walk on.

scree
07-20-2012, 16:32
I like getting as far away from the ever-present 60Hz hum of civilization as I can. Hiking and camping both do it.

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 16:39
No, your not crazy, you just don't like to be away from the creture comforts, many don't. Not to worry though, there's plenty of day hiking, and communion with the great outdoors and the critters (including we humas) of the forrest, have some great hikes Hawker, it's all good.:sun

Hairbear
07-20-2012, 16:41
do you take short hikes or long maybe shorten your hike a little and camp in the pre galded stage you might enjoy it more or plan trips with a lake as your finish point then your golden

Feral Bill
07-20-2012, 16:41
Huts, lodges, inns, and motels, even RV "camping" combined with day hiking may be what you are looking for. Nothing wrong with that. Except maybe the RV thing:p

Cookerhiker
07-20-2012, 16:42
As a kid my parents never camped but we did day-hikes. My scouting experience was mixed but it was the only camping I did. Despite scout camping trips with varying levels of unpleasantness, they did get me used to camping and didn't turn me off. I learned what it was like to sleep on the ground in a tent.

Hawker
07-20-2012, 16:48
I didn't camp at all when I was a kid, but I was always trying to build a "fort" out of pillows, blankets, furniture, or whatever else I could find. I think I like camping because being in a tent is like being in a really cool high tech child's fort.

So, to answer your question; yes it is all about your childhood. I just saved you 10's of thousands of dollars of psychologist bills! :p

Thanks Bro, check is in the mail.

bamboo bob
07-20-2012, 17:08
I agree with the all hike no camp contingent. I would be happy to hike from Inn to Inn from Georgia to Maine. Quite a few thruhikers do it that way as much as possible.

atmilkman
07-20-2012, 17:14
I like both, but I can understand your point. My wife feels the same way. She likes to do moderate day hikes with me in the 7 -8 mile range but her idea of camping is the state park lodge. With that said she really loves hanging out in the campgrounds outside of our travel trailer. She likes hiking in to beautiful vistas but at night she wants the comforts of home.

Slo-go'en
07-20-2012, 17:32
The only time I don't like camping (at least in a tent) is when it's raining. Hiking in the rain is okay, but camping, no.

10-K
07-20-2012, 17:48
I agree with the all hike no camp contingent. I would be happy to hike from Inn to Inn from Georgia to Maine. Quite a few thruhikers do it that way as much as possible.

Slackpacking all the way...

Cookerhiker
07-20-2012, 18:01
The only time I don't like camping (at least in a tent) is when it's raining. Hiking in the rain is okay, but camping, no.

Yes........

Hairbear
07-20-2012, 19:32
Speaking of childhood memories, when hiking I often see in my mind's eye the sandbox where I used to carve elaborate trails for my dolls to walk on.
i like that very nice

hikerboy57
07-20-2012, 19:32
I like camping for all of 3 hours. I'm too anxious to see what's over the next hill.

10-K
07-20-2012, 21:33
I like camping for all of 3 hours. I'm too anxious to see what's over the next hill.

3 hours is about the max I can go without checking on my SILWF.

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 21:57
gotta go/gotta go/gotta go/gotta go/do/do/do/do......doe doe doah!:D

jwalton
07-20-2012, 22:19
Hawker,
I understand what you're saying. I have dreams of long distance hikes, but for a variety of reasons I'm not sure it will happen. I do plan to finish the Ga section of the AT this year. Interested in some day hikes after the heat breaks?

T.S.Kobzol
07-20-2012, 22:52
Camping is a means to stay out there longer and farther. It also means you won't miss sunset, sunrise and starfilled sky. If you want to extend your stay then work on getting comfortable camping. Once you'll break this barrier you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner :-)

OzJacko
07-21-2012, 02:33
I like both but the camping only since I got a comfortable mattress.
I can fully understand not everyone liking it though.
I love a campfire and a chat and hot drinks etc.
Having said that am looking forward to hiking in Europe after my 2013 AT hike. Will be walking with my wife and mostly going from B&B to B&B etc.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 06:03

Well clearly you are just not into it, that's not a bad thing. I am huge on camping, hiking, kayaking. There's nothing that is going to sway you from that comfort level. But I use camping as an inexspensive tool to get out further and do different things. I drive out to Harpers Ferry to pitch a tent and section hike... and keep the the trip as cheep as possible... but thats because a 5 star hotel doesn't compare to a million star hammock! Find what you want to do and plan around it... you would be surprised that the only way I can get my wife out on a hike is to go places and Bed and Breakfast with her. She has that same comfort level, she enjoys the family atmosphere that a B&B offers. - and there's nothing wrong with that.

I really hate the time consumption on setting up a tent - so I worked around it - first finding tents that set themselves up then getting into hammocks and snake skins - because its so quick!

Rasty
07-21-2012, 11:45
When solo camping is boring, I just want to set up, eat, read for an hour and go to sleep.

When going with the wife and kids then camping becomes a more important part of the trip. Exploring a creek with the kids, making a campfire, preparing a gourmet trail meal, etc.

Hawker
07-21-2012, 15:13
Thanks folks for your input. I guess I don't feel too out of the ordinary now, but I plan to do a bit more camping an maybe change some things up a bit to make it more interesting or comfortable. I've been reading a lot about hammocks recently and I'm sure itcing to give it a try. I pray a bear doesn't see me as a large burrito.

tdoczi
07-21-2012, 18:30
i used to hate camping and mostly still do. trying to not camp is too much of a hindrance to hiking though ive discovered. trust me, i've tried. its ultimately more fun to just suck it up and camp ive found. constantly shuttling, setting up slackpacks, doing extra miles because you have to reach town because you dont even have a tent, it all just got to be too silly for me. hike until youre ready to pass out, you wont mind sleeping outside in the least.

Josh Calhoun
07-22-2012, 13:21
it just aint for everybody. aslong as your doing something you love "hiking" enjoy it. beats the hell out of sitting on the couch.

teachergal
07-22-2012, 16:47
I agree..love hiking, not so much on the camping! I did buy a small RV - camper van - and that is as close to camping as I'll get! It's nice because I can stay overnight in the parks or the National Forests and still have all my creature comforts! Still gonna be hard to get to all the good places though...many of them aren't RV camping friendly...Baxter State Park being one of the 1st amazing places I've found that I want to go back to but need to bring a friend with a regular car!