PDA

View Full Version : Anyone check out Hidden Pond recently?

lilricky
07-21-2012, 17:28
Was wondering if the recent storms filled it back to normal levels.

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 17:30
Not up on my AT cyber places, where is Hidden ponds?....and don't say it's hidden:)

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 17:32
Uh first tree to the right of...North Georgia.

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 17:36
Oh thanks Woo, I think I read about that place once:Don line o'coarse

moytoy
07-21-2012, 17:37
FT in Ocala NF..I'll be there Monday LR and give an update!

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 17:39
FT in Ocala NF..I'll be there Monday LR and give an update!Thanks Moytoy, we finaly had some rain up here in the N.East, hope you get yours Lilricky

WingedMonkey
07-21-2012, 19:54
Wow...posted in the Florida Trial Forum....where could it be?

:sun

WingedMonkey
07-21-2012, 19:57
Was wondering if the recent storms filled it back to normal levels.

Better for swimming when it is full, but I wouldn't 't think with the springs that it ever goes totally dry. How bad have you seen it?

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 20:34

:sun:rolleyes:...........................:D

lilricky
07-22-2012, 18:55
Better for swimming when it is full, but I wouldn't 't think with the springs that it ever goes totally dry. How bad have you seen it?
You're right, it is spring fed, but with the lack of rain in the past year, the spring has slowed, both to Hidden Pond, and Crooked Sapling Pond right behind it. It was about 2 feet down from its usual level, still high enough to cool off, but definitely not where we would like to see it at.

lilricky
07-22-2012, 18:57

Most people don't even realize Whiteblaze's forums have other trails listed... :)

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 19:06
Most people don't even realize Whiteblaze's forums have other trails listed... :)And not only that, I'm notorious for responding to 7 1/2 year old threads......and then subscribing to them :eek::o:D:cool:

WingedMonkey
07-22-2012, 19:23
You're right, it is spring fed, but with the lack of rain in the past year, the spring has slowed, both to Hidden Pond, and Crooked Sapling Pond right behind it. It was about 2 feet down from its usual level, still high enough to cool off, but definitely not where we would like to see it at.

I went swimming there one night, thinking it was much lower than it was. All of a sudden I was way over my head and the water was damn cold, that's when I figured I had a spring.
Ive never had the nerve (always hiking alone) to see if I could find the bottom.

Crooked Sapling, I think I have seen about dry except for a gator hole in the middle, didn't investigate that either, so never knew if it was spring fed. I try to avoid swimming with gators. Well unless I've got room anyway.

I've seen them in Hidden Pond, but I think they are just passing through.....it has to be fished out unless it gets a good flood.

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 19:33
I went swimming there one night, thinking it was much lower than it was. All of a sudden I was way over my head and the water was damn cold, that's when I figured I had a spring.
Ive never had the nerve (always hiking alone) to see if I could find the bottom.

Crooked Sapling, I think I have seen about dry except for a gator hole in the middle, didn't investigate that either, so never knew if it was spring fed. I try to avoid swimming with gators. Well unless I've got room anyway.

I've seen them in Hidden Pond, but I think they are just passing through.....it has to be fished out unless it gets a good flood.

:sunIf you want to find out if it has Alligators in it, take your dog for a walk there, if there there, you'll have a nice cardio workout, make sure the dog knows how to hall a$$ also, and knows the way home in case you don't make it. Happy hiking/swimming/running like all get out :D

WingedMonkey
07-22-2012, 19:38
If you've ever lost a dog to a gator it's not so humorous.

JaxHiker
07-23-2012, 16:40
FT in Ocala NF..I'll be there Monday LR and give an update!
You must be some kind of crazy hiking there this time of year. I'm usually there in June when it's much cooler. :D

moytoy
07-24-2012, 18:04

WingedMonkey
07-24-2012, 18:21
Great pics Moytoy. That is dang low.

moytoy
07-24-2012, 18:31
Great pics Moytoy. That is dang low.

Yep! I'm no geologist but I have always thought that the water level at Hidden Pond reflects the level of the ground water rather than holding rain water.
I know it has a spring under it but it doesn't have an outflow so the presure of the water in the pond just keeps it from outflowing. i guessing of course. If anyone can correct me on that feel free.

lilricky
07-24-2012, 19:52
Thanks for the pics moytoy! Looks better than what it was, those sticks poking out of the water were on dry land last time I was there.

treesloth
07-26-2012, 10:46
I can not wait until it cools down to get back there again. Reeaaally looking forward to a walk-through of the ONF in the late Fall or early Winter. The last time, she wasn't the kindest to me, what with the blisters and DRY sections, but I'm going back with more knowledge this time.

For those that think you need mountains to see beauty, I really suggest you come down here and take a look. Especially if you are in the North, and it's Winter, and you're itching to hike!

lilricky
07-27-2012, 23:18
Treesloth, just to give you a heads up, on MLK weekend(Jan. 18-21, 2013) Hammockforums is having our 3rd Annual Florida Hang at Buck Lake in the Ocala National Forest. It will be a bunch(around 120) of us hammock hikers, but ground dwellers are welcome! We'll have plenty of hammocks for you to look at and try out, along with a raffle, great food, a cornhole tournament and a whole lot of fun.

Old Hiker
07-27-2012, 23:53
Details on the hang: fees, reservatins, etc., please? I'm back on the ground and am happy with my Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 so far, but I'd like to check out other hammocks, etc.

I also want to start checking out the FT for hiking practice when it cools off just a bit. I'll probably start posting questions this fall.

Thanks.

moytoy
07-28-2012, 07:47
Details on the hang: fees, reservatins, etc., please? I'm back on the ground and am happy with my Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 so far, but I'd like to check out other hammocks, etc.

I also want to start checking out the FT for hiking practice when it cools off just a bit. I'll probably start posting questions this fall.

Thanks.
No fee, and it's first come first serve unless something has changed in the last year or so. Sometimes the hang gets a mention on this forum but it gets more coverage over on hammockforums.net. I'm not sure if the exact date as been set yet. Others will know more than me about it.

moytoy
07-28-2012, 07:54
There is a thread over on hammockforums.net that gives all the details of the hang in ONF. title ..3rd Annual Florida Hang It's going to be on MLK weekend.