PDA

View Full Version : White Mountains Parking

folkxrock
07-22-2012, 14:20
I am planning a trip to the White Mountains and thinking of driving up and parking. Can anyone recommend where to park? I was not sure if parking at a trailhead was safe or even advised. Are there places to park in one of the surrounding towns that would be a better alternative?

Thanks

imscotty
07-22-2012, 15:43
Folkxrock: Your covering a huge area with your question. Why don't you narrow it down and tell us what trailhead, trails you were thinking of hiking.

johnnybgood
07-22-2012, 21:22
Trailhead parking lots in the Whites are often full of cars, so my guess is there isn't much worry. Trail towns are further apart up in the north country so trailhead parking is all you have.

nitewalker
07-22-2012, 22:08
plenty of places to park for dayhikes or multi-day trips into the white mtns. pinkham notch has parking, crawford notch, franconia notch have parking. cannon mtn has parking. lots of areas to park along the kancamangus highway. cog railroad area has parking. you should be fine....have a great trip!!

Hikerhead
07-22-2012, 22:08
Park at the Pinkham Notch or Crawford Notch AMC centers and use their shuttle. A map and schedule is on their website.

Deadeye
07-22-2012, 23:20
Big difference with New Hampshire trailhead parking - much of it comes with a fee. You can pay by the day at the lot, or get a season pass on line or at ranger stations. Trailhead parking in NH is no different from trailhead parking anywhere else as near as I can tell: 99.9% of the time it's fine, but now and then some bonehead decides to break into cars. Pretty much a random event that you can't avoid anywhere unless you stay home.

Recreation (Parking) passes are $3/day or $20/season, details here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/whitemountain/passes-permits/recreation

I got mine online, and quickly, here:
http://www.myscenicdrives.com/store/item/forest-passes/white-mountain

Driver8
07-23-2012, 04:09
I know someone in Lincoln who will let you park your car for a few days at his home with doubles as a hiker hostel, and who can arrange for shuttling to Franconia Notch or Kinsman Notch. PM if this might be useful to you and I'll be happy to provide his name and number.

q-tip
07-23-2012, 06:08
Does it cost any money to park at Kinsman Notch???????

peakbagger
07-23-2012, 07:08
The need for a USFS parking pass in the whites is murky if you are planning ahead. At many of popular major trailheads (basically the majority of the trailhead that access the AMC Huts and other popular trails may require a parking pass of a fee (they usually have a self service set up so you pay at the trailhead). If the trailhead is on state land, you usually do not have to pay. If you do have to pay and are leaving the car for a long period its usually less expensive to buy a year round pass than pay the day use fees. THe USFS is very active in ticketting cars that don pay the fee. If you ignore the ticket, you could end up with a federal warrant on your record. Many of the smaller trailheads dont require a fee. In general the easiest assumption is that you most likely will have to pay for parking at the trailheads that access the AT but if there isnt a sign when you get to the parking lot, fell free to buy an extra beer at the end of the trip.

As for car break ins, its hit or miss, many park for long periods with no issues, but many trailheads have signs of broken car windows. The most secure lots in the Northern Whites are probably Pinkham Notch, Lowes Store or the parking areas at the town of Gorham NH office building. The trails parking lots on either side of the highway in Francoinia Notch are usually secures as the adjacent campgodun is staffed. The parking lot on the south bound side of the road is probably a bit safer than the northbound parking. In all cases dont leave you valuable in the car, and dont leave your keys hidden out side your vehicle.

Barger
07-30-2012, 13:12
Does it cost any money to park at Kinsman Notch???????

No. You can also park at the Lafayette Campground parking lot. (Exit 34B on 93 - I think) if you want to skip the Kinsmans on the way over to 302. A buddy of mine and I did that recently. Left the car at Lafayette Campground, and caught a ride back to it from where the AT crosses 302 at the Ripley Falls access road. Moved it back over there and left it for a few days before heading up Webster Cliff towards Washington.

DavidNH
07-30-2012, 13:32
I will echo IMScotty's comment. You can't ask simply where should I park in or near the 800,000 acre White Mountain National Forest. You need to say what part of the mountains you are going to, what trailhead(s) and then we can help you out.

But some general comments will be given. at almost all parking lots you need a recreation pass (20 $ per year or I think 5-7 per week, 3 per day). You can buy day or week passes on site (self serve). Secondly, on summer or fall weekend especially with good weather the parking lots fill up quickly. At Appalacia on Route 2 (trailheads for Mts Madison and Adams) the lot fills up and cars are parked along the highway for several hundred feet in either direction by mid morning.

You might want to take advantage of the AMC shuttle (www.outdoors.org) which I think is 12 bucks a ride regardless of length.

JustBob
10-27-2012, 23:13
Also note that if you can park for free at trailheads that require a fee in the Whites if you have an have an Interagency Pass for NPS and USFS lands - there's a place on the self-service form for the pass number.