PDA

View Full Version : So. VA mail drop?

Jaybird
04-25-2005, 07:42
hey gang!

about to leave on my 3 week + section hike

whats the best/closest mail-drop in Southern Virginia (Damascus to Pearisburg) approx midway to my destination???

any good/bad experiences?

how about cheep motels in same town? :D

see ya'll out there: APR 28-May 5 ("Model T crew (http://www.modelt.net)") Hot Springs-Erwin
May 6 & 7 (Sobo) Carvers Gap-Erwin
May 8-20 (Nobo) Damascus-Pearisburg

Lugnut
04-25-2005, 09:01
I've always been treated well at the Victory motel at Rural Retreat/Groseclose/Atkins or whatever the real name of the place is. They used to accept mail drops and the guy next door did shuttles. There is a Dairy Queen, a very good restaurant, and a convenience store all with in a couple hundred feet. There used to be another restaurant right in front of the motel but it was closed the last time I was there.

Kerosene
04-25-2005, 09:23
I'm hoping to walk from Catawba to Atkins/Groseclose in early June. How easy is it to re-supply in Bland?

Sly
04-25-2005, 10:05
The Relax Inn at I-81/US11 is nearly halfway to Pearisburg from Damascus and used to accept mail drops. Probably still do.

Bland has a couple good stores to resupply in.

Jack Tarlin
04-25-2005, 13:20
Try;

Relax Inn
7253 Lee Highway Exit 54
Rural Retreat, VA. 24368

(276)783-5811

Other mail possibilities:

P.O. in Troutdale, VA 24378

P.O. in Bland 24315

Best motels are Relax Inn and Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg (540) 921-2636. There's a motel in Bland, the Big Walker (call 276-688-3331 for details); there's also a church hostel in Troutdale that has an excellent reputation.

The Solemates
04-25-2005, 13:31
We used the grocer in Marion, VA to resupply, although it was a spur of the moment decision and the town is a bit far (maybe 10 miles or so). There is a Food Lion in town.

Lugnut
04-25-2005, 18:33
Did the Victory change it's name to Relax Inn? That sounds like the same location I was talking about, I-81/11.

Cookerhiker
04-25-2005, 21:53
Did the Victory change it's name to Relax Inn? That sounds like the same location I was talking about, I-81/11.I never knew it as the Victory - I thought it was the Village Motel before. Anyway, it's the Relax Inn now. I stayed there while doing 2 section hikes in early February south of Groseclose and early March (in the snow) north of Groseclose. The owner shuttles virtually anywhere and I believe he accepts maildrops. In addition to the Dairy Queen, there's a "local color" restaurant across the street. Finally, if you're in the middle of a hike and don't want to stay at the Relax Inn, the Shell station offers showers for $5, towel included.

Rendezvous01
04-25-2005, 22:28
Troutdale was a tough hitch for me in 2001 (read: 2 mile backwards hike along busy road late in the afternoon, and on a mildly sprained ankle, too!) But the Postmaster there made up for it. I stumbled in to the PO just before closing, but he waited patiently for me to repack my bouncebox, then gave me a ride back to the Trail, including a stop at the store for a cold drink. His generosity and caring helped me forget my sore ankle and propelled me another five miles down the Trail that evening. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the place for a maildrop (too soon after Damascus, at least for a thru-hiker), but I have a good memory of the place.

Lugnut
04-26-2005, 00:58
I never knew it as the Victory - I thought it was the Village Motel before. Anyway, it's the Relax Inn now. I stayed there while doing 2 section hikes in early February south of Groseclose and early March (in the snow) north of Groseclose. The owner shuttles virtually anywhere and I believe he accepts maildrops. In addition to the Dairy Queen, there's a "local color" restaurant across the street. Finally, if you're in the middle of a hike and don't want to stay at the Relax Inn, the Shell station offers showers for $5, towel included.

I stand corrected: It was Village. At least I had the "V" right! Maybe I should switch from .02 to .01 cents worth. :o