PDA

View Full Version : Ankle weights for training,yea or nay?

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 18:59
Is the old mode of ankle weights good for building muscles or is the risk of injury just to great and more harm can come from doing so, if so, what could you do to build those muscles that the ankle weights would stimulate?

kayak karl
07-22-2012, 19:10
put some weights on your computer chair and place your monitors around the room. get shag carpeting to slow it down. if you already drilled holes in the chair arms because you are UL, you may have to add extra weight. :D

leaftye
07-22-2012, 20:33
I don't see the point unless you wear heavy boots or wear those ankle weights at or above your hips. I suppose it's not a bad idea if you're training to gain 6000 feet in elevation in a few hours. That's the only time my hip flexors got sore while wearing sneakers.

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 20:33
put some weights on your computer chair and place your monitors around the room. get shag carpeting to slow it down. if you already drilled holes in the chair arms because you are UL, you may have to add extra weight. :DI just finished building a harness like the old Cigars/Cigarettes tray, so I don't have to miss a post...might even start selling them, even got a secret compartment for a knife/gun underneath, with a built-in water filter that also coolsand cleans my watertube filled glasses at and around the forehead area. Not sure what to call it?

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 20:36
I don't see the point unless you wear heavy boots or wear those ankle weights at or above your hips. I suppose it's not a bad idea if you're training to gain 6000 feet in elevation in a few hours. That's the only time my hip flexors got sore while wearing sneakers.Yeah, I don't know, got and old pair, and just throwing it out there, figured the consensus has changed on that to.

Spirit Walker
07-22-2012, 22:03
Sounds like a really good way to screw up your knees.

Rasty
07-22-2012, 22:09
put some weights on your computer chair and place your monitors around the room. get shag carpeting to slow it down. if you already drilled holes in the chair arms because you are UL, you may have to add extra weight. :D

Rocket - You could also slow down your mouse. Go to your control panel and change your mouse speed to the slowest setting. You'd burn 4000 calories daily and have one Popeye sized arm. :D

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 23:09
Sounds like a really good way to screw up your knees.Well that's what I was wondering.

Rocket - You could also slow down your mouse. Go to your control panel and change your mouse speed to the slowest setting. You'd burn 4000 calories daily and have one Popeye sized arm. :DEeh ceh ceh ceh ceh, skeet-in/scat-in/deedle/doodle/de/de/dum/de-day:D

Rasty
07-22-2012, 23:16
Sounds like a really good way to screw up your knees.Well that's what I was wondering.

Rocket - You could also slow down your mouse. Go to your control panel and change your mouse speed to the slowest setting. You'd burn 4000 calories daily and have one Popeye sized arm. :DEeh ceh ceh ceh ceh, skeet-in/scat-in/deedle/doodle/de/de/dum/de-day:D

Rocket - Did you switch to a Divorac keyboard?

rocketsocks
07-22-2012, 23:22
Rocket - Did you switch to a Divorac keyboard?I don't mind saying....What!
what is Divorac, sound like a blood pressure medicine for key boards......

Rasty
07-23-2012, 00:33
Rocket - Did you switch to a Divorac keyboard?I don't mind saying....What!
what is Divorac, sound like a blood pressure medicine for key boards......

It a keyboard for one handed people. Its also fun to play a joke and program someones Qwerty keyboard as a Divorac keyboard. It screws up all the keys. When you touch the "a" its types something else.:D

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 05:34
It a keyboard for one handed people. Its also fun to play a joke and program someones Qwerty keyboard as a Divorac keyboard. It screws up all the keys. When you touch the "a" its types something else.:DOooooh! yeah, I have two of them, one for each finger, Hunt and Peck, and a third off to the side for the occasional pinky strike.

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 05:38
It a keyboard for one handed people. Its also fun to play a joke and program someones Qwerty keyboard as a Divorac keyboard. It screws up all the keys. When you touch the "a" its types something else.:DWell that explains it, my kid keeps messing with my settings/keyboard, and each time I hit the "F" key, this pops up16701Let me know if you really wanna see it again, hehehe

House of Payne
07-23-2012, 05:59
I tried a different training routine for my summer trip to the whites in NH this year. Aside from regular walking miles I got a 35 lb weight vest and wore it when I used the stairmaster at the gym. The result was I didn't fatigue as quickly on the ups as I normally would.

Connie
07-23-2012, 06:22
Walking stairs is helpful. Running stairs is helpful, if you need to do anerobic climbing for a major mountain (over 10,000' altitude).

For everything else, gradual training with shallow knee bends is helpful for a major effort.

Most people condition best for hiking by hiking.

I recommend my webpage Conditioning for Hiking:
http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/links2.html

Don't worry, it is a .info website.

If you are reluctant to use lightweight hiking shoes for the more lightweight backpacking that is so popular now, "google" ankle rehab pdf for some helpful information.

There is so much help, right here in the forum, for having a more lightweight backpack if you are interested. Oh, duh, that is what my website shown in my signature below is all about.

Grits
07-23-2012, 06:49
No 10,000 footers here but we do have plenty of 4-5-6000 footers. http://www.carolinamountainclub.org/index.cfm/do/pages.view/id/23/page/South-Beyond-6000

http://tehcc.org/hiking/challenges/south-beyond-6000/ and load those ankle weights up in your pack for your day hiking.

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 13:39
Walking stairs is helpful. Running stairs is helpful, if you need to do anerobic climbing for a major mountain (over 10,000' altitude).

For everything else, gradual training with shallow knee bends is helpful for a major effort.

Most people condition best for hiking by hiking.

I recommend my webpage Conditioning for Hiking:
http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/links2.html

Don't worry, it is a .info website.

If you are reluctant to use lightweight hiking shoes for the more lightweight backpacking that is so popular now, "google" ankle rehab pdf for some helpful information.

There is so much help, right here in the forum, for having a more lightweight backpack if you are interested. Oh, duh, that is what my website shown in my signature below is all about.Cool, like your site

No 10,000 footers here but we do have plenty of 4-5-6000 footers. http://www.carolinamountainclub.org/index.cfm/do/pages.view/id/23/page/South-Beyond-6000

http://tehcc.org/hiking/challenges/south-beyond-6000/ and load those ankle weights up in your pack for your day hiking.nice site too!

Llama Legs
07-23-2012, 14:40
To me, the worst part of being a section hiker is NOT being able to ramp up your conditioning on the trail. To have a fighting chance, I packhaul 3-5 times a week for 30 days prior with an extra 10 pounds over my anticipated trail weight. I also start using trekking poles two weeks prior. And every time, after two weeks of conditioning on the real trail I'm raring to go farther, but life has me shackled...

hikerboy57
07-23-2012, 14:53
wrist weights.between these and chrome, you'll be unstoppable!
i think KK is jealous of airconditioning.

Spokes
07-23-2012, 14:55
I tried a different training routine for my summer trip to the whites in NH this year. Aside from regular walking miles I got a 35 lb weight vest and wore it when I used the stairmaster at the gym. The result was I didn't fatigue as quickly on the ups as I normally would.

1+ on the weight vest.

hikerboy57
07-23-2012, 14:58
i agree. rather than put all the weight below your legs, put it above. below your knees will create a whole different set of stresses, and doesnt simulate backpacking at all.

JAK
07-23-2012, 15:05
I'm currently wearing a 40 pound sub-cutaneous weight suit 24/7.
Not for everyone.

Hairbear
07-23-2012, 16:45
wearing weight on the ankles will have the same effect on your knees as galleger had on watermellons with his big wooden mallet.take your shoes off and walk in sand that will strengthen your ankles and backs of the legs.

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 18:18
Not for everyone.Holy Cow, Is that what the human outer skin weighs, I had no idea, makes sense, my head weighs about 25 lb. but my brain is only about 12lb, of that?

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 18:20
wearing weight on the ankles will have the same effect on your knees as galleger had on watermellons with his big wooden mallet.take your shoes off and walk in sand that will strengthen your ankles and backs of the legs.That's probably why I've have bad knees these days, we use to run the steps at practice with ankle weights on......

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 18:38
To me, the worst part of being a section hiker is NOT being able to ramp up your conditioning on the trail. To have a fighting chance, I packhaul 3-5 times a week for 30 days prior with an extra 10 pounds over my anticipated trail weight. I also start using trekking poles two weeks prior. And every time, after two weeks of conditioning on the real trail I'm raring to go farther, but life has me shackled...Yes, life sure can be a Hindrance.:rolleyes::)

wrist weights.between these and chrome, you'll be unstoppable!
i think KK is jealous of airconditioning.Cool, I can get some out of the wife's jewelry box, but they may not be heavy enough....Au gimme back my gold :eek: I got Busted, but the hand cuff's ain't to light either.;)

1+ on the weight vest.Yeah I'd never heard of this before, maybe I could modify my fishing vest.......too Suit :D

I tried a different training routine for my summer trip to the whites in NH this year. Aside from regular walking miles I got a 35 lb weight vest and wore it when I used the stairmaster at the gym. The result was I didn't fatigue as quickly on the ups as I normally would.Thanks, great idea, why am I not surprised...with a name like "House of Pain" :eek:

JAK
07-23-2012, 18:43
Not for everyone.

Holy Cow, Is that what the human outer skin weighs, I had no idea, makes sense, my head weighs about 25 lb. but my brain is only about 12lb, of that?I was refering to my excess fat, and yeah, about 40 pounds, but it fluctuates. :-)

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 18:45
I was refering to my excess fat, and yeah, about 40 pounds, but it fluctuates. :-)No, of coarse not, didn't mean to imply....:o:)

Connie
07-24-2012, 03:49
40 pound sub-cutaneous weight suit
I am soooo... glad you said that.

I am reminded of the weight-shaving measures for expensive bicycles.

That is what I think of when I see XSUL. I can't help it. I see the gut.

Waist-slimming exercizes would be more helpful. Really: core-strength is "a good thing".

Maddog
07-24-2012, 06:48
I just finished building a harness like the old Cigars/Cigarettes tray, so I don't have to miss a post...might even start selling them, even got a secret compartment for a knife/gun underneath, with a built-in water filter that also coolsand cleans my watertube filled glasses at and around the forehead area. Not sure what to call it?
LMAO!!! Maddog:)

fredmugs
07-24-2012, 08:55
To me, the worst part of being a section hiker is NOT being able to ramp up your conditioning on the trail. To have a fighting chance, I packhaul 3-5 times a week for 30 days prior with an extra 10 pounds over my anticipated trail weight. I also start using trekking poles two weeks prior. And every time, after two weeks of conditioning on the real trail I'm raring to go farther, but life has me shackled...

Before my section hikes I do no hiking at all. I do intense 60 minute workouts on an exercise bike. My knees are stronger than ever and I have no problems knocking out 20 mile days on Day 1.

Dawg
08-07-2012, 11:10
I have used ankle weights for mountaineering training in order to simulate the combined weight of heavy boots and crampons. I found them very helpful for that specific purpose, but I think the risk of knee injury would outweigh any benefit for general hiking preparation.

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 11:17
I have used ankle weights for mountaineering training in order to simulate the combined weight of heavy boots and crampons. I found them very helpful for that specific purpose, but I think the risk of knee injury would outweigh any benefit for general hiking preparation.Yes, it seems as though using ankle weights is an old mode of strengthening the lowers.

Mountaintop
08-08-2012, 15:02
Is the old mode of ankle weights good for building muscles or is the risk of injury just to great and more harm can come from doing so, if so, what could you do to build those muscles that the ankle weights would stimulate?
Ankle weights in the water will do wonders without all of the hard stresses on your joints that using them on dry land can produce.

rocketsocks
08-08-2012, 16:09
Ankle weights in the water will do wonders without all of the hard stresses on your joints that using them on dry land can produce.Now there's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that....thanks for that idea, good one.

Prine
08-16-2012, 14:24
I think a few of said it already. Ankle weights are bad for your joints

Use a weighted Vest, then sprint stairs. Start with like 15 second sprints, with 2min rest. Then move on to 30 second sprints, 2min rest. 45 sec, 2min rest....

Brumo
08-24-2012, 07:15
I would just do regular exercise, perhaps with weights, but not constantly keep weight on.

OzJacko
08-24-2012, 07:22
I think the weights would be a great help.
Turn computer off, place weights on on/off switch and go for a walk.:D