PDA

View Full Version : Slackpacking

10-K
07-20-2012, 17:52
I've talked to a couple of people who are almost downright hostile when it comes to slackpacking and I don't get it.

Man I love catching a ride 20-25 miles up the trail and hiking back to the hostel or wherever with a daypack full of snacks. I can move quick, my back doesn't hurt and not carrying a pack I'm about 1000 more times to take a blue blaze and check out a view or sight.

Also that's a section you don't have to hike wearing a pack and you can start hiking further up the trail too - that's like an added bonus.

Why do some hikers look down on slackpacking? Are they just stupid or are they jealous?

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 18:01
I guess there purists, makes not a tinkers dam to me, I'll always do what I feel I need to do, despite the ridicule. In fact for many older hikers who have some degenerative disc (eh hm) It's a great way to go. Again, who cares?.....only someone who doesn't matter anyway, not to be rude about it, but if there gonna put the stuff on me for doing it, I'd just rather not deal with em. just my 6 sense. happy hiking

Cookerhiker
07-20-2012, 18:04
...Why do some hikers look down on slackpacking? Are they just stupid or are they jealous?

Or perhaps arrogance, condescension, snobbery - a superiority complex. As Mags would say HMHDI!

10-K
07-20-2012, 18:08
Yeah.. but I just don't get the whole purist thing..

What's so much purer about carrying 10-40 lbs on your back when you don't have to?

coheterojo
07-20-2012, 18:44
I've never hiked an inch of the trail in a slack pack fashion. I really don't care what other people do. I have noticed that many slackpackers seem to be somewhat apologetic when I meet them going the other way. Why is that?
As I said I have no issues with other people slackpacking. I just don't see the need. I love backpacking. It almost seems like playing hookey from school or something. Why would I want to take a break from something I love doing?

Plus I wouldn't want to tarnish the directional integrity of my thruhike.:D

4shot
07-20-2012, 19:55
this is another example of a "hiking" topic that is only discussed on the interwebs. Who cares which direction one goes/how many miles per day/the trails one walks on/or whether or not one is walking with or without a pack? These things are rarely if ever discussed by hikers who are actually using the trail as best as I remember.

Double Wide
07-20-2012, 20:06
I imagine that the people that get hostile about slackpacking have the same type of killjoy mentality as the wet-blankets who have to expound on why trail magic and hiker feeds are such a blight on the trail community. My guess is that it's a healthy dose of insecurity disguised as a smug sense of superiority.

Who gives a flying f about how other people are hiking? At least they're out there instead of inside on the couch playing video games. AmIright?

hikerboy57
07-20-2012, 20:26
I wonder what myron avery would say
..i havr a feeling he would scold the purists.!

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2012, 20:43
I've talked to a couple of people who are almost downright hostile when it comes to slackpacking and I don't get it.

Man I love catching a ride 20-25 miles up the trail and hiking back to the hostel or wherever with a daypack full of snacks. I can move quick, my back doesn't hurt and not carrying a pack I'm about 1000 more times to take a blue blaze and check out a view or sight.

Also that's a section you don't have to hike wearing a pack and you can start hiking further up the trail too - that's like an added bonus.

Why do some hikers look down on slackpacking? Are they just stupid or are they jealous?Just for clarification of my many posts about slackpackers. I'm one of those people that give slackpackers a lot of shlt, but not for the same reason as the majority. I don't care anything about purity of a hike; I don't even care if someone slackpacks. I just found it funny when I was out there that many of the hikers were young and idealistic and you would hear the same ol' garbage coming from them about the evils of the U.S. and big oil and global warming and all the harm we were doing to the planet, blah, blah, blah:rolleyes:. Yet those guys were bigtime slackpackers, I mean big time! And once they started it was like a drug, they just kept doing it, they were always talking of their plans for the next slackpack.

I just always got a chuckle out of that :) But in the big picture, I don't care one little bit if someone slackpacks.

Supreme Being
07-20-2012, 21:13
Just for clarification of my many posts about slackpackers. I'm one of those people that give slackpackers a lot of shlt, but not for the same reason as the majority. I don't care anything about purity of a hike; I don't even care if someone slackpacks. I just found it funny when I was out there that many of the hikers were young and idealistic and you would hear the same ol' garbage coming from them about the evils of the U.S. and big oil and global warming and all the harm we were doing to the planet, blah, blah, blah:rolleyes:. Yet those guys were bigtime slackpackers, I mean big time! And once they started it was like a drug, they just kept doing it, they were always talking of their plans for the next slackpack.

I just always got a chuckle out of that :) But in the big picture, I don't care one little bit if someone slackpacks.

And there you have it folks! A hiker who equates slack packing to global warning and drug addiction! When I hear opinions such as this, I am reminded more than ever to HYOH and by myself.

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2012, 21:16
And there you have it folks! A hiker who equates slack packing to global warning and drug addiction! When I hear opinions such as this, I am reminded more than ever to HYOH and by myself.You need to slow down and read my post again, you're completely off the mark.

4shot
07-20-2012, 21:19
Is that you God? If so, what are Your thoughts on which type of stove is best for a thru hike? Kthx.

WingedMonkey
07-20-2012, 21:22
Slackpacking is the gateway drug to yellow blazing.

:banana

10-K
07-20-2012, 21:28
Slackpacking is the gateway drug to yellow blazing.

You might be right... When we were hiking the MST trail this week I kept thinking about just hiking on the BRP instead of the trail because that's where the views were. The MST was pretty much viewless for long stretches (miles) - the parkway is awesome...

10-K
07-20-2012, 21:30
Just for clarification of my many posts about slackpackers. I'm one of those people that give slackpackers a lot of shlt, but not for the same reason as the majority. I don't care anything about purity of a hike; I don't even care if someone slackpacks. I just found it funny when I was out there that many of the hikers were young and idealistic and you would hear the same ol' garbage coming from them about the evils of the U.S. and big oil and global warming and all the harm we were doing to the planet, blah, blah, blah:rolleyes:. Yet those guys were bigtime slackpackers, I mean big time! And once they started it was like a drug, they just kept doing it, they were always talking of their plans for the next slackpack.

John, I'm not sure I'm making the connection. Are you talking about the fuel it takes to deliver a slackpacker to their starting point for them to hike back? Sorry.. I must not have my comprehension hat on tonight.....

10-K
07-20-2012, 21:31
Is that you God? If so, what are Your thoughts on which type of stove is best for a thru hike? Kthx.

That would be a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF)

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2012, 21:43
John, I'm not sure I'm making the connection. Are you talking about the fuel it takes to deliver a slackpacker to their starting point for them to hike back? Sorry.. I must not have my comprehension hat on tonight.....The slackpacking I saw a lot of required a driver to drive them out to a point north and they'd hike back south to the hostel/outfitter/town and then would have to be driven out to that same point the next day so they could continue their normal nobo hike. It adds up after a while. I remember seeing guys trying to pool money and hikers (to reduce costs) and "shopping aroud" for the cheapest shuttle in just about every town. It did seem to be addicting, so remember children, Just say no :)

Cookerhiker
07-20-2012, 21:45
John, I'm not sure I'm making the connection. Are you talking about the fuel it takes to deliver a slackpacker to their starting point for them to hike back? Sorry.. I must not have my comprehension hat on tonight.....

Ever since WB decided to ban political discussions, Mr. "Gault" looks for every opening he can seize to promulgate his climate-change-is-a-hoax and those-who-are-concerned-are-ill-informed-and-wimpy-ninnies agenda.

It's unfortunate because he often has pertinent and useful insights & experiences on WB's sanctioned subjects i.e. hiking. But he can't resist...

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2012, 21:49
Ever since WB decided to ban political discussions, Mr. "Gault" looks for every opening he can seize to promulgate his climate-change-is-a-hoax and those-who-are-concerned-are-ill-informed-and-wimpy-ninnies agenda.

It's unfortunate because he often has pertinent and useful insights & experiences on WB's sanctioned subjects i.e. hiking. But he can't resist...
Well, I wouldn't say wimpy-ninnies ;)

hikerboy57
07-20-2012, 21:53
That would be a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF)

and of course sea salt.
can't believe you beat me to it.

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 21:53

It's unfortunate because he often has pertinent and useful insights & experiences on WB's sanctioned subjects i.e. hiking. But he can't resist...I don't think John was being opportunistic at all, in fact he brings a very good argument to the table, most don't consider there foot print when bloviating about popular causes and rightous statement.

Supreme Being
07-20-2012, 21:57
I don't think John was being opportunistic at all, in fact he brings a very good argument to the table, most don't consider there foot print when bloviating about popular causes and rightous statement.

And let's all get off our computers and join the Amish community! I think there are a few in PA!

hikerboy57
07-20-2012, 21:59
Imho,both on and off trail, the more rigid you're thinking the less satisfying your life becomes. I reserve the right to change my plans. who cares what others think.

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 22:00
And let's all get off our computers and join the Amish community! I think there are a few in PA!No way, then I wouldn't have anywhere to visit, i'd be to much like home, I recycle, but my feet print are as dirty as the next, and I know it....but at least I know it.

max patch
07-20-2012, 22:03
If you LIKE slackpacking then you'll LOVE Mr. Doyles "Expedition". Sign up now, 2015 will be here before you know it.

10-K
07-20-2012, 22:08
If you LIKE slackpacking then you'll LOVE Mr. Doyles "Expedition". Sign up now, 2015 will be here before you know it.

I would slackpack all the way to Maine if I could but not with a group.

Of course you can't and you have to carry a pack if you're going to seriously hike, which I do most of the time.

ChinMusic
07-20-2012, 22:08

I think you missed the point too. It was the hypocrisy that was on display.

It is akin to being lectured about burning a Pop Tart wrapper in the fire and finding out the complainer drove an SUV 400 miles for a weekend hike.

rocketsocks
07-20-2012, 22:10
I think you missed the point too. It was the hypocrisy that was on display.

It is akin to being lectured about burning a Pop Tart wrapper in the fire and finding out the complainer drove an SUV 400 miles for a weekend hike.Bee I in geo

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2012, 22:25
Let me just say that I do zero in on Hypocrisy a lot, it's one of my many pet peeves. However, I do also focus on global warming, but not so much the actual issue, but more the bigger issue, and that's nature. Nature confuses me. I don't know what it is, but I hear it defined all the time by people telling us how to live and what we need to do to save this planet, i.e. go back to nature and natural living...and believe it or not, that's something I wrestle with a lot and I see it in almost every subject, including slackpacking. Don't we hike to get back to nature? Why would we want to drive in a car and support the evil oil companies spilling massive amount of oil in our waters....

But I digress, I gotta go look for UFO's now :D

Lone Wolf
07-20-2012, 22:38
"slackpacking" is just about the destination and covering miles. i won't "slackpack" folks thru the grayson highlands for example cuz to run thru it just to get back to town is sad in my book. the patch and certificate ain't all that

T.S.Kobzol
07-20-2012, 23:04
I could probably manufacture an opinion about slackpacking ... I guess I could care about that topic while I sit at this stupid computer but once you let me out of the cage and I'm outdoors, I don't give a rats a$$ what you do as long as you don't interfere with my happines. :-)

Rasty
07-20-2012, 23:11
I don't think John was being opportunistic at all, in fact he brings a very good argument to the table, most don't consider there foot print when bloviating about popular causes and rightous statement.

And let's all get off our computers and join the Amish community! I think there are a few in PA!

I can't grow a beard to save my life. Love the barns though.

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 01:47
I can't grow a beard to save my life. Love the barns though.Me either....baby face....and that's the way I like it, clean shaven, and high and tight. And I like them little pygmy goats, I like how they always head butt my shins, it gets me laughing every time, too funny, it just gets me. :)

10-K
07-21-2012, 05:37
I can't believe anybody would have a problem hiking without a pack. Blows my mind. Like there's something wrong with walking on a trail without all the toil.

moytoy
07-21-2012, 05:55
I can't believe anybody would have a problem hiking without a pack. Blows my mind. Like there's something wrong with walking on a trail without all the toil.
It's too early in the morning to be worrying about what other people think. If it feels good do it!

OzJacko
07-21-2012, 06:41
To me the basic principles of HYOH demand that anyone can do as they damn well want!
I personally do not intend to slackpack any of the AT next year but it's none of my business if anyone else does.
No one has to justify why they have the attitudes they have to slackpacking, "directional integrity" or even blue blazing.
Yellow blazing and calling it a through hike might be pushing it but that's not my business.
If I complete a thru and get a 2000 miler patch, I won't feel it's cheapened by someone else getting one who took an easier route because I know what I'll have done to earn it.
Next we will have arguments over whether you're a folder or a scruncher with your toilet paper.

Sampson
07-21-2012, 06:54
I imagine that the people that get hostile about slackpacking have the same type of killjoy mentality as the wet-blankets who have to expound on why trail magic and hiker feeds are such a blight on the trail community. My guess is that it's a healthy dose of insecurity disguised as a smug sense of superiority.

Who gives a flying f about how other people are hiking? At least they're out there instead of inside on the couch playing video games. AmIright?

I could probably manufacture an opinion about slackpacking ... I guess I could care about that topic while I sit at this stupid computer but once you let me out of the cage and I'm outdoors, I don't give a rats a$$ what you do as long as you don't interfere with my happines. :-)

I couldn't agree more.

hikerboy57
07-21-2012, 07:01
the rules are there are no rules. 1 day the purists will wear gps tracking devices to insure their own self imposed compliance

max patch
07-21-2012, 08:21
For ME - I don't give a rats azz what YOU do - I won't slack on a thru because I want to be self sufficient and slack packing is not. Also, it is important to ME on a GA-ME hike to hike every mile NOBO. Hiking a section SOBO means I did not hike GA TO ME; may have covered all the miles but its not the same thing.

These are MY rules not intended for anyone else.

When I can't carry a pack I'll give Warren a call. :)

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 08:43
Hey John G. I read that post twice and well didn't get it, just wasn't clear at all. Your follow up cleared it up... So if folks are driving out to the trail -is that a problem? Really? Too much hot air out the tailpipe huh....OK

I love Slackpacking...been doing it for years. When Hiking with the club I ran into a guy at the back of the line and he looked a little overloaded. SO I had to ask because it was a circle hike, why all the gear? His bomb of an explanation - "I have to carry additional essentials for the group in case there's an emergency" yup self appointed ambulance chaser! The entire hike that morning was within five minutes of three fire companies.

Yep I have hit many times with the weird comments when with the hiking groups and BSA I take the apropriate amount of gear to be comfortable, my comfort level is not the same as others. My idea of slackpacking is not trying to do the entire AT with that method.

http://www.slackpacker.com/checklist.html

10-K
07-21-2012, 09:18
For ME - I don't give a rats azz what YOU do - I won't slack on a thru because I want to be self sufficient and slack packing is not. Also, it is important to ME on a GA-ME hike to hike every mile NOBO. Hiking a section SOBO means I did not hike GA TO ME; may have covered all the miles but its not the same thing.

These are MY rules not intended for anyone else.

When I can't carry a pack I'll give Warren a call. :)

I wasn't going to go into it but it does seem like the people who diss slackpacking are also usually the same people who hike in only one direction. I will never understand the logic behind either but it doesn't matter really.

My only rule was to pass every white blaze between the plaque at Springer and the terminus sign on top of Kathadin - which I did.

My analness only extended as far as leaving a shelter the same way I came in so I wouldn't miss even an inch of trail.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 09:28
Am I missing something here? if someone decides to section hike without a pack this is a problem for someone else?

ChinMusic
07-21-2012, 09:30
I wasn't going to go into it but it does seem like the people who diss slackpacking are also usually the same people who hike in only one direction. I will never understand the logic behind either but it doesn't matter really.

My only rule was to pass every white blaze between the plaque at Springer and the terminus sign on top of Kathadin - which I did.

My analness only extended as far as leaving a shelter the same way I came in so I wouldn't miss even an inch of trail.

Quite a conflict there. Can't understand unidirectional but does understand not leaving a shelter via a second access.

For me: My intent for '13 is to remain unidirectional. As for slackpacking, not all that appealing to me. I have no clue why folks worry about the path into a shelter. When they go off the trail to take a crap, do they mark the point they walked in so as to not miss a "section"?

I do reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks............;)

Cookerhiker
07-21-2012, 09:32
this is another example of a "hiking" topic that is only discussed on the interwebs. Who cares which direction one goes/how many miles per day/the trails one walks on/or whether or not one is walking with or without a pack? These things are rarely if ever discussed by hikers who are actually using the trail as best as I remember.

Best post of the thread.

10K when you started this, you mentioned you had talked to people who diss'ed slackpacking; I guess your conversations were face-to-face. Were these people you met on the trail who were (presumably) full-pack backpacking or did your conversation occur in town or similar non-hiking setting?

10-K
07-21-2012, 09:34
When they go off the trail to take a crap, do they mark the point they walked in so as to not miss a "section"?

Actually... yes. :)

I can tell you with as much certainty as a human can possibly have that I hiked every inch of the AT as it existed then.

Edited to add.. Actually, I usually backtrack a few feet just to make double sure I didn't miss anything... I'm not kidding.

OzJacko
07-21-2012, 09:35
Am I missing something here? if someone decides to section hike without a pack this is a problem for someone else?
As far as I can see it's not a problem for a thru hike and in the case of a section hike it doesn't actually exist as an issue.
I know we sit here keying away to compensate for not being able to get out and hike but I just don't get how everyone agrees with HYOH and then tears strips of people that don't do it their way.
To the OP - IGNORE any criticism. ENJOY it YOUR way.

10-K
07-21-2012, 09:39
Best post of the thread.

10K when you started this, you mentioned you had talked to people who diss'ed slackpacking; I guess your conversations were face-to-face. Were these people you met on the trail who were (presumably) full-pack backpacking or did your conversation occur in town or similar non-hiking setting?

The most memorable conversation about it was at the Hiker Hostel in Glencliff. I was getting ready to slackpack the 26 miles from Franconia Notch back to the hostel and Uncle Walt started in on how I wasn't really hiking the trail the way it was meant to be hiked, that he had never once in 20,000 miles (I did not make up that number) that he had never slackpacked, etc. etc. It wasn't long before others joined in and I was severely outnumbered.

But, I slackpacked those 26 miles like I wanted to... HYOH and all. :)

I guess what gives me the ability not to care is that with or without a pack I can outhike most people pretty easy and I'm old.

Cookerhiker
07-21-2012, 09:42
...I can tell you with as much certainty as a human can possibly have that I hiked every inch of the AT as it existed then.

Like me, you section-hiked the entire Trail and like me, you did some SOBO and some NOBO.

So....when you ended one section at a road crossing and returned at some point - months, years later whatever - and covered the section on the other side of the road, did you make it a point to cross the road. Did you leave any road crossings between sections untrod?

For my part, I don't know - my sectioning took 28 years.:) Wrote all the sections down but don't know about the road crossings.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2012, 09:47
Hey John G. I read that post twice and well didn't get it, just wasn't clear at all. Your follow up cleared it up... So if folks are driving out to the trail -is that a problem? Really? Too much hot air out the tailpipe huh....OK

I love Slackpacking...been doing it for years. When Hiking with the club I ran into a guy at the back of the line and he looked a little overloaded. SO I had to ask because it was a circle hike, why all the gear? His bomb of an explanation - "I have to carry additional essentials for the group in case there's an emergency" yup self appointed ambulance chaser! The entire hike that morning was within five minutes of three fire companies.

Yep I have hit many times with the weird comments when with the hiking groups and BSA I take the apropriate amount of gear to be comfortable, my comfort level is not the same as others. My idea of slackpacking is not trying to do the entire AT with that method.

http://www.slackpacker.com/checklist.html
I don't care how you or anyone hikes. But I don't live in a vacuum, when people talk I listen. And for some reason I remember what people say and I'm always bouncing that off their actions and as a result I've seen a lot of hypocrisy on many slackpackers. I was just sharing that observation. But I don't care if they slackpack and I definitely don't care if you slackpack. But you better start pumping iron to fix that knee, that I do care about ;)

Cookerhiker
07-21-2012, 09:47
...I guess what gives me the ability not to care is that ... and I'm old.

If you can use that part of the rationale, then so can I.;)

10-K
07-21-2012, 09:48
Like me, you section-hiked the entire Trail and like me, you did some SOBO and some NOBO.

So....when you ended one section at a road crossing and returned at some point - months, years later whatever - and covered the section on the other side of the road, did you make it a point to cross the road. Did you leave any road crossings between sections untrod?

For my part, I don't know - my sectioning took 28 years.:) Wrote all the sections down but don't know about the road crossings.

No missed road crossing. Nothing.... I am very particular about that when I hike a trail. I'll do the same for the Long Trail in a few weeks.

Same for the BMT and every other trail I've hiked from end to end.

It took me 2 years to hike the entire trail and none of it is unhiked for sure for sure.

10-K
07-21-2012, 09:51
You know I am aware that the very nature of this thread means that there will never be a meeting of the minds on the subject of slackpacking...

Mainly I'm just idling waiting to hit the Long Trail in 10 days... :)

WingedMonkey
07-21-2012, 09:53
No missed road crossing. Nothing.... I am very particular about that when I hike a trail.

If they had known that they wouldn't have had time to scold at you slackpacking...that would have been the topic

ChinMusic
07-21-2012, 10:00
Actually... yes. :)

I can tell you with as much certainty as a human can possibly have that I hiked every inch of the AT as it existed then.

Edited to add.. Actually, I usually backtrack a few feet just to make double sure I didn't miss anything... I'm not kidding.

Do you climb over blowdowns too...........heheh

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 10:05
10-K I am a little surprised you ran into some criticism when not hiking with a group. How did they keep up to you and talk in the first place?:cool:

If my dad or myself didn't like where the conversation was going we hike a little faster!

10-K
07-21-2012, 10:11
Do you climb over blowdowns too...........heheh

So far I've been lucky. :)

Lando11
07-21-2012, 10:11
i have no issue with slackpacking. i prob slacked 10-15 times on my thru last year. my only rule with slacking was that i could only walk north, which limited my options in many areas but i was okay with that. also once i upgraded a bunch of gear and got my full pack to about 20 lbs with 4ish days of food i never saw the point in slacking. i saw the minor loss in weight as nothing more than a tease

10-K
07-21-2012, 10:14
I think we're all a little weird if you want to know the truth.

Mountain Mike
07-21-2012, 10:24
"A little"? I'd say that's an understatement. When I just got off the LT due to ankle injury my friends were saying I was out for a long time (two weeks) while I was thinking to short of a time.

canoe
07-21-2012, 10:30
You all know if your pack doesnt weigh 50lbs or more it does nt count. Right?

Mountain Mike
07-21-2012, 10:33
I got to slackpack a few times on my hikes. On the AT it was a hiker when one hiker got board with the green tunnel he decided to run support for his wife whom wanted to continue her thru. He would take packs in the am & arrange for a spot to meet at night close to campground/shelter. We'd pick up our pack & either go back or continue on to next camping spot. The only thing I dislike about slack packing is you lose the ability to stop if you find a place you would like to stop & stay.

Mountain Mike
07-21-2012, 10:37
I got a waiver from the HCHH.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 11:04
You all know if your pack doesnt weigh 50lbs or more it does nt count. Right?

I think we're all a little weird if you want to know the truth.

Yea ask this guy......

Rasty
07-21-2012, 11:31
Yea ask this guy......

That is the worst ensemble ever! The only thing missing is rainbow suspenders!:eek:

T.S.Kobzol
07-21-2012, 11:41
I think that situation marks the beginning of Kobzol going postal. ;-) If this happened to me I would go on such a profanity laden tirade to make those people remember me for the rest of their lives :D

The most memorable conversation about it was at the Hiker Hostel in Glencliff. I was getting ready to slackpack the 26 miles from Franconia Notch back to the hostel and Uncle Walt started in on how I wasn't really hiking the trail the way it was meant to be hiked, that he had never once in 20,000 miles (I did not make up that number) that he had never slackpacked, etc. etc. It wasn't long before others joined in and I was severely outnumbered.

tdoczi
07-21-2012, 13:53

But, I slackpacked those 26 miles like I wanted to... HYOH and all. :)

I guess what gives me the ability not to care is that with or without a pack I can outhike most people pretty easy and I'm old.

that sort of things strikes me as being in the same vein as that handful of people around here last year who claimed what JPD did was no big deal because she didnt carry a pack while doing it and that they too could in fact do the same if not better if they were willing to stoop to her level.

that said, from a thru hike perspective i've always thought it a little odd just how many people flip and hike moosilauke southbound while on a northbound thru. i dont care what they do but it always seemed a little bit of an odd concept to me. it takes away the feeling of having walked all the way to maine, as someone else has pointed out.

atmilkman
07-21-2012, 14:27
Isn't one of the common practices that when you get to Baxter that you swap out your pack for one of the daypacks from the Ranger Station to summit Katahdin? Just wondering that if you carried your pack all the way to Maine and did this would you be cosidered a "slacker" and have ruined the integrity and purity of your hike. Would you forever be frowned upon?

ChinMusic
07-21-2012, 14:34
Isn't one of the common practices that when you get to Baxter that you swap out your pack for one of the daypacks from the Ranger Station to summit Katahdin? Just wondering that if you carried your pack all the way to Maine and did this would you be cosidered a "slacker" and have ruined the integrity and purity of your hike. Would you forever be frowned upon?
One of the purposes of the lighter pack is to make it easier for rescuers. It is actually a tad bit selfish to carry more.

WingedMonkey
07-21-2012, 14:34
Isn't one of the common practices that when you get to Baxter that you swap out your pack for one of the daypacks from the Ranger Station to summit Katahdin?

I carried my pack to Katahdin, it went that far it deserved to finish. Besides I still wasn't sure I was gonna make it.

;)

atmilkman
07-21-2012, 14:38
One of the purposes of the lighter pack is to make it easier for rescuers. It is actually a tad bit selfish to carry more.
This reason makes perfect sense.

soilman
07-21-2012, 14:52
I slacked some of the last sections of my first AT hike so I have nothing against slack packing. On my thru hike I made a conscious decision to not slack pack. I was invited to join two other hikers in Stratton to slack a section and I declined. They asked me why and I told them I had gone this far without slack packing and had no desire to start. To me it was like hitting the easy button. I don't understand why it okay for some on this thread to support slack packing while at the same time ridiculing "purists". Wouldn't this world be awful boring if everyone was the same.

Winds
07-21-2012, 15:15
You know I am aware that the very nature of this thread means that there will never be a meeting of the minds on the subject of slackpacking... :)

Not sure I understand the intent of the post, the messages following, or the inevitable meaning here OTHER THAN the consensus appears to be: Who cares?

~ 0.02

Cookerhiker
07-21-2012, 15:34
I carried my pack to Katahdin, it went that far it deserved to finish.....

;)

You have company:

"Someone suggested the pack could be left behind but my answer to that was emphatic. That faithful old framepack had come all the way with me from Georgia and it wouldn't be left behind on the last five miles."

Earl Shaffer, Walking with Spring. Summitted August 5, 1948.

Pathfinder1
07-21-2012, 15:42
Double Wide;

Hi...

Well put, Double Wide...!!

Capt Nat
07-21-2012, 17:23
I just wish a concensus could be reached on all this kind of stuff because the sole reason I hike is to please and meet the approval of everyone else. This is hard to do when there is a lack of agreement. Somehow, I'll find a way to please everybody!

coach lou
07-21-2012, 17:26
I just wish a concensus could be reached on all this kind of stuff because the sole reason I hike is to please and meet the approval of everyone else. This is hard to do when there is a lack of agreement. Somehow, I'll find a way to please everybody!

Skipper, you really should stop by HBs Cafe:welcome

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 17:28
I just wish a concensus could be reached on all this kind of stuff because the sole reason I hike is to please and meet the approval of everyone else. This is hard to do when there is a lack of agreement. Somehow, I'll find a way to please everybody! there's the problem, were all people pleasers, I agree with the post that said "this stuff only matters on-line", nobody really cares otherwise, and neither do I, but it does make for some interesting arguments!

OzJacko
07-21-2012, 17:28
Reading through the thread there is a consensus.
What each person does is there own business.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 17:30
Capt Nat, its really hard to Slackpack and brownose at the same time....:rolleyes:

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 17:31
Capt Nat, its really hard to Slackpack and brownose at the same time....:rolleyes:You mean with the A-Ray of Solar panels? they've come along way.:)

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 17:33
Capt Nat, its really hard to Slackpack and brownose at the same time....:rolleyes:Oh, you said brown nose, I thought it said Browser.

Rasty
07-21-2012, 18:05

One the best posts ever! That's why your the Captain. :)

The Old Chief
07-22-2012, 11:55
Some hikers do get upset about slackpacking while they are hiking. You ought to have heard the tongue lashing I got in 2002 from this guy. I think he explains his philosophy pretty well in the journal entry below. What is really funny though, is that he is able to justify his little slackpack.
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=13144

atmilkman
07-22-2012, 12:07
Some hikers do get upset about slackpacking while they are hiking. You ought to have heard the tongue lashing I got in 2002 from this guy. I think he explains his philosophy pretty well in the journal entry below. What is really funny though, is that he is able to justify his little slackpack.
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=13144
I like the line "I am sorry but you didn't do what I'm doing". Classic.

Slo-go'en
07-22-2012, 12:47
My only problem with slackpacking is that it can get darn expensive if you do it more then once or twice. The extra days at the hostel or other accomidations, all the resturant meals cuz it's easy and the cost of the shuttles to and from. It can add up quick!

Capt Nat
07-22-2012, 13:01
Someone said I didn't need trekking poles, so I threw them away. I was told not to wear gore tex boots, so I threw them away. Someone said my pack was too heavy so I got rid of it. Dutifully following instructions, I left my map, compass, snake bite kit, folding saw, knife, rain gear, clothes, crocs, tent, coat, hat, and first aid kit. Now I'm walking down the trail barefooted and naked and I'm acused of slackpacking when it's not hike naked day...

Wise Old Owl
07-22-2012, 13:07
16697I am always amazed to see so many people have large packs and tons of gear after so many years of books and articles on doing it lighter and cheap!.... nobody would argue over meeting Daniel Boone with his lack of a pack and huge outdoor exsperience. Or seeing Earl Shaffers,small kit16698Folks just enjoy hiking, backpacking or slackpacking... there's room for all on the trail....while you can....

stumpknocker
07-22-2012, 16:01
I don't post a lot on WB, but I did want to thank everyone for trying to sort all this stuff out. I'm eagerly awaiting the final decision.

I have some questions about what you all think is acceptable hiking attire, and some food questions, but I'll wait for those questions until someone here tells me how to walk.

10-K
07-22-2012, 16:04
I don't post a lot on WB, but I did want to thank everyone for trying to sort all this stuff out. I'm eagerly awaiting the final decision.

I have some questions about what you all think is acceptable hiking attire, and some food questions, but I'll wait for those questions until someone here tells me how to walk.

This and more.. stay tuned.

We're going to talk about how much money you need to thru hike in a minute. :)

ChinMusic
07-22-2012, 16:25

You may want to visit the cyber cafe. It is a wealth of info.

And were you auditioning for a Dos Equis commercial?

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 16:36
Someone said I didn't need trekking poles, so I threw them away. I was told not to wear gore tex boots, so I threw them away. Someone said my pack was too heavy so I got rid of it. Dutifully following instructions, I left my map, compass, snake bite kit, folding saw, knife, rain gear, clothes, crocs, tent, coat, hat, and first aid kit. Now I'm walking down the trail barefooted and naked and I'm acused of slackpacking when it's not hike naked day...That pretty funny, and so true, +:-?

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 16:39
Yea ask this guy......

16690Love the glasses:rolleyes::D

MuddyWaters
07-22-2012, 16:40
Obviously some think it is less pure not to have carried your pack the whole way, and they may be right.

But by the same logic, it could be considered less pure to spend nights off the trail in hotels and hostels, or to eat in restaurants, to travel in groups with each others support, to hike less than X miles per day, to take zero days, etc.

Basically, anything that makes it EASIER, can be considered by someone, in some way, to cheapen the experience. How can you logically differentiate between any of them?

HYOH

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 16:47
Obviously some think it is less pure not to have carried your pack the whole way, and they may be right.

But by the same logic, it could be considered less pure to spend nights off the trail in hotels and hostels, or to eat in restaurants, to travel in groups with each others support, to hike less than X miles per day, to take zero days, etc.

Basically, anything that makes it EASIER, can be considered by someone, in some way, to cheapen the experience. How can you logically differentiate between any of them?

HYOH Excellent point Mr. Waters, some come from other parts of the Country and some even out of our Country, if it were me hiking, and I got that close to attractions I wanted to see, (knowing I may not get this way again) ie; New York City, Washington DC, or whatever, you can be Damn sure I'm taking a Blue Blaze or whatever trail gets me there, those that object will just have to wait for my next hike, maybe it'll be more to there liking ;)

The Old Chief
07-22-2012, 17:07

Stump you're the kind of hiker that would use a support crew to hike the MST aren't you? That way you could slack all you wanted too. Oh yeah, you are also the kind of hiker that would bike all the road walks on the MST. You will probably demand hot cooked meals every night. And instead of using your Sawyer in-line water filter you will want your support crew to meet you at all road crossings with fresh water. Your support crew must be saints!!

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 18:25

You may want to visit the cyber cafe. It is a wealth of info.

And were you auditioning for a Dos Equis commercial?Yep, we wont tell you how to walk, but we will tell you where to go :D and then some, schwing on by. ;)

4shot
07-22-2012, 19:14

you have it backwards...you must go. Only then can they tell you what you did wrong.It is a given that all will fail somewhere except the Promised One who has been foretold to us by the multitudes of trail angels. We await patiently for this Great Happening (which may or may not coincide with the Mayan calendar thing we are dealing with...coincidence? Perhaps not.) Until then brother, peace be with you and happy trails. Go forth and walk.

fredmugs
07-22-2012, 19:53
I slacked quite a bit of the AT but I wasn't in it for the backpacking experience or to sing Greatful Dead tunes either. I did it as a test of my personal fitness and a challenge to keep myself in shape the last 9 years. Hard telling how fat I would be today if I had not done that first section hike. Like most section hikers we have a limited amount of time to be on the trail and I maximized the hell out of my time. I think I had 15 days of marathon length or longer and half of those days was humping a pack so it wasn't always to just make it easier. I had an opportunity to do the Smokies last year in 2 days and I jumped all over it. A lot of you would claim I couldn't possibly enjoy it but it was overcast and misting the enitre time and I'm really not sure how 5 more days of crappy weather would have made it more enjoyable. I get more enjoyment knowing a did a 41 mile day and backed it up with a 33 mile day.

I've heard all the comments too. Those 10 - 3 hikers don't like it when you wake them up at sunrise.

daddytwosticks
07-23-2012, 07:19
Is it left, right, left... or right, left, right...? :)

WingedMonkey
07-23-2012, 09:11
I imagine that the people that rely on slackpacking are the same helpless type of hikers that rely on trail feeds. My guess is that they just can't make it without help.
I wouldn't want them to not make it because they weren't self reliable or independent. That would make me smug with a sense of superiority.

:D

Mags
07-23-2012, 09:22
Five pages of discussion on what amounts to day hiking on the AT.

Oy vey..

Alleghanian Orogeny
09-05-2012, 15:15
Hello to the community!

I was happily re-introduced to backpacking, the AT, and parts of NC, TN, and VA I had once studied intensely when an Appalachian State geology classmate from the 1970s told me of his friend's through-hike plans back in mid-April 2012. I'm delighted to report that the through-hiker (trail name: Sparky) is now approaching (is now in? his blog is fairly well behind his actual location) the 100 Mile Wilderness and projects a September 22 finish, having survived old age (he's 55), Lyme disease, and a host of foot and ankle problems.

When I learned of Sparky's smartphone/tablet connections, blogging, routine hostel stays, slack-packing, and the trail angel/trail magic, my first thoughts were "how far this has come since I was somewhat familiar with backpacking the AT in the 1970s". Oddly enough, even though I stretched a 4 year bachelor's degree into 5 over in Boone, NC, just 35-40 miles from Elk Park/US 19E crossing, I never backpacked a single segment of the AT. All of my serious backpacking in the '70s and early '80s took place in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and it was pretty much all over once the wife and I starting having kids in the early 1980s. We carried 1960s/early '70s frame backpacks, down bags, foam pads, white gasoline stoves, and wore mostly cotton clothing beneath waterproof covers (Gore-Tex was new and VERY expensive). My first backpack was a used "Hillary" model from Sears and Roebuck, for crying out loud. I bought it from an ASU classmate who'd had it "for many years" as of my 1974 purchase from him, for $15, and in 3 $5 installments.

So, simultaneous to my having thoughts about the differences in Sparky's hike vs. the early- mid-1970s backpacking I best recall, I was gladly exposed to the HYOH philosophy. I'll paraphrase what's been said several times within this thread "why worry about how somebody else does it if it doesn't affect your experience in some material way?" I couldn't agree more with HYOH. Are there really people who would react negatively to me getting to Springer Mountain in an old Ford pickup vs a late-model Prius because my doing so "supports" the evil oil companies and creates more of a carbon footprint than their mode of conveyance? Would some speak disparagingly of me slackpacking or accepting a meal from a trail angel? Can I not enjoy a night in a motel with my wife, kids, and grandkids from place to place along the way? Seriously?

Here's the thing, and I suspect and hope I'm largely preaching to the choir here: Employing slackpacking, trail magic, hostels, and wireless communication here in the second decade of the 21st century is no different in terms of embracing technology changes than employing lightweight stoves, aluminum frame packs, lighter boots, and nylon tents was in the 1970s. We used what made sense at the time vs. older gear and previous methods, and doing so didn't make us one iota less of a lover of the trail nor did it encroach on anybody else's experience in any meaningful way. We did HYOH before it was cool, I suppose.

As far as I'm concerned, if you showed up at Springer Mountain, GA buck naked and barefoot, with no gear whatsoever, and walked the white blazes to Katahdin, having personally foraged for all of your food with your bare hands, made your own clothing from sticks, leaves, and fern fronds, and accepted not a single lifted finger of assistance, eaten nary a restaurant meal, and slept in the great outdoors (not shelters) each and every night, then I'll take your criticism about the way I do things. If that's not the way YOU did it, you're simply describing YOUR own adoption of modern technology vs mine. That being the case, your opinion as to my methods means nothing to me, and I'd appreciate you not wasting my time delivering it.

So here's to any and all who choose to spend time on the AT and any other trail. Let's all HYOH and enjoy the differences in approach and learn from each other. My own driving reason for looking into hiking the AT at age 59-60 in 2015 is likely different, as it should be, than anybody and everybody else's. The AT and its legions of lovers and supporters are done a great, great disservice by those who loudly insist upon their own personal, narrow view of "how it is to be done".

Alleghanian Orogeny

Don H
09-05-2012, 16:46
I slacked 3 days out of Pine Ellis in Andover. Met a self proclaimed purist section hiker (can there be a purist section hiker?) who gave me grief for slacking. I told him that in my opinion after hiking 2,000 miles I was entitled to hit the Easy Button once! A few days later I ran into him at Piazza Rock Lean-to when I stopped for lunch. He had his shoes off and all his gear spread out. I asked if he was quitting so early in the day and he said his feet were tore up and he couldn't hike anymore. He was cutting his trip short and going home. I almost asked him how that purist thing was working out but I felt sorry for him.

10-K
09-05-2012, 16:50
Don, that's what I don't understand myself.

What is so noble about lugging a pack, no matter how much it weighs? It is much more fun to walk freely in the woods.

I mean, carry it if you want to but you don't win a prize for doing it. :)

Don H
09-05-2012, 18:14
10-K, I know it's easier but honestly on a thru with the arrangements, time and cost involved I've concluded it's not something I would do again. It's actually more trouble than it's worth. Also I felt a little uncomfortable not having my pack with me. What would happen if I got hurt and couldn't get to the pick up point?

As far as making distinctions about slacking or not I don't see the big deal either. I mean is a guy lugging a 60 pound pack more of a hiker than someone floating down the trail with 15 pounds?

IrishBASTARD
09-05-2012, 18:40
SLACK PACKING IS this...an enjoyable route of loving NATURE. Have slacked packed A LOT while doing my THRU-HIKE...asked in HARPERS FERRY about if it was legit. Was told "As long as you hike the trail fully without yellow blazing nor aqua blazing you're hiking the trail". Wanted to be able to take it easier and more breaks to take pictures. ANYONE who condemns people who slack pack...need to have "HIKE YOU'RE OWN HIKE" drilled into their heads.

10-K
09-05-2012, 18:48
The only time I will ever slack pack is if it'll buy me an extra day in town. To me it's almost like a zero without losing mileage.

Train Wreck
09-05-2012, 20:08
To Alleghanian Orogeny

Great post. That's all.

Aquonehostel
09-06-2012, 14:05
At the hostel this year (2012) we had packs ranging in weight from 10lb (trail name daypack) to 55 lbs, is the man carrying the 10lb pack, slack-packing or has he just got his s..t together? It's all about the trail and the people hiking it, not how much weight you can carry! Wiggy 2010

colorado_rob
09-06-2012, 14:17
Amusing thread. We all subscribe to HOYH, right? So why does anyone still like to shout out their own Modus Operandi? Human nature, I suppose. Do any of us care what your own personal ethics are for a definition of a "thru hike"?

similar story out here in colorado. We have ~650 peaks over 13,000 feet in altitude. A major accomplishment, at least in some eyes, is to climb them all. But what does a "climb" mean? well, most go by the "3000 foot" rule, meaning if you don't gain (and then lose) at least 3000' in climbing a mountain, it doesn't count. Easy to do for nearly all of them, but a good number of these 13ers are very flat n the approach, and one would have to start many extra miles away to satisfy this "rule". I find this a waste of time and useless, so I ignore it. but this subject gets debated over and over and over again and again and again.

Amusing.

Jeff
09-06-2012, 17:07
Slackpacking is pretty tame stuff compared to yellow blazing. Sadly, yellow blazing is becoming increasingly accepted by many. I have personally driven at least two dozen "thruhikers" to the bus stop where they are skipping north to "meet up with friends". And, like previous seasons I will see their names on the thruhiker list next year in the AT Journeys magazine.

Mags
09-06-2012, 17:54
Slackpacking is pretty tame stuff compared to yellow blazing. Sadly, yellow blazing is becoming increasingly accepted by many. I have personally driven at least two dozen "thruhikers" to the bus stop where they are skipping north to "meet up with friends". And, like previous seasons I will see their names on the thruhiker list next year in the AT Journeys magazine.

Not going to debate the whole yellowblazing thing...

But why are you reading a magazine to verify their claims? Seems like there could be more productive use of personal time than seeing if someone has lied about their thru-hike.

Them again, I make blog entries about ugly hats (http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-the-boonie-hat)so who am I to judge? :)

10-K
09-06-2012, 18:18
Mags I left a question on your PCT page.

I asked if someone hikes 20 to 25 miles a day on the AT how would that translate to the PCT in terms of daily mileage?

10-K
09-06-2012, 18:22
By the way I can't speak for Jeff but I seriously doubt he reads the magazine specifically looking for thru hikers who yellow blazed.

I scan the list just to see if anybody I know finished. If I were to see the name of someone I shuttled who yellow blazed I couldn't pretend like I didn't see it.....

Supreme Being
09-06-2012, 18:32

You do better than I would. I'd turn them in to the ATC in a minute. And I'm not the type to snitch. But a bus ride skipping hundreds of miles? Wrong on so many levels.

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2012, 19:46
The whole 2,000 miler certificate thing is just stupid. You can turn in all the people you want, but it ain't going to make a difference because tons more will be able to cheat the system. There's no real way to accurately record actual 2,000 milers and it's not worth the effort to attempt such an undertaking.

BTW, what exactly is the ATC going to do with a "report" on someone's alleged cheating; if they spend any amount of time trying to sort that crap out then they got their priorities screwed.:rolleyes:

10-K
09-06-2012, 19:54
I know I walked by every white blaze (that is to say if I didn't I don't know about it) between Springer and Kathadin. Nothing else matters.

But I love my certificate and patch.. :)

Drybones
09-06-2012, 20:00

Why do some hikers look down on slackpacking? Are they just stupid or are they jealous?

I'd say stupid, and that word "purist" I keep seeing is irritating, I dont understand why someone else has to set the rules for us all. Kinda like religion...let them worship thier way and I'll worship mine...it's all about enjoying the hike.

max patch
09-06-2012, 20:04
Barry Bonds was a slackpacker.

Wolf - 23000
09-06-2012, 20:15
This slackpacking thread has been going on long enough. Just carry you own pack and like it. If it feels to heavy sit it down, remove some of the crap and move on. If your like me the different between carrying a full pack and slacking packing should only be a couple of pounds - not worth the time, effort or gas to arrange to be slackpacking from place to place.

Wolf

Darwin13
09-20-2012, 11:50
I have a crazy idea. Ready? Who cares what anyone else does? If some dude calls himself a thru hiker because he flew from Georgia to Maine in a few hours who cares? Slack packing is just part of the GA-ME to some. (pun intended)

Darwin13
09-20-2012, 11:52
Barry Bonds was a slackpacker.

hahaha i heard Benedict Arnold also could be hear shouting the merits of slack packing to his neighbors.

IrishBASTARD
09-20-2012, 18:00
No matter what the other guy thinks. "SLACK PACKING is an official means of completing the Appalachian Trail". Asked a gentleman at the ATC HQ in Harpers. Because had heard from too many people..."slacking isnt hiking go back and start again". I've slacked due to knee and back issues...either way I hiked the trail with less pain.

Uncle Walkie
09-20-2012, 18:06
In my humble opinion if you wear insect repellant while "thru hiking" you have insulated yourself from your environment and therefore weren't really there......in the same vein slackpacking is NOT legit:rolleyes:

coach lou
09-20-2012, 18:12
In my humble opinion if you wear insect repellant while "thru hiking" you have insulated yourself from your environment and therefore weren't really there......in the same vein slackpacking is NOT legit:rolleyes:

I was issued a bottle of Cutters on PI and I could not hide from Sgt. Turnbull:rolleyes:

HikerMom58
09-20-2012, 18:22
I was issued a bottle of Cutters on PI and I could not hide from Sgt. Turnbull:rolleyes:

Funny... :) Annnnddd the big debate rages on.... :banana

Prime Time
09-20-2012, 20:54
What makes carrying a full pack more pure? Next year I am going to hike right past my house in NH and plan on sleeping in my bed with my wife for 6 straight nights with her shuttling me to and from the trail each day. So should I carry my full pack even though I won't need it, or should I just put 40 pounds of rocks in my pack? What is this, a horse race? Also, does someone who carries 18 pounds in their full pack deserve more credit than the person who carries 20 in their slack pack? Strange, if you ask me. HYOH.

4shot
09-20-2012, 21:10
What makes carrying a full pack more pure?

one must suffer. or else. it's obvious.

coach lou
09-20-2012, 22:11
What makes carrying a full pack more pure? Next year I am going to hike right past my house in NH and plan on sleeping in my bed with my wife for 6 straight nights with her shuttling me to and from the trail each day. So should I carry my full pack even though I won't need it, or should I just put 40 pounds of rocks in my pack? What is this, a horse race? Also, does someone who carries 18 pounds in their full pack deserve more credit than the person who carries 20 in their slack pack? Strange, if you ask me. HYOH.

I'm with you here. In my Data book I high-lite and log each walk, Date, with who, where I slept, and which direction. No listing for how much weight or with what pack I was carrying. I always drive TO the trail, then I walk, then I drive away.

T-Rx
09-20-2012, 22:46
I'm with you here. In my Data book I high-lite and log each walk, Date, with who, where I slept, and which direction. No listing for how much weight or with what pack I was carrying. I always drive TO the trail, then I walk, then I drive away.

I'm with you on this Coach Lou. Does it make you any more or less of a hiker if you carry 5, 15 or 25+ pounds? I don't have a place in my hiking journal where I track how much my pack weighed each day. When I attempt my thru hike and I am given the opportunity to lighten my load for a day or two I do believe I will take full advantage of it.

ChinMusic
09-21-2012, 01:05

Who, or what straw man, are you complaining to? I have YET to read one person on WB that states slackpacking is "against the rules".

10-K
09-21-2012, 05:37
Who, or what straw man, are you complaining to? I have YET to read one person on WB that states slackpacking is "against the rules".

"Frowned upon by some" would be a better way to say it probably.

But I agree, what is so noble about carrying a load on your back if you don't have to from time to time?

Train Wreck
09-21-2012, 10:00

But I agree, what is so noble about carrying a load on your back if you don't have to from time to time?

The whole controversy is a plot dreamed up by backpacks who don't want to be left out of all the fun ;)

Darwin13
09-23-2012, 15:39
How is this a debate!? People! You're considering a dumb question! It doesn't deserve this much time!

hikerboy57
09-23-2012, 16:42
we have nothing better to do

hikerboy57
09-23-2012, 16:46

heck, compared to the 50 lbs i was carrying in the 70s, a 25 lb pack would have been considered slackpacking back then.
and if anyone saw coach lous daypack you wouldnt consider him slackpacking, his daypack weighs more than my full pack.

Red Hat
09-23-2012, 16:59
In Myron Avery's journal of his hikes, he mentions carrying only a toothbrush in parts of Maine. He could walk from camp lodge to camp lodge. It was the gentlemanly way...

Wolf - 23000
09-23-2012, 17:03
There is not much different betweek slackpacking vs carrying a full pack. Trying to do shuttle for someone along the trail can be a pain in the neck, between dropping them off at the trail, then driving home, and then going to the pickup site. It is a pain in the neck just to avoid carrying a few pounds. Is it worth it?

Wolf

Del Q
09-23-2012, 17:05
Last time I checked its still the same trail we all hike.

How about a weight limit.........if you are over X pounds "slackpacking is allowed".

Hiker A - 250lbs, out of shape, carrying a 40 lbs pack = 290 lbs total

Hiker B - 230lbs, in shape, 30 lb pack = 260lb total

Hike C - 10k - 180lbs, iron man shape, 22 lb pack = 202 total

My vote would be that 10k should not be allowed to slack pack, all of the Hiker A's & B's, slackpacking is allowed as of now.

Let the voting begin.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2012, 17:08
slackin' is pretty much for weenies and those that really don't wanna be out in the woods

Train Wreck
09-23-2012, 17:26
There is not much different betweek slackpacking vs carrying a full pack. Trying to do shuttle for someone along the trail can be a pain in the neck, between dropping them off at the trail, then driving home, and then going to the pickup site. It is a pain in the neck just to avoid carrying a few pounds. Is it worth it?

Wolf

......Yep!

10-K
09-23-2012, 17:28
slackin' is pretty much for weenies and those that really don't wanna be out in the woods

Ha! I ain't no weenie.

:)

10-K
09-23-2012, 17:30
Slackpacker = Smart

Person carrying a load unnecessarily = Not so smart

... "Honey, I'm walking to the store, where did you put the concrete blocks?"

Train Wreck
09-23-2012, 17:40

slackin and trackin

Wolf - 23000
09-23-2012, 18:36

You tell them Marine!!!

bfayer
09-24-2012, 13:23

Well I guess that makes me a weenie. But I'm just a low life day hiking, section hiker so that's ok :)

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

fredmugs
09-24-2012, 14:20
I'm a weenie too. I slacked GSMNP in 2 days instead of the 7 - 10 days it takes those real hikers to do it. I can't imagine the horror of carrying all that food and sleeping in those shelters.

Old Hiker
09-24-2012, 14:40
I'm a weenie too. I slacked GSMNP in 2 days instead of the 7 - 10 days it takes those real hikers to do it. I can't imagine the horror of carrying all that food and sleeping in those shelters.

And miss that really awesome thunderstorm with the dime sized hail pounding on the shelter tin roof ?!? Not to mention getting to tent outside the shelter because it was full ?!? Slacker. :)

Wish I coulda done it.

Darwin13
09-24-2012, 15:10
we have nothing better to do

haha true.

T-Rx
09-24-2012, 16:36

LW, I'm calling BS on that remark. The next time I'm in Damascus I'll buy you a cold beer and we can laugh about it.

kayak karl
09-24-2012, 17:22
i don't like slacking because i am then not in control of my hike. i can't stop and camp. i can't hike farther and camp there. i MUST hike to a road crossing and wait for shuttle. not for me. i know this may make me stupid or jealous, or perhaps arrogance, condescension, snobbery - with a superiority complex. then so be it, but a least i'm not standing at a road crossing like a weenie :D

ChinMusic
09-24-2012, 17:53
i don't like slacking because i am then not in control of my hike. i can't stop and camp. i can't hike farther and camp there. i MUST hike to a road crossing and wait for shuttle. not for me. i know this may make me stupid or jealous, or perhaps arrogance, condescension, snobbery - with a superiority complex. then so be it, but a least i'm not standing at a road crossing like a weenie :D
I gotta say I agree with this. I couldn't care less if others slack or not. I don't like the idea of the scheduling of some slackpacking either. Maybe slacking BACK to a town where I already have a room at a motel......yeah, I can see that.

Right now I have no plans on slacking for my '13 thru. I reserve the right to change my mind.

10-K
09-24-2012, 18:35
Chin that is exactly what I'm talking about and is the only time I slack pack.

It's a great way to spend two nights in town and still keep mileage up.

ChinMusic
09-24-2012, 18:39
Chin that is exactly what I'm talking about and is the only time I slack pack.

It's a great way to spend two nights in town and still keep mileage up.

I kinda of have this thing in my head that says "only hike north". I just cannot tell how loud that message will be once I start.

T-Rx
09-24-2012, 18:57

KK, your thoughts on this topic don't make you stupid, arrogant or anything else, it's just your thoughts. Each person must hike their own hike. I agree with your idea of being able to camp when and where you want and slacking does take that away. Also, I admit that I am not the most patient person in the world when it comes to waiting. So I'm not sure how well I would like waiting at a road crossing for a long period of time either. ChinMusic has the right idea and slacking back to a town where I already have a hotel room would probably be very acceptable for me. I guess I will make that determination when I attempt my thru in just a couple more years. Until then I am just a section hiker and I never slack pack on those trips.

Wise Old Owl
09-24-2012, 19:36

Ha I aint no weenie either.... love to see you in the altitude.

Yep, we wont tell you how to walk, but we will tell you where to go http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif and then some, schwing on by. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Lone Wolf
09-24-2012, 19:57
Ha I aint no weenie either.... love to see you in the altitude.

if you're doin' a long distance backpackin' trip and you slackpack, you're pretty much a weenie. in the altitude?

HikerMom58
09-24-2012, 20:17
I'm not ashamed:D I'm a double weenie. I like to slackpack others 2. The comment KK made about the control issue is real. I never thought about that B4.... You guys tickle me!! WOO... can you post a picture of a slackpackin weenie? LW... you've got attitude. WOO has altitude.

Biggie Master
09-24-2012, 20:37

I'm with Karl on the control aspect. I don't care how much weight anyone else carries, the equipment they bring or don't bring, what direction they travel, how fast they go... Yellow blaze, blue blaze, white blaze -- that's all their business and their hike. What I care about is MY experience and being in control of my options...

Don H
09-24-2012, 20:43
I kinda of have this thing in my head that says "only hike north". I just cannot tell how loud that message will be once I start.

All the trees, rocks and roots look the same, don't matter if you're going north or south.

T-Rx
09-24-2012, 20:46
if you're doin' a long distance backpackin' trip and you slackpack, you're pretty much a weenie. in the altitude?

Slackpacker = Smart

LW, the above post from 10-k in response to your slack pack = weenie comment says it all in my humble opinion. Because if the situation is right I'll be one smart hot dog!:D And I'll still buy you that beer the next time I'm in Damascus. Even though we may disagree on this point, I have gotten enough good tips from you and other WB members that I at least owe you a cold beer!

ChinMusic
09-24-2012, 20:57
All the trees, rocks and roots look the same, don't matter if you're going north or south.

They look pretty much the same on many trails.............

buff_jeff
09-25-2012, 11:25
I have nothing against people who slackpack, but I personally have no interest in spending money on it. I mean, is carrying a 25-30 lb. pack THAT bad? Not to me. I'd rather just keep walking in one direction and not complicate things with being dropped off, picked up, and dropped off again.

HikerMom58
09-25-2012, 11:34
Slackpacker = Smart

LW, the above post from 10-k in response to your slack pack = weenie comment says it all in my humble opinion. Because if the situation is right I'll be one smart hot dog!:D And I'll still buy you that beer the next time I'm in Damascus. Even though we may disagree on this point, I have gotten enough good tips from you and other WB members that I at least owe you a cold beer!

Funny:D... I wish we could all get along this way!!

Pedaling Fool
09-25-2012, 11:52
Slackpacker = Smart

Depends on how you look at it. Besides the freedom of backpacking there's also the body-strengthening aspect. Carrying a load makes the body stronger, so to say "carrying a load unnecessarily" is just wrong.

Pedaling Fool
09-25-2012, 11:54
I have nothing against people who slackpack, but I personally have no interest in spending money on it. I mean, is carrying a 25-30 lb. pack THAT bad? Not to me. I'd rather just keep walking in one direction and not complicate things with being dropped off, picked up, and dropped off again.I also have no interest in spending money on walking, I can do that for free and strengthen my body at the same time. Luckily for people that do spend money on walking that we're not on this list http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2127644/Worlds-expensive-petrol-hotspots-revealed-Norway-tops-charts--does-Britain-make-ten.html

T-Rx
09-25-2012, 12:39
Depends on how you look at it. Besides the freedom of backpacking there's also the body-strengthening aspect. Carrying a load makes the body stronger, so to say "carrying a load unnecessarily" is just wrong.

John,
you are absolutely correct in your comment. Carrying a pack does afford the individual many things such as freedom and body strengthening. I was just agreeing with the original post by 10-k and saying that given the right circumstances I do not have an issue with slack packing. HYOH.

max patch
09-25-2012, 12:42

If Bob Barker could carry a pack then everybody oughta be able to.

Link goes to short description of Mr Barker for the benefit of the weenie slackers:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=bob+barker+appalachian+trail&source=bl&ots=ggtBdyG631&sig=3ag2aPOGAlqV0neBgUCbOaVMUW4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zd1hUOuRDcWP0QGT74Ew&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=bob%20barker%20appalachian%20trail&f=false

buff_jeff
09-25-2012, 13:27
How much does the average slackpack cost, anyway? I know there are varying circumstances, but what does it usually cost?

I think my threshold would be $1. I'd rather buy a bag of Double-Bubble than pay to walk with 15 lbs. less than usual.

Pedaling Fool
09-25-2012, 13:36
Slackpacker = Smart

John,
... HYOH.
No, you HYOH :D

;)

Lone Wolf
09-25-2012, 13:59
How much does the average slackpack cost, anyway? I know there are varying circumstances, but what does it usually cost?

I think my threshold would be $1. I'd rather buy a bag of Double-Bubble than pay to walk with 15 lbs. less than usual.

i slack folks a lot. usually white top mtn. back to damascus. it's a 21 mile walk. $35 to get them there then $35 the next day.

bfayer
09-25-2012, 14:13
There is another reason to slack pack, and that is if you have a spouse that is not into hiking or sleeping in a tent but likes to see you now and then.

You can spend evenings together, eat at nice restaurants and stay at nice inns and b&bs, and still go hiking!

The great thing about the hiking community is that there is room for everyone and what works for one is not always what works for others.

Slack packing weenie sends :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

juma
09-25-2012, 15:27

well I hate to be so judgmental, but yess, they are a stupid and jealous.

T-Rx
09-25-2012, 15:35
No, you HYOH :D

;)

john,
i assure you I will do just that. Have a great day.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2012, 15:53

jealous of what exactly? :confused:

max patch
09-25-2012, 18:22

I think if you're going to call someone "stupid" you really ought to check your spelling and grammar before posting.

rickb
09-25-2012, 18:38
I think if you're going to call someone "stupid" you really ought to check your spelling and grammar before posting.

Nah, stupid woudl be to make gramatical mistake and mispelling somewhere of consequence. Here on WB its just being lazy-- or conteptuouse of the wider communities intellect.

rickb
09-25-2012, 18:52

Why do some fishermen look down at catching a trout on a worm?

Why do some chefs look down at frosting from a can?

coach lou
09-25-2012, 18:56
I never new hiking had so many rules until I found Whiteblaze. Is there a rule book, or do I just wade thru ALL the forums. I have 3 rule books in Ice Hockey....but, I get paid to know them, but most times I just make it up as I skate along:rolleyes:

HikerMom58
09-25-2012, 19:21
I never new hiking had so many rules until I found Whiteblaze. Is there a rule book, or do I just wade thru ALL the forums. I have 3 rule books in Ice Hockey....but, I get paid to know them, but most times I just make it up as I skate along:rolleyes:

HA!! You must know the rules on WB. Everyone must think alike. If you don't know/ follow the rules you are skating on thin ice. :) Ice Hockey rocks!! :)

Sman
09-25-2012, 19:34
wow Interesting

HikerMom58
09-25-2012, 19:53
Is that "wow interesting" a good thing or a bad thing or are you still in shock?:eek:

T-Rx
09-25-2012, 21:21

Coach,
I'm with you on this one. Too many rules and different interpretations of them. So, I'm going to do like my boys did when they were very young and we would play games together. I'm just gonna make up the rules as I go along. :D

T-Rx
09-25-2012, 21:27
HA!! You must know the rules on WB. Everyone must think alike. If you don't know/ follow the rules you are skating on thin ice.

Very funny HikerMomKD, and like with many great jokes their is a hint of truth in what you say!

wnderer
09-25-2012, 22:06
It's like when you hike up to the top of the mountain and look out over the magnificent view. Then the bus pulls up and lets out a bunch of tourists. They all gush about the magnificent view and how big the mountain is. You can't help but feel a little superior; that they don't really understand how big that mountain is or really appreciate the view. Maybe it is just sour grapes. That what you worked so hard for, could be had so easily. You need to feel that all that effort was worth something. But for those of us that put in that effort, it is. And we will never really respect those who, impressed with their own cleverness, avoid the work that we put in.

atmilkman
09-25-2012, 22:16
It's like when you hike up to the top of the mountain and look out over the magnificent view. Then the bus pulls up and lets out a bunch of tourists. They all gush about the magnificent view and how big the mountain is. You can't help but feel a little superior; that they don't really understand how big that mountain is or really appreciate the view. Maybe it is just sour grapes. That what you worked so hard for, could be had so easily. You need to feel that all that effort was worth something. But for those of us that put in that effort, it is. And we will never really respect those who, impressed with their own cleverness, avoid the work that we put in.
This is very good. Really true to heart. But, just think about all those views that you have seen that a bus cannot pull up to. That 99% or more of the population will never see. Now, how's that feel for all your hard work.

Sman
09-25-2012, 22:31
Is that "wow interesting" a good thing or a bad thing or are you still in shock?:eek:

Just WOW, planning on hiking the AT in March of 2013 andthought this site would be a good way to get informed before the hike. Well, I fill very informed…….. didn’t realize how many different ways thereis to hike or that it could be done “wrong”. That being said I love reading this stuff.

rickb
09-25-2012, 22:33
What about the lift up Wildcat? I am thinking you could shuffle around the gondola on the way up-- thereby holding on to your claim of walking up the mountain.

jesse
09-26-2012, 02:25
Slack packing is lame.

10-K
09-26-2012, 06:15
Just WOW, planning on hiking the AT in March of 2013 andthought this site would be a good way to get informed before the hike. Well, I fill very informed…….. didn’t realize how many different ways thereis to hike or that it could be done “wrong”. That being said I love reading this stuff.

You can't do it wrong in real life. But you have to pick a peanut gallery to belong to here on WB...

So far I have identified the following galleries:

1. Self-righteous gallery
2. High and mighty gallery (members of the self-righteous gallery and this gallery are interchangeable)

3. Funny gallery
4. Purist gallery
5. Hike your own hike gallery
6. Hike the way I do or you're doing it wrong gallery
7. I've seen it all because I'm a wizened hiker God gallery
8. I know enough to be dangerous galllery
9. I have a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) and I know how to use it gallery.

Pick one and join the fun!

OzJacko
09-26-2012, 06:34
You can't do it wrong in real life. But you have to pick a peanut gallery to belong to here on WB...

2. High and mighty gallery (members of the self-righteous gallery and this gallery are interchangeable)

3. Funny gallery
4. Purist gallery
9. I have a Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) and I know how to use it gallery.

Working on number 9....
Think I'll have to get one in Atlanta in March.:D

Old Hiker
09-26-2012, 06:52
This is very good. Really true to heart. But, just think about all those views that you have seen that a bus cannot pull up to. That 99% or more of the population will never see. Now, how's that feel for all your hard work.

Sort of like 500 yards north of Newfound Gap. Not a tourist in sight. It was great !

bfayer
09-26-2012, 07:57

3. Funny gallery
4. Purist gallery

Well I guess I am left out again. I try to be funny, but I know I'm not. I agree with HYOH, as long as your hike does not annoy me, and everyone tells me I use my Sawyer wrong. And now I find out that although I am a weenie, I am a smart weenie :-)

Here is my take on the whole thing: I am 50 years old and have spent my share of time hauling a heavy pack further than common sense allows, so if I want to slackpack so I can enjoy my walk, then I'll slackpack.

I was sitting on top of Old Rag (SNP) this weekend thinking "I'm getting to old for this" and as I sat there and enjoyed the view with my son, I thought "I'll never be to old for this". If packing light or slacking keeps me out there then going light and slacking is for me.

coach lou
09-26-2012, 08:03
Well I guess I am left out again. I try to be funny, but I know I'm not. I agree with HYOH, as long as your hike does not annoy me, and everyone tells me I use my Sawyer wrong. And now I find out that although I am a weenie, I am a smart weenie :-)

Here is my take on the whole thing: I am 50 years old and have spent my share of time hauling a heavy pack further than common sense allows, so if I want to slackpack so I can enjoy my walk, then I'll slackpack.

I was sitting on top of Old Rag (SNP) this weekend thinking "I'm getting to old for this" and as I sat there and enjoyed the view with my son, I thought "I'll never be to old for this". If packing light or slacking keeps me out there then going light and slacking is for me.

Hey, when I came up on 55, I hit the reset button.............HYOH.........................it 's all good!

OzJacko
09-26-2012, 08:12

Hey I only really got into hiking this side of 50!
Don't think OLD!!
Think mature enough to appreciate the joy of "less".
Less stress, less noise, less hassle and less weight.

kayak karl
09-26-2012, 08:22
i think somebody is a purist at heart and is trying to justify their inadequate hike :D

Seatbelt
09-26-2012, 08:58

3. Funny gallery
4. Purist gallery

How about another one:

10. Enjoying the amusing/entertaining reading from the cheap seats.

Seatbelt

HikerMom58
09-26-2012, 09:10
How about another one:

10. Enjoying the amusing/entertaining reading from the cheap seats.

Seatbelt

I try to be funny, sometimes, but I don't think I am. (thanks T-Rx) Speaking of funny tho, there are some really funny ones on here!!
I think I'm #8. I don't know that much but I've learned a lot on here, so now I'm just dangerous. You don't have a gallery for "overprotective mom" or BE NICE or else gallery:eek: on WB. That would be me, as well.
I like your gallery's. I think you have most of them covered. The most difficult ones to deal with are the "God-like" ones. #1,2,6 & 7...everyone is welcome, tho.

#10 Should be added- I've seen a lot of posts of members claiming that one. :)

dzierzak
09-26-2012, 09:21

3. Funny gallery
4. Purist gallery
6. Hike the way I do or you're doing it wrong gallery======= Mags HMHDI!! http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

message is too short

WingedMonkey
09-26-2012, 09:29
Another thread denigrates to the level of the cyber cafe. Did it close or something?

hikerboy57
09-26-2012, 09:37
Another thread denigrates to the level of the cyber cafe. Did it close or something?

does anyone remember laughter?

coach lou
09-26-2012, 09:49
Being that we are still in the United States anyone in Gallery #2 is free add something to the discussion. With that said, you are also free to continue to thrash those of us that don't take walking in the woods too seriously

HikerMom58
09-26-2012, 09:49

Hummm....I think you are a very interesting, intelligent person. The cafe didn't close & this thread is fun. I don't know why but I'm wondering if you closed your heart and mind to most everyone, a long time ago. You have a lot to give but you pick and choose to whom, where and when.

WingedMonkey
09-26-2012, 10:15
Hummm....I think you are a very interesting, intelligent person. The cafe didn't close & this thread is fun. I don't know why but I'm wondering if you closed your heart and mind to most everyone, a long time ago. You have a lot to give but you pick and choose to whom, where and when.

And I think that you are a permanent victim. :eek: And when you can't find something to be a victim about you make someone else a victim :mad:so you can defend them. But that is only what a very interesting, :rolleyes: intelligent person has for an opinion.

:sun

:banana:banana:banana:banana

HikerMom58
09-26-2012, 10:33
Okay... you can express you opinion about me... that's cool. I don't know why you put a:rolleyes: after interesting. The interesting part of who you are is a positive. I think you've lived an interesting life. btw... the dancing bananna's are an overkill.... that's just my opinion.

Sman
09-26-2012, 17:50

3. Funny gallery
4. Purist gallery

Good deal --- I like #5 ------- SO, that makes it all good ------ GO SLACKPACKER!!!!!

HikerMom58
09-26-2012, 19:26
Go Sman, that's the spirit! :)
Today, I met SOBO couple while i was having lunch in Daleville. They are 2/3 of the way done. I tried my best to talk them into slackpacking. LB (the girl) would have gone for it but the guy (can't remember his name) would not have any part of it.... LOL. Sweet couple and I loved chatting it up with them. They are gettin er done!! They said that the water situation in Central VA is not good. They said that other sections are putting up signs urging hikers to camel up when they do find water. VA doesn't have signs up. :( This isn't the place to share this prob. ... I'll try to find the water thread.....

fredmugs
09-26-2012, 19:36
The problem is Group 6 can't shut up about claiming to be Group 5.