PDA

View Full Version : fishing line for Tent!!

hikingshoes
07-20-2012, 17:30
I was on base last week and came across fishing line that looked like small rope. I said to myself this would be some good light weight rope to tie my tent/trap down with. Has anyone used fishing line for this? If so what type/test did you use? Also I was reading where some hikers was using bicycle spokes for stakes. Any information on this? Thanks HS

WingedMonkey
07-20-2012, 18:09
Also I was reading where some hikers was using bicycle spokes for stakes. Any information on this? Thanks HS

I've carried spare spokes on bicycle back-country trips like Alaska, where the nearest repair shop is 1,000 miles away, I can't imagine them holding down a tent down.

10-K
07-20-2012, 18:11
Bicycle spokes for stakes? I don't think so.

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2012, 18:38
A bit on the weird side.. ahh so what go for it.

coheterojo
07-20-2012, 19:09
That's crazy talk, Hikingshoes. Still doing Fontana to NOC? Just use Kelty nobendium stakes or something. Jeez!

topshelf
07-20-2012, 20:50
i think you came across a braided fishing line. its too thin in my opinion, if you do get a knot in the line, good luck getting it out. it also does not stretch, if its braided line. I like all my lines to have some give to protect tearing the tent, tarp, hammock, whatever.

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2012, 20:59
Holy Crap! I think we got a couple questions never asked before...can someone confirm :D

LoneRidgeRunner
07-20-2012, 21:27
Bicycle spokes to hold a tent down? Surely that was meant as a joke? I use the Mountain Hardwear Y pegs that come with Mountain Hardwear tents. You can pound them into hard or frozen ground with a palm sized flat rock, try that with a bicycle spoke. BTW, don't carry that rock in your pack as you can always find one any where you camp. If you can't find a rock just unroll your sleeping pad where you will sleep once the tent will be set up. The rock will be right under the center of your back, just above the root that sticks in your butt...

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 22:30
Just try and keep track of old line, 16681saw these the other day 16682

I guess it hurts the birdy's,twenty lb test outta do ya, that's hard core ultralight, hey whatever works for you.

Spokes
07-20-2012, 22:41
Bicycle spokes as tent stakes- lol. Sounds like an episode from "The World of Commander McBragg"

Hmmm, wonder if bamboo skewers would work?

DaveSail
07-20-2012, 22:47
Bicycle spokes to hold a tent down? Surely that was meant as a joke? I use the Mountain Hardwear Y pegs that come with Mountain Hardwear tents. You can pound them into hard or frozen ground with a palm sized flat rock, try that with a bicycle spoke. BTW, don't carry that rock in your pack as you can always find one any where you camp. If you can't find a rock just unroll your sleeping pad where you will sleep once the tent will be set up. The rock will be right under the center of your back, just above the root that sticks in your butt...

These " Y " pegs have holes !

http://www.petesy.co.uk/pegs-skewers-stakes-and-disappointment/

grayfox
07-21-2012, 00:18
Sorry guys but it is true about the spokes--the titainium ones of course:). And also true that some people use fishing line for all sorts of camp needs. I would be really careful with the fishing line, it is just too easy to get it wraped around your hand or fingers and not be able to cut it off--this hapens to fishermen on a regular basis. And as above, it is just too hard to work with. But, if grams matter....

Bucho
07-21-2012, 01:05
If you're looking for ultralight stakes you could always go titanium

http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-Outdoors-Titanium-Shepards-Stake/dp/B0021U6LYG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

hikingshoes
07-21-2012, 12:12
Thanks,grayfox
I was talking about titanium spokes sorry guys.. Why I'm looking into this is? It's all about the weight up to some point,when I got back into hiking my pack was5lbs with no gear in it, and with3-4 days of food/gear it was 45-50lbs,now its 25lbs w/4 days of food and1L of h2o .. I'm just looking to same a little weight is all.

WingedMonkey
07-21-2012, 12:32
Sorry guys but it is true about the spokes--the titainium ones of course:)

I still can't see it because the strength of spokes even titanium comes from the tension you apply when you tighten them up around the wheel, with each spoke having an opposite spoke.

I don't have any titanium ones to test it on.

As for the braided type fishing line, we have some around here for salt water fishing, it's strong enough but like an earlier post said it's not something I'd want to try and get a knot out of or be trying to use in a hurry on a tent.

But hey...try it out and let us know.

:sun

MuddyWaters
07-21-2012, 12:41
I have heard of both fishing line and bike spokes used. The stakes made from spokes are very light, and you can get spectra fishing line that weighs virtually nothing.

However, I expect the line to be tangle prone, so I never tried it. But might in a pinch. Dont need more than about ~40 lb test probably. I recall stakes were about .1oz, half of a conventional ti stake. All in all, maybe save 1.5 oz with this approach.?

hikingshoes
07-21-2012, 14:32
I'm thinking once I get back to base Sunday after church, I'm going to pick some up and check it out next weekend. I'll see how it works on my tarp .

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 14:47
I'd never use a spoke for a tent stake...I'd be affraid it would roll away during the night...sorry could help myself.:o

grayfox
07-21-2012, 15:04
hikingshoes, be sure to let us know how these things work for you. In my experience, everything has a trade-off. Spiderwire fishing line is quite abrasive--if you pull any length through a loop on your tarp, for instance, be careful not to cut the material. And as I said before, be careful not to get it wraped around your fingers--I have a special pair of clips in my tackel box to cut the stuff because my knife wouldn't cut it. I have seen ti spokes at a bike shop--I had to ask to find them, I didn't buy them. I am always looking to save weight but I like things to be hassel-free. I'm just not willing to trade ease of setup for a few grams, especially when just leaving something of marginal benefit at home can save many ounces. My gear is part of my lifestyle, so I view untangling fishing line in the dark after my bike spoke tent pegs dropped the tarp in my face at midnight--in the rain, no doubt--just not to be my style. But to each his own. Looking foreward to hearing what you think, grayfox

Tinker
07-22-2012, 03:55
I have used worn out fly fishing line for zipper pulls. It's probably strong enough for secondary lines for a tent. The main lines should be stronger. Spectra works great but doesn't hold knots well.

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 07:53
I have used worn out fly fishing line for zipper pulls. It's probably strong enough for secondary lines for a tent. The main lines should be stronger. Spectra works great but doesn't hold knots well.
Tinker makes an excellent point, if using Spectra (which is great stuff, easy to see, very strong for it's size) tie with a fisherman knot, improved clinch knot, blood knot, grapevine...climbers knot, all cinch type knots, (the more load on them the tighter they get), and fashion yourself a "Marlin Spike" out of one of the spoke tent pegs. Trust me on this ;) Good early mourning Tinker :)

Don H
07-22-2012, 08:17
There was a discussion a while back on backpackinglight.com about using the center wire from a throttle cable as tent pegs. The poster had a homemade tent constructed with window film and homemade wire stakes. The whole outfit was very light. He made stakes out of 7 or 8" lengths of the cable wire and bent a complete loop at the top so that the tent line couldn't come off the peg. You can find the article on the Philmont forum on backpackinglight.com under "homemade tents".

I tried it but didn't think it held good enough.

Connie
07-22-2012, 10:26
Spokes? I thought of all people you would use spokes. My bad.

Maybe DT's flat blade spokes used for racing? No temptation, there?

Well, I like the idea of bamboo skewers. If they don't work out well, at least I could kebabs.

I do like these lightweight stakes. http://gossamergear.com/shelters/tite-lite-v-stake-2.html

I like Z-packs 1.5 mm Z-Line Spectra Cord and Micro Line Loc Guy Line Adjuster. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml

edit: I don't like the idea of fishing line in the woods. It kills grazing animals, if any is left around. I also don't like to see it hanging from branches of trees, if used to bear bag.

dla
07-22-2012, 17:59
I was on base last week and came across fishing line that looked like small rope. I said to myself this would be some good light weight rope to tie my tent/trap down with. Has anyone used fishing line for this? If so what type/test did you use? Also I was reading where some hikers was using bicycle spokes for stakes. Any information on this? Thanks HS

I've used fishing line - pretty good if you get the right stuff. The following might help -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0MrLgGWlQ

hikingshoes
07-22-2012, 23:20
dla,
Thanks for the video.. I got turn on to this Zing-It line from HF.. Looks like im going to check this out as well..Thanks,HS

Drybones
07-23-2012, 09:30
Thanks,grayfox
I was talking about titanium spokes sorry guys.. Why I'm looking into this is? It's all about the weight up to some point,when I got back into hiking my pack was5lbs with no gear in it, and with3-4 days of food/gear it was 45-50lbs,now its 25lbs w/4 days of food and1L of h2o .. I'm just looking to same a little weight is all.

Excellent job getting the weight down.

Hairbear
07-23-2012, 17:19
I've used fishing line - pretty good if you get the right stuff. The following might help -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0MrLgGWlQthis is the line i use to control trees sometimes when cutting them down.we shoot the rope into the top of the trees with a weighted shot bag and a big sling shot.when the shot bag makes it to the ground we tie half inch arbor plex into the small zing it line and pull that into the trees.the zing it line will take one or two people pulling on it well,but if the rope sticks in a fork you can break it but it will take quite a bit of pull for one person before it does.

Bootbanger
07-23-2012, 19:44
Not sure about the bike spokes.... I use a very light weight aluminum stake that came with my Sierra Design Tent. They bend pretty easily if you are not careful, but they seem to hold in the ground pretty good.

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 20:01
I just gotta say, how much weight can be saved by using fishing line vs. mason's line vs. spectra, I mean I know there's a difference but, Dam really!, even the titanium spokes available can't weigh much more than a spoke, what's all the hoopla? I guess it's a gram weenie thing :)

Hairbear
07-23-2012, 21:58
something to think about this codage is strong enough to make your rain fly the weakest link, and will probably tear the bageezis out of it in a strong wind.i would definately tie some bungie cord type material on the ends of the zing it line to have some give.wouldnt want to be in the middle of nowhere with no rain fly.:-?

Tinker
07-24-2012, 00:01
About stakes: I've found that most places on the AT, the titanium skewer stakes I've used don't have much holding power (sand or duff). They work best in good solid turf grasses (sod) or compacted mineral soil (you can find that pretty easily, but it's often full of rocks which prevent good stake placement). I've recently been using a combination of MSR Groundhog and Kelty No-bendium eight side (or is it six?:-? - I'm not getting up to look :D) aluminum stakes. Ti skewer stakes don't have much surface area, so they tend to pull out on wet, windy days and nights.