PDA

View Full Version : My mother is a brilliant, brilliant woman

Veetack
07-21-2012, 19:58
Seriously, she's a genius. My sister's birthday is tomorrow, and she lives several hours from me in Martinsville, VA. My mother is flying up from south Florida to pick her up on Thursday and take her somewhere that my sister has no idea. The original plan was to pick her up and bring her to my place in Knoxville to get the family together. Well, I was talking to my mother on the phone this morning on the way home from work and she says, "You know what would be cool? If we just met you somewhere in the mountains."

My eyes lit up. I've been stuck on my journey from Springer at Davenport Gap, because I couldn't figure out how I wanted to split up the hike from Davenport to Damascus, or do it in one shot. Well, I told my mom that she should take my Sister to Hot Springs, and I will hike in and meet them there. It's only 30 something miles, and I'm not usually a fan of one night trips (I like to go longer), but I had to take this opportunity. Keep in mind, my sister thinks I have to work Friday night, when in actuality, I'm off from Wednesday to the next Friday.

I will actually arrive at the resort a few hours before them, but that will give me time to shower and get rid of some of the stink. We're going to stay in town Thursday and Friday nights, then return to Knoxville on Saturday morning, after having been sufficiently pampered at the spa. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna add the weight by carrying a change of clothes, but my sister will be absolutely shocked, and I get a chance to get back on the trail!

How cool is that? I can't imagine a better way to help my sister celebrate her birthday.

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 20:30
That's very cool Veetack, have a great reunion, and birthday party, maybe bring her a pine cone, or some wild flowers, the wild Daisy's are out right now in my area, Daisy's are cool flowers....I like em anyway.

Or some nice post card shots from different trail towns.

HikerMom58
07-21-2012, 22:27
Very Very cool!! Have FUN!! I like rocketsocks idea of the flowers! :)

rocketsocks
07-21-2012, 22:37
Nothing says I love you, like flowers, at least that's what I heard on TV.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2012, 23:47
Yes I agree - have a great time... glad ya considered the shower...mate.

et_afig
07-22-2012, 05:28
She sounds like an angel in my opinion. I can't get my mom to go to the blessed park, let alone meet me in the mountains for a celebration!

Is she looking for an adopted child?

Veetack
07-22-2012, 07:15
She sounds like an angel in my opinion. I can't get my mom to go to the blessed park, let alone meet me in the mountains for a celebration!

Is she looking for an adopted child?

Should have asked while we all still lived in Jacksonville... :P