PDA

View Full Version : What to do with reading glasses?

jerseydave
07-20-2012, 16:34
I just saw a "hiking with eyeglasses" thread that prompted me to post this question.

I do not need to wear my glasses all the time, but do need them for reading and anytime I need to focus on intricate things close up...... (camera, gps, map, guide).

I don't like carrying them in the side pouch of my pack, and it's a pain to keep them in the pack because it's a real hassle to get at them when you unexpectedly need them.

I'm currently carrying them naked (no case..... get your mind out of the gutter) with one "arm" (temple) looped through a strap on my shoulder strap and keep them in place with a rubber band wrapped around both folded temples (in between the lenses).

This works, but leaves the glasses vulnerable to damage, and can still be a hassle to get to them easily.

I'm looking for ideas from others who share this dilema....... surely someone much smarter than I has already conquered this issue.

Thanks in advance,

jd

Spokes
07-20-2012, 17:24
I went by my eye doctors office and they gave me very lightweight plastic glasses case free. I keep it stowed in my top pack cover. Use it to keep my glasses safe if I'm in a tent or shelter. Don't want to risk rolling over on them in the middle of the night.

Deacon
07-20-2012, 17:30
I carry mine in the small Z-Packs pouch on my left strap right up chest high. I lined the pouch with bubble wrap which protects the folded glasses pretty well.

The pouch also has a net pouch attached where I carry my iPhone.

I'll send a photo when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoilman
07-20-2012, 18:10
The shirt I wear has a pocket with a velcro tab that works really well for my glasses (my pack straps and the pocket don't interfere). Deacon's idea looks good too.

Hikes in Rain
07-20-2012, 19:12
Dollar Store has an extremely lightweight hard shell plastic glasses case, for a dollar. (Go figure!! :cool:) I use it for my regular glasses, without which I can't see anything. I especially lime the color, a bright turquoise, which even I can see without corrective lenses. (I normally wear contacts, and use glasses as a backup). Price is right, weight less than an ounce, what's not to like?

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 19:31
I have a dollar store case to, flowery purple, not real happy about that, but's all they had at the time, or there's another one I use that has my back up glasses (older pair) a soft case, black with the belt clip on the back, or maybe make one out of an old cotton shirt, like a dity bag.

Deacon
07-20-2012, 20:30
I carry mine in the small Z-Packs pouch on my left strap right up chest high. I lined the pouch with bubble wrap which protects the folded glasses pretty well.

The pouch also has a net pouch attached where I carry my iPhone.

I'll send a photo when I get home.

Photos of my case. 0.4 oz. The net pocket is just right for the iPhone.

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 06:45
Thanks for the ideas folks, keep em comin!

I had also tried a small zippered pouch that were intended for sunglasses (wally world).
I wore it on my shoulder strap and it would have worked well, except there was no way to fasten the bottom of the case and it swing around freely.
Got quite annoying after a while.
I might have to "diy" a way to fasten it to the strap better and give it another try.

Thanks,

jd

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 07:20
Several employees I work with have been to Walgreens at the back of the store there is a Foster Grant or fold in half style that folds up so tiny its incredible case works very well drop in pocket and always handy!

http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=folding+reading+glasses&x=163&y=111

doritotex
07-21-2012, 07:42
I sewed a piece of velcro inside a loose fitting hat. When not wearing the hat, the glasses are protected in
the top pocket of my pack by the rolled up hat.

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 07:45
Thanks for the help but to be honest I find this to be totally useless.

How am I supposed to fold my head in half in order to get them to fit properly?

jd

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 07:48
I sewed a piece of velcro inside a loose fitting hat. When not wearing the hat, the glasses are protected in
the top pocket of my pack by the rolled up hat.

A+ for originality

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 07:50
Thanks for the help but to be honest I find this to be totally useless.

How am I supposed to fold my head in half in order to get them to fit properly?

jd

Intended to quote this post

Several employees I work with have been to Walgreens at the back of the store there is a Foster Grant or fold in half style that folds up so tiny its incredible case works very well drop in pocket and always handy!

http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=folding+reading+glasses&x=163&y=111

BrianLe
07-21-2012, 07:55
Shirt pocket.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 07:56
JD - Ya need to take a hike....more. :sun

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 08:12
JD - Ya need to take a hike....more. :sun

Agreed +1...

OzJacko
07-21-2012, 08:22
Try doing all the things like reading in poor light that are supposed to ruin your eyesight until they get bad enough you need them all the time.
Problem solved!:banana
Or else you just have to take a bit of a weight penalty and carry a case. The hip belt pockets on my ULA pack are perfect for camera etc and would be for glasses too but I haven't taken mine off since 1967 except to sleep, swim and have sex (sometimes).

Majortrauma
07-21-2012, 09:16
I've been using these on my hikes and as far as field testing a pair of reading glasses go, these things are great!!
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Foster-Grant-MicroVision-Silver-Foldable-Reading-Glasses/6386630/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla
I highly recommend them.
...edited post; I just saw where WOW posted about the exact same glasses.

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 15:23
I haven't taken mine off since 1967 except to sleep, swim and have sex (sometimes).

I don't wear mine to sleep or swim either, but if I take em off for sex I find it difficult to see the magazine.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 15:30
16691 Go JD!

Pathfinder1
07-21-2012, 15:49
Hi...

There are quite a few different types of both hard and soft case glasses holders that can be worn on the belt, or the pack straps. Perhaps you might like to consider something like them.

atmilkman
07-21-2012, 16:14
I can tell you what not to do with them. Don't put them in the front pocket of your shirt. I did a face first header one time (actually I've done this a lot more than once) but this one time I drove them little boogers right into my chest. Hurt like hell for better than a couple of days. Now they just go in the hipbelt pocket even if I gotta do a little digging.

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 16:38
16692Sometimes I just rap my glasses in a bandanna, but pick one that is shear, makes it easier to read.

sorry folks just trying out some features on thee old computer here, the on board camera, Hee Haw

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 20:35
16692Sometimes I just rap my glasses in a bandanna, but pick one that is shear, makes it easier to read.

sorry folks just trying out some features on thee old computer here, the on board camera, Hee Haw

I wonder what the other customers at B&N thought of you while doing this in public?
I appreciate the dedication.

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 20:44
I wonder what the other customers at B&N thought of you while doing this in public?
I appreciate the dedication.
Well Dave, I was asked to never come back again, and if I did, there would be consciences:D

that's consequences, darn spell check, sometimes I think I'm smarter than it is....but only sometimes.;)

Distracted By Stone
07-21-2012, 22:57
Check these out.

Have 'holepunched' a hole in plastic case and use a small s-biner to clip to backpack front strap.

http://www.i4ulenses.com/index.htm

Quote from website:

Emergency reading glasses that are the size of a credit card, making them handy . . . they are so small that they can fit most anywhere. These compact i4uLenses are designed to complement your regular reading glasses, not to replace them.

These ultralight reading glasses are adjustable (http://www.i4ulenses.com/our.htm) to fit virtually anybody that can use nose-pinch lenses and are break and shatter proof guaranteed. If they fail within a year, we will replace them!

Have found them comfortable enough to use for reading at night in my hammock.

trailname : Distracted By Stone

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 23:30
Dave is considering "options" right now... confusion on spelling of "consciences" is it right - tune in next week...na ....damn spell check..

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 23:44
Dave is considering "options" right now... confusion on spelling of "consciences" is it right - tune in next week...na ....damn spell check..

How the heck do you spell it... consequentses

I got it.......Consequences

Drybones
07-22-2012, 21:25
The North Face pants I have has a long, slender side pocket, like on carpenter pants, that I put my glasses in...that was the primary reason I chose those pants.

Wise Old Owl
07-22-2012, 21:45
RS when I am really struggling and the Ispell fails - I simply type it into a second window on Google - and it suggests..The neat part is that i got better over time....

I pump out a lot of proposals and WB has been excellent therapy for typing these papers up quickly.

Oh I forgot - I recommend the owl!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Owl-Lite-Credit-Magnifier/dp/B000COHFP2

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 21:52
RS when I am really struggling and the Ispell fails - I simply type it into a second window on Google - and it suggests..The neat part is that i got better over time....

I pump out a lot of proposals and WB has been excellent therapy for typing these papers up quickly.I too have gotten way better at typing, now I'm up to hunting and pecking with two fingers and an occasional pinky, not bad really, like I said, i'm just here for the typing practice we already know I can't hike worth a dam, hehehe:D

WaterBender
07-23-2012, 07:51
I usually take them in my pouch or side bag which is very easy to carry and I think it will help you too.