PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Question

o hiker guy
07-20-2012, 19:37
I have a new backpack that I can't send back that don't fit me right. The straps are to long and there no adjustments. Is it possible to cut them off from the pack, make them shorter and have them sewed back on. Would they be strong enough? Thanks

WingedMonkey
07-20-2012, 19:40
Brand? model?

o hiker guy
07-20-2012, 20:07
Brand? model?
This pack is Gossamer Gear, Mariposa , med. I got it back in Jan of this year and then things came up and I never got to use it so now I'm planning a week long section hike in Oct and I know this pack will not work for me with the straps as long as they are

MuddyWaters
07-20-2012, 20:18
What makes the straps too long? Is the torso too long? Have you worn it fully packed? A pack may fill out and make the straps and belt effectively shorter when loaded.

If the straps are too long, you may need a smaller pack? With the Mariposa you can replace the foam in the straps with pipe insulation foam from a home improvement store, this will make the straps thicker and narrower, possibly a bit shorter too.

o hiker guy
07-20-2012, 20:30
What makes the straps too long? Is the torso too long? Have you worn it fully packed? A pack may fill out and make the straps and belt effectively shorter when loaded.

If the straps are too long, you may need a smaller pack? With the Mariposa you can replace the foam in the straps with pipe insulation foam from a home improvement store, this will make the straps thicker and narrower, possibly a bit shorter too.
I think my problem is I'm to short making my torso to short also. The belt is fine around my waste but when I pull the straps down tight they do not come close to my shoulders

MuddyWaters
07-20-2012, 20:40
Just my opinion, but if you have a new pack, you might be best off by selling it, and buying a different one that fits better. You should be able to get almost what you paid, the new 2012 Mariposas are a bit more expensive , and a few people report straps slipping in the buckles somewhat.

MuddyWaters
07-20-2012, 20:44
Your hip belt should have the top of your hip bones in about the middle of it.