PDA

View Full Version : Double vs. single wall tent

Cozy
07-22-2012, 10:07
I'd like to know the advantages/disadvantages of having a single walled tent. I recently purchased the MSR Nook tent (double wall, 2p, 3lb. 2 oz.). I like being able to place my gear inside the tent instead of in the vestibule. To me, it's really a 1 1/2 person tent.

I am considering a thru hike and would consider looking at a single wall tent to lighten the tent weight.

dessertrat
07-22-2012, 10:40
I have a tarp tent and it is great for keeping bugs out, but if it rains, condensation keeps splashing down on me, not hard but enough to get one soggy overnight. I would opt for a bit of extra weight, the tent you have is a good weight for its size.

ChinMusic
07-22-2012, 10:49
I have had both. If you choose poorly in your site selection you will have condensation with your double-wall tent as well. I found the condensation in my single-wall tent to be VERY managable with a simple camp towel. Site selection is key no matter what tent you choose.

Currently I use a LightHeart Solo which is a double wall, without the double-wall weight penalty. I find it the best of both worlds.

leaftye
07-22-2012, 10:51
Single wall weighs less and packs smaller. You also get maximum interior space from the poles used. A lot of single wall tents can be pitched at different heights to accommodate weather and ventilation needs. A double wall protects you from condensation, and in some weather it prevents condensation. A double wall generally gives you the option of having a pure net tent that offers great bug-free views.

If you go single wall and plan to use a potty bottle, I suggest making sure you get a tent tall enough that you have enough room to do your business, and preferably have enough room to do it without getting your back wet with condensation. You can wipe down the wall first, but that doesn't work as well if the condensation is frozen.

You might also consider hybrid tents. Lightheart, Big Sky International and Six Moon Designs make hybrid tents. The Lightheart Solo is technically a double wall tent, but I'd still call it a hybrid since the fly isn't completely removable even though it can be rolled up and provide virtually unobstructed views.

ChinMusic
07-22-2012, 10:56
If you go single wall and plan to use a potty bottle, I suggest making sure you get a tent tall enough that you have enough room to do your business, and preferably have enough room to do it without getting your back wet with condensation.

A non-issue with practice. One can lay on their back, still in their bag, with good control. Twist a bit, yes, but no need to get up on your knees.

House of Payne
07-22-2012, 10:59
I think it comes down to personal preference and what your looking to get out of a shelter. As others have weighed in, as simple as a single walled tarp to save on weight and time or as elaborate as a double walled single man tent (ie: SMD or LH) Both will have their own specific targets and low weights depending on options. My thru hike thoughts are for the double wall tent. I can my keep my weight down with fabric choices and control condensation with air flow and site location.

10-K
07-22-2012, 11:18
If you don't start out with a single wall tent the odds are pretty high you'll switch to one eventually because of the weight savings and you'll learn about site selection and the role it plays in creating additional condensation.

If you stay away from grass, pitch under trees and avoid wet/damp areas you're ahead of the game no matter what kind of tent you have.

pyroman53
07-22-2012, 11:51
If you don't start out with a single wall tent the odds are pretty high you'll switch to one eventually because of the weight savings...

Now that's the voice of experience! Certainly true if you think you might get serious about weight. I completely agree. Only disadvantage of single wall for me is condensation and maybe some misting in heavy rain. Both can be mitigated but your decision if you want to deal with it.

grayfox
07-22-2012, 18:12
For me the worst disadvantage of my single wall tent, other than not being able to see around the campsite, is that on a hot but buggy night there is no way to cool down and not be eaten alive--that is why I always used to consider single wall tents as 'cold weather/ mountain' tents. I like the option of not buttoning down the fly on a warm night and still having mosquito protection. Late fall and winter it is nice to have the weigh savings of the single wall tent but I still might opt for a tarp so I can enjoy the scenery.

Wise Old Owl
07-22-2012, 18:20
Grayfox has a point some of the early single wall tents allowed ports for view, I like looking out too at night. But I have a HH now, and your looking for tents.

Drybones
07-22-2012, 20:51
Whether double or single wall you are going to have condensate under certain conditions. My experience is that you get as much condensate with one as the other. I find it easier to wipe condensate off a standing tent rather than a rain fly laying on the ground. As one of the other people commented, if you're wanting to save weight you will eventually own a single wall tent of some nature. I'm now on my fifth tent as I have lightened my load. I now use a Tarptent Notch, which is actually a double wall tent since it has a complete mesh enclosure. It weighs 26 oz.

T.S.Kobzol
07-22-2012, 21:04
Really? I can do it while laying on side.

A non-issue with practice. One can lay on their back, still in their bag, with good control. Twist a bit, yes, but no need to get up on your knees.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ChinMusic
07-22-2012, 23:07
Really? I can do it while laying on side.

With a wide-mouth bottle such as a 32-oz Gatorade bottle just turning the hips a bit works great. I haven't gotten out of my sleeping bag in years. There is a MAJOR penalty for screwing up, just don't.......

leaftye
07-22-2012, 23:44
I'll have to give that a shot. Getting up on my knees often seems to result in a cramp, so it'll be nice to avoid that. Seems it might be a bit risky on a non-foam air pad though. Hopefully I don't come up with a story to tell y'all in a few years when I get over the inevitable shame.

The Solemates
07-23-2012, 09:09
ive used both single wall and double wall tents. i have many many bags night in both - like at the least over 500 each in both. If set up properly, I cant tell the difference between the two with regards to condensation, bugs, space, and anything else previous posters mention.

ChinMusic
07-23-2012, 11:13
ive used both single wall and double wall tents. i have many many bags night in both - like at the least over 500 each in both. If set up properly, I cant tell the difference between the two with regards to condensation, bugs, space, and anything else previous posters mention.

I pretty much agree with this except that a double-wall tent SHOULD have less condensation based on its design. It should have more ventilation. The fact that you got mesh between you and the outer wall has no effect, by itself, on condensation formation.

T.S.Kobzol
07-23-2012, 11:42
Yes. I use an old neogene bottle. I wrapped a yellow hockey tape around the middle to avoid mistaking bottles for other use.

With a wide-mouth bottle such as a 32-oz Gatorade bottle just turning the hips a bit works great. I haven't gotten out of my sleeping bag in years. There is a MAJOR penalty for screwing up, just don't.......

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Jim Adams
07-23-2012, 19:14
double walls work and single walls don't....either save real weight and use a tarp or buy a double wall and camp anywhere.

geek

ChinMusic
07-23-2012, 19:38
double walls work and single walls don't....either save real weight and use a tarp or buy a double wall and camp anywhere.

geek
Is that a statement of fact or your opinion?

If your opinion I disagree strongly. Single-wall tents function just fine for tons of folks. The proof is in the pudding.

If that is a statement of fact, it is just plain wrong.

Wise Old Owl
07-23-2012, 20:41
Jim - and Chin, let Jim clarify - the post is well awkward... Jim take another shot, clear this up.