PDA

View Full Version : Give me some advice on my gear list?

safariman
07-20-2012, 22:02
-65l pack golite quest
-golite shangra-la 1 person tent
-sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow
-tarp
-stove/extra fuel
-cook set
-500ml bear canister
-food/spice kit
-water purifier
-2x1L water bottles
-longjohns
-rain jacket
-frogtoggs rain pants
-swimming shorts/conv. pants
-2 pairs nylon socks/1 pair thick high socks
-light weather gloves
-repair/first aid/hygiene lit
-mulitool
-folding handsaw
-extra phone battery/batteries
-hiking poles
-matches/light
-dry box
-map/compass
-headlamp
-beanie/sun hat
-sunglasses
-sunscreen/bug spray
-binoculars
-rope
-pack cover

going from damascus to springer mtn during late winter/early spring of next year or this fall depends on if i reach my vacation time at this job or get laid of this winter..i kinda hope to get laid off haha happy trails!

Bucho
07-21-2012, 00:57
sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow

What are you considering for these?

-500ml bear canister

I haven't seen a 500ml bear canister before, I'd love to see a link for what you're talking about.

swimming shorts/conv. pants

You didn't list a shirt or shoes so I'm assuming this is a backup pair of convertable pants? In which case I'd leave them home and use the driducks as your backup.

-mulitool
-folding handsaw

You don't need either of these.

-dry box

I'm assuming this is something really light and small, maybe just for your cell phone. You may want to add a dry bag, pack liner or trash bag because pack covers generally don't work well enough to keep your sleeping bag dry.

-map/compass

You don't need either of these but you especially don't need the compass.

-binoculars

Don't need them.

-rope

I'm assuming this is thin cord for a bear line?

I started March 10th and was lightly snowed on several times, with that in mind I don't see anything to keep your ears warm.

safariman
07-21-2012, 09:58
i meant the BV500, shirt ill just bring a t-shirt and a longsleeve button up. and for shoes just gortex hiking boots. drybox is just one of the small ones from walmart for batteries/phone and other things that cant get wet. and theres a beanie listed at the bottom

Rasty
07-21-2012, 10:38
-65l pack golite quest
-sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow
-tarp
-stove/extra fuel
-cook set
-500ml bear canister
-food/spice kit
-water purifier
-2x1L water bottles
-longjohns
-rain jacket
-frogtoggs rain pants
-swimming shorts/conv. pants
-light weather gloves
-mulitool
-folding handsaw
-hiking poles
-matches/light
-dry box
-map/compass
-headlamp
-beanie/sun hat
-sunglasses
-sunscreen/bug spray
-binoculars
-rope
-pack cover

going from damascus to springer mtn during late winter/early spring of next year or this fall depends on if i reach my vacation time at this job or get laid of this winter..i kinda hope to get laid off haha happy trails!

I'm not a real hiker yet! Just do 6 to 7 day stretches.

Things I would leave home
Bear Vault
Saw
Binoculars
Water Purifier
Sunglasses

10-K
07-21-2012, 10:46
That there is a mighty big pack sir.

Bear vault, binoculars, tarp, and bug spray are certainly not needed. Lots of other stuff is really not necessary but if you need it to feel safe take it.

Don't forget your toothbrush and floss.

RED-DOG
07-21-2012, 11:23
The Pack is way to big a (Medum Size) will Do. that Big a$$ Bear Canister is not Needed,Things to Ditch. Binoculars, Sunscreen/ Bugspray since you are going in late winter early spring shouldn't have a problem with bugs.Camp pillow just don't need it, Folding hand Saw what's that for, Swimming Shorts wrong time of year for those, Tarp you got a tent so what is it for don't need it,How much extra fuel you going to be carrying if a cannister stove two 4oz cannister's should be plenty if only boiling water. Bro you can go with half that weight but its your hike so go Have lots of fun and Enjoy. RED-DOG:dance

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 11:47
-65l pack golite quest
-sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow??? light fleese jacket instead?
-tarp Tent and Tarp? one or the other not both
-stove/extra fuel <<< what kind?
-cook set??? just boiling water right?
-500ml bear canister < I wouldn't unless you have too.
-food/spice kit<Leave at home
-water purifier
-2x1L water bottles
-longjohns
-rain jacket
-frogtoggs rain pants<Leave at Home
-conv. pants 1shirt
-light weather gloves
-mulitool<Leave at Home
-folding handsaw<Leave at Home
-hiking poles
-micro bic
-dry box <Leave at Home What is this for?
-compass only
-headlamp
-beanie/sun hat
-sunglasses
-sunscreen/bug spray (does it work with ticks?)
-binoculars<Leave at Home
-rope
-pack cover<Leave at Home

That's a start... some of it is a little convoluted.

MuddyWaters
07-21-2012, 13:03
"-500ml bear canister"

Thats the smallest bear cannister Ive ever heard of, what you gonna put in that? Cant be too heavy though, might as well bring it.

Rasty
07-21-2012, 13:06
"-500ml bear canister"

Thats the smallest bear cannister Ive ever heard of, what you gonna put in that? Cant be too heavy though, might as well bring it.

It's a BV500 which is 11-1/2 liters. A 500ml Bear Vault would be a choking hazard for bears!:)

Spokes
07-21-2012, 13:34
Hmmmm, I agree with the others- that's a big pack. Check out the Mountain Crossings Method. It yields a tried and true cold weather pack at 16-18 lbs. base weight. Add a trash compactor bag for a liner. Fleece beanie and gloves are givens. Tweak for summer and go even lighter. It's really all you need.....

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Ignore the popup.

Oh, and when planning your gear list start thinking in terms of ounces. You'll know what I mean a couple days into the trail. :)
Cheers!

safariman
07-21-2012, 22:17
whats up with people not carrying maps? i can see not carry binoculars if you dont like to check out the birds, but a map? i like to see where im at and not just really on trail markings. i dont understand how my list is considered big. whats a light pack?

hikerboy57
07-21-2012, 22:41
there are as many opinions here as hikers. if you don't hi I like you don't like right is just 1 of them. but you can lighten your load a bit

RodentWhisperer
07-21-2012, 23:34
whats up with people not carrying maps? i can see not carry binoculars if you dont like to check out the birds, but a map? i like to see where im at and not just really on trail markings. i dont understand how my list is considered big. whats a light pack?

No offense, but you call yourself "ultralight," and in the current vernacular that means a base weight (everything except your water, food and fuel) of less than 10 lbs. There are no weights given in you gear list, but from what I see, your base weight exceeds that. So, I suspect people are harping on you because they're slightly confused as to what kind of hiker you are, and what kind of hike you're looking for.

Most of the people who read these forums are thru-hikers. They hike for a number of different reasons, but all of them love being on the trail. The more mileage, the better. Going ultralight lets you cover more miles on a daily basis, go longer before exhaustion kicks in, and thus, to see more of the trail in the time you have available. Thru-hikers are very attuned to ultralight, and when invited to scrutinize someone's gear list, they look over everything and try to think of what is really needed in order to, successfully, complete the planned hike.

That is a thru-hiker's primary goal: completing the planned hike. All the gear taken needs to assist you in reaching that goal-- or it's a waste of space/weight. But everyone has their own plans, and their own goals-- hike your own hike, as the say. If one of your goals for this hike is to "check out the birds," then by all means, take the binoculars. If you want to swim, then take the shorts. Just think very carefully about where you are hiking, when you are hiking, what your essentials are, and what you can really hope to accomplish.

cabbagehead
07-21-2012, 23:43
Keep the water purifier or whatever it is, and the pack cover.
Replace the hygene kit with a little liquid soap and hand sanitizer.
Replace the binoculars with a monocular.
Replace the boxes and bottles with bags and sacks.
Eliminate the saw and multitool.
Nobody knows what a cook set is.
Add a pot and spoon.
Eliminate the tarp. You don't have the bug net for it.
Add a head net.
ground cloth under pad
hat

et_afig
07-22-2012, 05:23
I think we're all forgetting the ever so impressionable: HYOH. For instance, I was raised in Ohio and I live in Florida, both of which are drenched in those ****ing bugs. I ****ing hate mosquitos, it ruins everything for me. Therefor, I will be willing to carry that extra 6 oz of DEET even if I never use it, I'd rather always have it there. Its all in how much you're willing to carry and for how long. To some people, going without their cell phone is impossible, to me thats silly.

hyoh

poloaa009
07-22-2012, 06:07
That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!
http://www.free-coupon-codes.info/lol/ap.jpg
http://www.free-coupon-codes.info/non/or.jpg

cabbagehead
07-22-2012, 08:26
deet......................

SunnyWalker
07-22-2012, 09:14
My first reaction: Why do you need both tarp AND tent? Also, I'd leave the multi tool and saw at home. What does "cook kit" mean? For lightweight backpacking all you need is a pot and a cup, spoon/fork/spork. Leave the plates, teapot, bowls, etc., at home.

Matt65
07-22-2012, 09:20
I would recommend a lightweight first aid kit. A few pain killers, and vaseline/ ultra glide for blisters. Maybe athletic tape and gauze. These are all things I have needed on the trail.

If your 1L bottles are Nalgenes, I would suggest a lighter / cheaper repurposed bottle like a Smart water bottle or similar.

Also, as an example: if you LIKE having binoculars or other gear. Take them, it's your hike! :beer: For me: I would never use them, never miss them, and convince myself they are 10lbs of useless weight!:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Connie
07-22-2012, 10:04
I take maps, but only what I need: the trail with water supply and any other useful information like resupply points.

I also take a printout of the larger view for alternate routes out, if weather is hammering me.

Otherwise, I hunker down with the emergency (extra) food I always take with me no matter what. That's just me!

I always have a compass, maybe only a Suunto Clipper B mini compass on my pack strap.

I like the Suunto M9 wrist compass for serious map and compass work, not really needed, if hiking a marked trail.

That is the most compass I carry, because it has a sighting slot for serious navigation.

I print maps, using the state series TOPO! maps to know the terrain for alternate routes.

However, the maps made and sold for the trail have important information about water supply and resupply. These maps and guides are well worth the cost. I wouldn't carry an entire book. I would carry the pages I will use.

pyroman53
07-22-2012, 11:34
I think your list was a great start. Just consider the comments above for things to consider leaving home. Do you have a jacket? You're going to need one for late fall, early spring...maybe no bugs so no deet. Leaves still on in the fall...maybe no sunglasses. I always take small compass and as much map as is reasonable to ensure some knowledge of the surrounding area, both for bailout options and just to know something about the area Im hiking through. Little weight and it's what I do.

House of Payne
07-22-2012, 12:38
-65l pack golite quest I'd consider something around 50L for a thru-hike, then again you do have alot of items below to put in that bag. :)

-sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow Your not very specific on sleeping bag type/style, same with pad. I would not bring a pillow, stuff sack and clothes.
-tarp Leave at home
-stove/extra fuel which stove and fuel type are you using? As I go through your list I'm thinking weights at the same time
-cook set Not sure I'd bring an entire set. I would consider something titanium and just big enough to boil some water for a meal.
-500ml bear canister Leave at home, there are other weight saving options available to remove this from your list.
-food/spice kit Food yes, spice kit ahhhh. I might consider some salt and pepper packets but not an entire kit.
-water purifier be specific, think weight. Is it a chemical purifier? pump style ?? My thoughts are to go chemical, iodine or chlorine. Low weight and high results despite taste.
-2x1L water bottles Personal preference. I will use my 2l bladder as a multifunction water source along with a 1l bottle
-longjohns leave at home
-rain jacket something very dependable here, this will be a huge item for many uses.
-frogtoggs rain pants leave at home
-swimming shorts/conv. pants Convertible pants, will handle mutiple uses.
-2 pairs nylon socks/1 pair thick high socks Are you hiking with boots, hiking shoes or trail runners?
-light weather gloves and hat for the early months of spring down south
-repair/first aid/hygiene lit Duct tape, individual FAK and hand sanitizer. also some biodeg TP
-mulitool leave at home. A small lightweight knife would do.
-folding handsaw Leave at home
-extra phone battery/batteries what else do you need batteries for? The phone should get limited use and can be charged when u get into town. Maybe an extra headlight battery?
-hiking poles
-matches/light
-dry box dry sack for clothes if the pack is not waterproof or a smaller bag type container for electronics
-map/compass If you do brings maps, I would only bring sections with you at a time. No need for many weighted unused items
-headlamp
-beanie/sun hat
-sunglasses I think the cap may be enough, a majority of the trail is under the canopy
-sunscreen/bug spray same thing here, being under the canopy would be my sunscreen. Definitely bug repellent,a deet product.
-binoculars leave at home
-rope leave at home. Bring something like nylon cord. Think weight and space
-pack cover Yes if the pack is not a roll top waterproof bag, like a CF bag would be.

As mentioned above, I did not see anything on footwear. Also, nothing on shirts and underwear. Is your phone also going to be your camera? Camp shoes? a midweight layer for early spring? (down sweater or fleece top?) A consideration, I'm using scree gaiters with my trail shoes and they do a world of good for keeping the small items out of my shoes while walking.

Bucho
07-22-2012, 17:42
It's a BV500 which is 11-1/2 liters. A 500ml Bear Vault would be a choking hazard for bears!:)

I know huh, but it's also just the sort of crazy thing some thru hiker would think up.

Bucho
07-22-2012, 17:48
whats up with people not carrying maps? i can see not carry binoculars if you dont like to check out the birds, but a map? i like to see where im at and not just really on trail markings.

We're not telling you don't bring it, just that it's extra weight you don't need.

Bucho
07-22-2012, 18:30
i meant the BV500

I was wondering if that was the case. Don't carry that for any longer than you have to. It weighs more than your tent and is miserable to pack around. On the plus side it does make a convenient stool.

I know there's a section you need it to camp in for now, but if you could find a way not to camp there....that would be the best. Failing that mail drop it to one side of that section and ship it home on the other.

shirt ill just bring a t-shirt and a longsleeve button up.

At the right time of year you could go with just a quick drying synthetic shirt and your long underwear top knowing that you could throw your rain jacket on for some extra warmth in a pinch. However keep in mind that the time of year you're talking about there's a decent chance you'll be getting snowed on at least a little. I'd suggest bringing a down jacket or vest or a fleece.

theres a beanie listed at the bottom
My bad, the /sunhat threw me off.

safariman
07-22-2012, 19:11
ok so since theres some confusion in my terms ill make a new list, plus i want to change things and im not a paying member yet so no edit button :banana
if forgot to mention i want to start out hiking some 3-4 day trails then i want to do damascus to springer.

-addidas terrex gortex hiking shoes
-golite 50l quest pack
-lafuma 30* sleeping bag
-therma-rest sleeping pad ( not sure what type yet still looking for one )
-rei passage 1 tent
-pocket rocket w/small windscreen of somekind
-small cooking pot from walmart and spoon
-dried camp meals/cliff bars/granola bars/gatorade mix/some kind of fruit
-phone charger/extra phone battery/extra headlamp battery
-ziplock bag for electronics
-was going to try the coleman water filter/purifier that has its own bottle
-bladder from my coleman daypack and a water bottle for mixing gatorade
-go-lite trinity 3 layer rain shell
-convertible pants something light and drys well,maybe the golite pants if i cant find some cheaper ones locally
-thin long sleeve shirt
-t shirt ( i have some golf shirts that breath well )
-handsoap,toothpaste &tooth brush,duct tape,knife
-matches in water proof cylinder from walmart
-extra pair of socks
-beanie
-hat/shades
-bug spray
-walmart headlamp
-pack cover
-phone will be my camera takes pretty good pictures
-hiking poles
-thin pair of gloves
-small 55 peice first aid kit from walmart camping section

Bucho
07-22-2012, 19:24
i dont understand how my list is considered big. whats a light pack?

If you already own that pack it's not the end of the world, but if you haven't bought it yet I'd recommend holding off. Ideally the pack is the last thing you should get after you've gotten all your gear together and seen exactly how much pack you need. You could go all the way up to a 75L pack (ULA Catalyst) for 48oz so that golight is pretty heavy at 58oz.

This is a common pack on the AT and the one I used it's 39oz http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp
Here's a light pack at 24.5oz http://www.ula-equipment.com/ohm.asp
Here's ultralight at 13.5oz http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml
or you could get down to 8.4oz http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/blast.shtml

Firefighter503
07-23-2012, 01:52
Bucho,

I think safariman was asking what a light pack in the sense of how much stuff people carry, versus the actual pack. he has the GoLite Quest listed, which is probably about right based on the rest of his gear list.

Spokes
07-23-2012, 07:47
Okay, so here's another little tidbit for you- a 10 page article on hiking the AT. It has a great summary of what to expect in all the major sections, plus trail etiquette and all sorts of other information for a successful thru hike.

Again, ignore the popup.
http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530?page=3

Cheers!

Connie
07-23-2012, 09:00
I consider a backpack heavy, if I start out on the trail with 18 lbs.

This is because I am a lightweight-to-ultralightweight backpacker.

There is LW-lightweight (up to 18 lbs.), UL-ultralightweight (5 lb base weight - without food or water), and SUL-superultralightweight (under 5 lbs. base weight). There are XSUL enthusiasts, however they are usually section hikers.

It is my experience, most backpackers do not want to have to carry a pack over 20 lbs, if they want to hike and camp - not hike to camp.

Having to carry a heavy backpack, if you are hiking and camping - not hiking to camp, gets really old fast.

Deacon
07-23-2012, 09:10
-small 55 peice first aid kit from walmart camping section

55 pieces? What's in this kit? I've never seen a pre-packaged kit that didn't have too much, useless stuff in it. All you need are topical ointments and appropriate medication which need to be personalized to you. Your kit should be no more than a couple oz. if your creative. Better to assemble your own kit from your medicine cabinet at home.

If you have a more serious injury, you'll need to get off the trail anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retro
07-23-2012, 09:25
When making up a gear list, a little clarity goes a long way. I'd recommend using a spreadsheet. Get a scale. Weigh everything. Include a brief description alongside each item.

I doubt you'd get the same response had you listed your "tarp" as a "tyvek groundsheet, 32x80, 72 grams". Also keep in mind that there's a lot of personal preference in gear choices. For example, I always carry sunscreen-- others don't. I've learned from experience that some items are worth the weight. Hike your own hike.

Bucho
07-23-2012, 10:21
55 pieces? What's in this kit? I've never seen a pre-packaged kit that didn't have too much, useless stuff in it. All you need are topical ointments and appropriate medication which need to be personalized to you. Your kit should be no more than a couple oz.

I didn't see the 55pc this 57pc one was the closest I could find. http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Aid-Kit-57pc/20450229#Specifications

First Aid Kit, 57pc:

Items for burns, sunscreen, insect sting relief and repellent
Includes:

9 antiseptic towelettes
2 antibiotic ointment packets
2 burn cream packets
2 insect repellent packets
2 sunscreen lotion packets
3 sting relief pads
5 waterproof bandages: 1" x 3" (2.54cm x 7.62cm)
2 moleskins: 2" x 2" (5.08cm x 5.08cm)
10 adhesive bandages: 3/4" x 3" (1.91cm x 7.62cm)
15 adhesive bandages: 3/8" x 1-1/2" (0.95cm x 3.81cm)
5 butterfly closures

Duct tape, antibiotic ointment and Ibuprofen is about all that plenty of people take. I'm a fan of adding at least one thing to that.

Doxycycline, it's an antiboitic used to treat lyme disease. I had more friends catch lyme disease than have issues from not filtering their water. It's so common at this point that you should just assume that deer ticks are carrying it. When you find an engorged tick taking a single dose of doxycycline can stop lyme disease from even getting started.

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/1209Lyme.pdf
"Whether early antibiotic prophylaxis is indicated after a tick bite is controversial; the strongest indication is in a highly endemic area when an engorged tick is attached for 48 hours or more. In one study of 482 patients who had removed an attached I. scapularis tick, a single 200-mg dose of doxycycline (Vibramycin, and others) within 72 hours of tick removal was 87% effective in preventing development of erythema migrans at the site of the bite."

Also keep in mind that you'll be too sweaty for band aids to stick and my girlfriend didn't have any better luck with the mole skin. some people use duct tape for both, but this is the only thing that would work for her (she's allergic to duct tape).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Skin-Liquid-Bandage-First-Aid-Liquid-Antiseptic-1-oz/10316533?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10316533&sourceid=1500000000000003260370&veh=dat

Bucho
07-23-2012, 13:54
-therma-rest sleeping pad ( not sure what type yet still looking for one )

Here are some common choices from last year:
http://www.rei.com/product/829826/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-sleeping-pad
http://www.rei.com/product/829820/therm-a-rest-prolite-sleeping-pad
http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-NEOAIRMATTRESS-Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir-Mattress/dp/B001QWFDD0
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/ClearviewAirPad

-rei passage 1 tent

I'm not familiar with how nice that golight tent is to use but from a weight perspective I would be looking to go lighter not heavier. That rei tent is heavier than the 2 person tent my girlfriend picked out. A tent which I complained bitterly about the weight of for most of the AT.

-pocket rocket w/small windscreen of somekind

It doesn't come with a wind screen because there's some concern about heating the pressurized canister and causing an explosion. There are some scheme's to avoid that issue: http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/album/c7bf4cz1.php

However, hikers generally just stand upwind and kind of spread their jacket in windy conditions.

-ziplock bag for electronics

That's what plenty of us do but do remember that pack covers aren't a product that actually works. You'll want at least line your pack with a trash bag.

-was going to try the coleman water filter/purifier that has its own bottle

I'm not familiar with that filter so I can't comment on it. But if you're looking for alternatives to compare it to the popular option is to bring aquamira and then not use it. Works fine for some people, three of my friends got giardia that way. If you want a bottle filter here's one at 5oz with a 1 million gallon guarantee: http://www.rei.com/product/822013/sawyer-water-treatment-filter-bottle

My personal preference would be to cut the hose of your water bladder in half and install a 2oz filter directly onto the hose: http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

Spokes
07-23-2012, 14:29
I consider a backpack heavy, if I start out on the trail with 18 lbs.

This is because I am a lightweight-to-ultralightweight backpacker.

There is LW-lightweight (up to 18 lbs.), UL-ultralightweight (5 lb base weight - without food or water), and SUL-superultralightweight (under 5 lbs. base weight). There are XSUL enthusiasts, however they are usually section hikers.

It is my experience, most backpackers do not want to have to carry a pack over 20 lbs, if they want to hike and camp - not hike to camp.

Having to carry a heavy backpack, if you are hiking and camping - not hiking to camp, gets really old fast.

Good for you. I like what Andrew Skurka says (http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/seven-steps-to-lighten-up/):

"don’t go “stupid light” by sacrificing too much functionality, durability, comfort etc."

Can't argue with that.

WhiteTornado
07-23-2012, 14:57
take out the folding saw and replase the dry box with a dry bag(if you need somthing water proof

Tom Murphy
07-23-2012, 16:04
55 pieces? What's in this kit? I've never seen a pre-packaged kit that didn't have too much, useless stuff in it. All you need are topical ointments and appropriate medication which need to be personalized to you. Your kit should be no more than a couple oz. if your creative. Better to assemble your own kit from your medicine cabinet at home. If you have a more serious injury, you'll need to get off the trail anyway. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
Advil
duct tape
a gaze pad
alcohols wipe
antibiotic cream
tick key
maybe some immodium
and strongest pain killer you can get your hands on

Bucho
07-23-2012, 23:22
Good for you. I like what Andrew Skurka says (http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/seven-steps-to-lighten-up/):

"don’t go “stupid light” by sacrificing too much functionality, durability, comfort etc."

Can't argue with that.

So one morning as Brown Chicken and I were breaking the ice off our tent this guy (Whitney Houston) comes running by in those 70's running shorts and super tiny tank top. As we look at him in bafflement he yells to us "I wish I'd brought more clothing".

Connie
07-24-2012, 03:32
I have Pearl Izumi Toyko tights (comfortable warm or cold, or wet), stretch-mesh shorty gaiters (for black flys), U.S. military silkweight underwear (usually, only for sleepwear), tank top for modesty (no bra), half-zip Icebreaker merino 200, Puff vest, lightweight windshirt rain jacket, lightweight rain chaps, hat with LED lights in the hat brim, three pair shorty socks, two pair easy-wash fast-dry underwear, lightweight trail hikers, gloves, no-see-um bug net for over the hat, beanie hat for sleeping.

I have my Ti-Goat Bug Bivy and Oware AsymTarp1 and Brooks-Range 20 F 900-fill half bag and 900-fill down home-made 3/4 TQ and NeoAir XS or Exped DownMat 7 XS sleep system for hunkering down in really difficult weather to read from or journal with my iPod Touch.

For hot meals, I have the Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra and choice of zelph alcohol stove and his custom-made cone windscreen for my choice of cookware and stove. If I am in a National Park, I have my JetBoil Zip Stove.

I also carry my PolarWrap half-mask for really cold shoulder season weather: in Montana, that can happen at any time.

Did I forget something?

I try to manage lightweight-to-ultralightweight in style and comfort.

pyroman53
07-24-2012, 10:46
I have no expereince with Lafuma bags but I would be concerned using that in Fall and early spring in the SE. Seems like temps could drop to low 30's and I seem to recall some reviews questioning Lafuma bags' temp ratings. Have you used it in these temps?

Spokes
07-24-2012, 11:15
So one morning as Brown Chicken and I were breaking the ice off our tent this guy (Whitney Houston) comes running by in those 70's running shorts and super tiny tank top. As we look at him in bafflement he yells to us "I wish I'd brought more clothing".

Ha! You know what they say:

"There's no such thing as too cold, just inadequate clothing"

Bucho
07-25-2012, 22:44
I have no expereince with Lafuma bags but I would be concerned using that in Fall and early spring in the SE. Seems like temps could drop to low 30's and I seem to recall some reviews questioning Lafuma bags' temp ratings. Have you used it in these temps?

I've been hoping that someone with first hand experience would weigh in because I am seeing an aweful lot of reviews that Lafuma's ratings aren't accurate.