PDA

View Full Version : Terra 30

CN7Eagles
07-22-2012, 18:28
I'm planning around a 3 day hike in the smokies. The bag I plan to use is a North Face Terra 30. I'm having trouble fitting my gear. I know this is a small bag, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a 30L bag and how they packed it. Maybe a couple UL-ers will chime in. Thanks

Connie
07-24-2012, 13:28
I don't know exactly which model you have, what attachment straps it has, like that.

I have done a 30L pack for a three-day weekend.

It required my 900-fill Brooks-Range half bag and puffy jacket and would have been more comfortable with an insulated balaclava and Polarwrap half mask down to the 30's that disappears in the bottem of my pack.

I just don't have a zippered warm mummy bag to fit a pack that small, if one such exists.

I use a Ti-Goat Bug Bivy and Oware AsymTarp 1 and Gossamer Gear Polycro ground sheet that "disappear" in my pack, as well.

For the most part, I consider a 40 L backpack more suitable for 3-5 days. I have done more days, in fact.

However, all my clothing and gear is optimized for packable volume and is effective for whatever weather.

I have a zelph 1-cup Ridgeline and Mini Fancee Feest alcohol stove in a Target Twist Lock insulated for use as a cozy for FBC-freezer bag cooking for hot meals.

I carry low volume high calorie food, like couscous main dishes and hearty add-hot-water soups I add olive oil for more calories. Everything is repackaged.

If you add a stretch mesh pocket, covering most of the back of the backpack, you can carry your bivy and tarp (or tarptent) and groundsheet back there. I have that design.

I have seen add-on mesh like I describe. I can't come up with the brand name, right now.

There are DIY instructions for the add on mesh pocket I describe.

The Speedo Deluxe Mesh Equipment Bag, for example, could be adapted to attach or be permanently attached to the outside back of your pack.

I emphasize a full mesh pack pouch pocket because it is so handy for these items, when they are not completely dry. I do not want to ruin them with even a chance of mildew, by shoving them inside a waterproof bag.

I have added a 900-fill 3/4 top quilt made for the hammock campers for the shoulder season weather. It packs well.

I also have added a gathered end Grand Trunk Nano hammock that can be used off-the-ground with a tarp. This allows me to camp, wherever there are trees.

With all that, I am still in a 40 L pack with a full mesh back pouch pocket.

If you carried only part of that, relying on the weather forecast, you could do any of these combinations of shelter with a 30 L pack.

My clothing is also optimized: silkweight longjohns (sleepwear, or add for somewhat colder weather), my long pants are windproof and work well either wet or dry (bicycle tights: Pearl Izumi Tokyo Tights) and Icebreaker 200 half-zip top (in the pack for colder conditions), lightweight DWR windshirt rain jacket over a tank top and Puff vest, REI Trail LED Cap, 2-3 pair shorty socks, trail shoes, beanie hat (colder conditions or sleepwear).

Having this clothing in my pack, to adjust for conditions, doesn't take up much pack volume.

The answer: yes, you could do it, still having sufficient clothing and shelter and food to be practical. It would not be easy, however.

Don't cut corners on safety from hypothermia.

CN7Eagles
07-29-2012, 20:29
Thanks for your input Connie! I'm wanting to get out in the woods soon, but don't want to cough up a big chunk of dough for an ideal pack. :-?

Lando11
07-30-2012, 15:13
I think a 30L pack is plenty big for a weekend trip, as long as your gear is compact and you don't overdo it with food and extra clothes. I did the last 2/3 of the AT last year with a 34L pack and the only time it was maxed out on space was in the 100 mile wilderness.
With out asking you for a complete gear list, my recommendation is to stuff loose items like rain coat and xtra clothing into any small spaces between larger items like sleeping bag and tent. Consider leaving things like your stove at home to free up more volume as well. It's only 3 days, you'll be fine with no hot food.
If you rough it, the smaller pack will work just fine

Duramax22
07-30-2012, 16:35
I picked up a Osprey exos 46 weighs around 2lb 7oz and only paid 135 which is affordable for a quality pack on backcountry.com, theyll match basically anyones price. i can easily fit 5 days worth of gear and the pack is surprisingly comfortable.