PDA

View Full Version : White Pine Needle tea, Dandelion Greens

Josh Calhoun
07-22-2012, 13:35
Been trying allot of natural food and natural medicine's here lately. and i have really been enjoying it. does anybody ever boil whit pine needles to make a vit C rich tea? How about Dandelion Greens or roots? Miners lettuce?

Surplusman
07-22-2012, 15:34
I never tried white pine needle tea, but I love fresh picked dandelion salad. Cooked dandelion greens to me are disgusting. But heck, try them out. Dandelion greens and pine needles are free. Most stuff like this is an acquired taste. In the summer, I prefer switchel as my "energy" drink. It's what the farmers used to drink in the 1700's and 1800's when they were out in the hot summer fields working. It's a teaspoon of cider vinegar, one of molasses, and a pinch of ginger in a quart of water. It's tart from the vinegar, sweet from the molasses, and the ginger keeps you from getting nauseated in the heat. But you gotta get used to it. It isn't Gatorade.

Good luck!

oops56
07-22-2012, 15:50
dandelion root dry in oven or dehydrate makes coffee smash it up like reg coffee

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 19:15
Haven't tried it yet, waiting for my neighbor to leave, so's I can go abscond some, he makes wine out of them, and has security lights and whistles.

By the way, your real names not Willie is it?:eek:;)

Seriously though, I have been wanting to try Dadelions, just haven't done it yet, ate squash blossoms in the beginning of the summer

bert304
07-22-2012, 19:44
Queen's Ann lace root is a wild carrot, clean the dirt off and boil them

Mountain Maiden
07-22-2012, 20:20
Been trying allot of natural food and natural medicine's here lately. and i have really been enjoying it. does anybody ever boil white pine needles to make a vit C rich tea? How about Dandelion Greens or roots? Miners lettuce?

Josh--white pine tea is a great medicine for any kind of bronchial congestion, too. It will knock out even severe congestion in just a few days of use. Very IMPORTANT CAUTION tho'---- It should never, ever, ever be used by pregnant women!!! Please make it a practice to share this information any time you share about white pine tea.

Enjoy foraging! It makes hiking an even better experience.

scree
07-22-2012, 20:36
I've been known to boil up pine needles from time to time. As mentioned, it's a great source of vitamin C and actually tastes OK (exactly as it smells, exactly as you'd think) once you've acquired the taste.

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 20:44
Queen's Ann lace root is a wild carrot, clean the dirt off and boil themSweeeeeeeeeet!

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 20:47
Josh--white pine tea is a great medicine for any kind of bronchial congestion, too. It will knock out even severe congestion in just a few days of use. Very IMPORTANT CAUTION tho'---- It should never, ever, ever be used by pregnant women!!! Please make it a practice to share this information any time you share about white pine tea.

Enjoy foraging! It makes hiking an even better experience.I too will pass this on, thanks for that info, and happy foraging, I like that,it's nice.

Mountain Maiden
07-22-2012, 21:12
Queen's Ann lace root is a wild carrot, clean the dirt off and boil them

A really complete article about 'wild carrots' and again===BIG CAUTION: Not to be used during pregnancy AND--it has an EVIL TWIN---DEADLY HEMLOCK

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/queen.html

We have LOTS of Queen Anne's Lace growing nearby right now--ready for HARVEST!

RodentWhisperer
07-22-2012, 22:27
Dandelion greens are truly awesome, IMO-- a little on the bitter side, but in combo with the right ingredients, they can be "haute cuisine." Pick them as early in the season as you can, because the bitterness increases over time. I like Queen Anne's Lace, too-- but the roots are a little bland, and most of the roots I've found are so small you need about two dozen for a good sized dish. Ideally, you'd pull the roots before the plant has fully blossomed-- that way the roots would have their maximum sugar content.

Mountain Maiden
07-22-2012, 22:36
Dandelion greens are truly awesome, IMO-- a little on the bitter side, but in combo with the right ingredients, they can be "haute cuisine." Pick them as early in the season as you can, because the bitterness increases over time. I like Queen Anne's Lace, too-- but the roots are a little bland, and most of the roots I've found are so small you need about two dozen for a good sized dish. Ideally, you'd pull the roots before the plant has fully blossomed-- that way the roots would have their maximum sugar content.

I really like dandelion greens. My problem is I never think about gathering them 'til its too late and I see those pretty yellow flowers.... not much to do then except make dandelion wine!

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 10:23
I never tried white pine needle tea, but I love fresh picked dandelion salad. Cooked dandelion greens to me are disgusting. But heck, try them out. Dandelion greens and pine needles are free. Most stuff like this is an acquired taste. In the summer, I prefer switchel as my "energy" drink. It's what the farmers used to drink in the 1700's and 1800's when they were out in the hot summer fields working. It's a teaspoon of cider vinegar, one of molasses, and a pinch of ginger in a quart of water. It's tart from the vinegar, sweet from the molasses, and the ginger keeps you from getting nauseated in the heat. But you gotta get used to it. It isn't Gatorade.

Good luck!

I'm going to make some of that in a few minutes, actually. I'll let you know how it tastes.

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 12:40
Okay, I made some. I used a tablespoon of white vinegar, a tablespoon and a half of honey for my sweet-tooth, and a pinch of ginger. It tastes pretty decent, actually. My brother isn't fond of it, but I could see myself taking that with me on a hike.

Mags
07-24-2012, 13:51
Dandelion greens are truly awesome, IMO-- a little on the bitter side, but in combo with the right ingredients, they can be "haute cuisine."

Find it funny that a simple dish in now "haute cuisine" (not criticizing your statement by any means, just an observation).

"Back in the day" my older relatives (who passed on when I was about 10) would pick dandelion greens and saute' them with garlic and olive oil. Maybe a little lemon. Some chic peas to give it some protein, too, on occasion.

Wasn't gourmet food...but what the poor people ate in Southern Italy and continued to do so when they came over for quite while.

Now it is gourmet.

Go figure! :)

(And I now make them too. Local grocery stores sell them. Funny that I have to go the higher end markets to buy this stuff. Ha!)

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 14:02
Hah, kind of reminds me of the corned beef and cabbage situation in my native Rhode Island. What was once peasant food for Irish immigrants has become a practical state dish.

Mags
07-24-2012, 14:13
Hah, kind of reminds me of the corned beef and cabbage situation in my native Rhode Island. What was once peasant food for Irish immigrants has become a practical state dish.

I'm from RI myself. See you made the escape, too. ;)

Oddly enough, corned beef is Jewish and was adopted by the Irish immigrants from their Jewish neighbors.

It was bacon back in Ireland apparently. Corned beef was more affordable.

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/03/corned-beef-and-cabbage-more-jewish.html

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 14:31
Escape? Hah! I want to go home, I hate Florida. The only thing I like about it are the lax firearm laws and the forests.

Oddly enough, corned beef is Jewish and was adopted by the Irish immigrants from their Jewish neighbors.

Mags
07-24-2012, 15:20
Escape? Hah! I want to go home, I hate Florida. The only thing I like about it are the lax firearm laws and the forests.

What is it you miss about RI? The high unemployment rate (2nd highest in the country!) ? Crumbling infrastructure? Rampant corruption and cronyism? Aging population? Congestion and high population density?

I do miss Del's...

:D

(Sorry for the tread drift. ;) )

Rasty
07-24-2012, 15:27

From what I understand about the Corned beef history is that the Irish moved into poorest neighborhoods and could only afford the cheapest cut.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 15:46
I gotta have my Corned beef and Cabbage, love it. My favorite go to Sandwich is a Rubin, which I believe is definitely a Jewish thing, don't really care though who makes it, who started it, only who's got it on the menu. There's a restaurant in NY City called the New York Deli on Broadway, in the theater district, and they make a Rubin that is , No lie, 3 1/2" high, ah dam, I just salivated myself.......:D

and the keep it on topic....Dandelions;)

Rasty
07-24-2012, 15:58
I gotta have my Corned beef and Cabbage, love it. My favorite go to Sandwich is a Rubin, which I believe is definitely a Jewish thing, don't really care though who makes it, who started it, only who's got it on the menu. There's a restaurant in NY City called the New York Deli on Broadway, in the theater district, and they make a Rubin that is , No lie, 3 1/2" high, ah dam, I just salivated myself.......:D

and the keep it on topic....Dandelions;)

The two dominant opinions on the Reuben are German or Lithuanian.

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 17:35
What is it you miss about RI? The high unemployment rate (2nd highest in the country!) ? Crumbling infrastructure? Rampant corruption and cronyism? Aging population? Congestion and high population density?

I do miss Del's...

:D

(Sorry for the tread drift. ;) )

The culture, the food, the beaches, the boats, the fact that we were Massachusetts but not Massachusetts, Iggy's Clam Chowdah, Rhode's Subs and Pizza, Fort Adams, and the New England Trail. Also, nostalgia, which was better back home :3

Hairbear
07-24-2012, 18:30
great to see other foragers out there.Heres a little food for thought some of those plants most call weeds are the plants brought here by early settlers to this country .Most came here from intense poverty reasons.they couldnt bring much with them so they sewed the seeds from their native medicinal plants and food favorites into the seams of their under garmets and smuggled them on board.once here they spread like wild fire to the dandy things we have today.heres a tip for dandelion boil the parts of the plant you eat in water for five minutes it gets rid of the bitter,and the blossoms are edible too.

Hairbear
07-24-2012, 18:41
t he latin name for dandelion means official remedy

Hairbear
07-24-2012, 18:49
even the sap is useful the white ooze when applied to wart helps to get rid of them it takes a while but will work .i think milk weed works better for me though.you can feel a mild dull burn(not painful).i like the greens for the potasium if im cramping in the muscles im eating dandelions not the seed of my heartburn the bloody bannana.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 19:05
The two dominant opinions on the Reuben are German or Lithuanian.Alrighty then, German it is, that'll work too, hehe :D

I guess you could say (as learned in another post) that I consider the Rubin as a 'Dandelion'...Official Remedy, that's that salivation thing again.....;) It's like a sickness/obsession with me...Love em!

Hairbear
07-24-2012, 20:43
Alrighty then, German it is, that'll work too, hehe :D

I guess you could say (as learned in another post) that I consider the Rubin as a 'Dandelion'...Official Remedy, that's that salivation thing again.....;) It's like a sickness/obsession with me...Love em!
like your quote rocket socks

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 20:46
like your quote rocket socksThanks Hearbear, but I've only stood on the shoulders of great Men:sun;)