PDA

View Full Version : Transportation to the White Mountains

folkxrock
07-20-2012, 22:26
I am trying to pull together a 6-day hike in the White Mountains with a couple friends for October 7-13 (including travel to and from). Can anyone suggest transportation from the airport to the White Mountains and back? We are open on the airport - so far we have considered Manchester, Albany, Bradley INT - basically we don't care where we land.
I emailed the long distance shuttle services listed on http://www.greenmountainhouse.net/ - but one guy is out of town until the end of July and I have not received a response from the other two people listed. The best flights I have found are into Manchester - so I guess that would be my first choice if it makes sense logistically. Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DavidNH
07-20-2012, 23:03
Check out www.concordcoachlines.com for bus service from Boston Logan Airport. One bus a day to AMC Pinkham Notch Visitor Center and Gorham, NH (arriving late very late afternoon or early evening) and one bus the other way leaving early in AM. The AMC also runs shuttle service (12 $ a ride I think) to various trailheads. check it out at outdoors.org. I am not aware of any public transportation from Manchester, NH to get you to the whites.

peakbagger
07-21-2012, 06:07
The shuttle connection in Lincoln NH may be a good option. They are right of I93 at the southern gateway to the whites. They can easily drop you off anywhere in the southern whites. They have good rep and with a several people the price per person will not be outrageous. You would fly into Manchester. Using the public bus option will cost less but you will end up needing to use the AMC shuttles which will add some travel times. There are options from both Pinkham notch or Lincoln from Manchester that connect up with AMC.

You can easily be on the trail 4 hours after you land with the Shuttle connection versus plan on an overnight on both ends of the trip using buses.

Do note you are pushing the season, the leaves should be off the trees and the summits may have some snow. THe usual transition from summer to fall is usally right around the end of September. You could have 30 degree nights which turn into 70 degree days.

Del Q
07-21-2012, 09:06
Got it..............I am going to be in Vermont to complete the 100 miles I had to skip last year due to Hurricane Irene.........am thinking of shuttle from Hanover to Franconia Notch, adding the 28 miles in the Whites, mid October could be interesting weather-wise with the weird patterns we have seen this year in the USA

Shuttle to Portland, fly home.