PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 7 day hike on the AT in PA?

Karmi Oxman
07-23-2012, 01:16
We're from Philadelphia, and we want to do a 7 day hike through PA on the AT. We have no idea where to start/end it. We were thinking 50-60 miles, depending on difficulty. Tips for where to find maps and where there is water along the way would be helpful as well. Thanks!

rocketsocks
07-23-2012, 05:27
:welcometo White Blaze, there is an AT guide book and map set available from most outfitters, in Phila. check out REI, or EMS. Also check out the Home Page here, tons of good reading. Happy Trails!

Don H
07-23-2012, 08:12
For your first time do a section in southern PA. The north gets pretty rocky. PenMar to Boiling Springs is a nice hike.

Don H
07-23-2012, 08:13
Pick up a copy of "The AT Guide", it has all the info you need.

MBaker
07-25-2012, 11:46
Pennsylvania has terrible rocks. Of any five day hikes, PA would be at the bottom of my list. That being said, the area near Del. Water Gap into NJ is great. Buy the AT Guide (http://www.theatguide.com/). It's written by a guy named AWOL. This book will have all the info you need. I would stay away from buying maps, you don't need them. The trail is very easy to follow in that area, one white blaze after another.

RED-DOG
07-25-2012, 12:58
Hi you got some really nice choices, hike from Duncannan PA to port-clinton PA this is a nice 7 day hike or you could go to the Highway/US 16 Road AT Crossing and hike to boiling springs theres Caldona State Park and some really nice Farm lands. but north of port clinton is super rocky with some really strenous climbs like going up Leigh Gap. which ever you choose go have fun and enjoy. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ):jump

RED-DOG
07-25-2012, 14:15
get an AT Companinon its got all the info you will need, as water sources, but right know i would have to quess that its getting dry. and places to get on and off the trail. ENJOY. RED-DOG

Disco
07-25-2012, 17:03
I've hiked all but 11 miles of the AT from Pen-Mar (near Mason-Dixon line) to Pilger Ruh Stream (near PA501). This is still before you reach Port Clinton. Based on comments of other posts, anywhere along this 130 mile stretch of south-central PA AT would be good, especially for beginners. Take time to visit the scenic vistas along the way, like Chimney Rocks, Pole Steeple, Hawk Rock. If you decide to cover the 11 miles from PA325 (Clarks Valley Road) to Rausch Gap Shelter, let me know, I'll join you! Check out the blog of PJWetzel (www.pjwetzel.com) from Sunday, Apr 15 through Tuesday, May 8 when he was in PA. [PJ is DOUBLE-THRU-HIKING the entire AT this year by doing all IN-OUT DAY HIKES! This means he hikes everything both ways, and doesn't stay at shelters on the trail. He started on New Years day, hiked from VA south to Springer Mt, then started north from Caledonia St. Park, here in PA. He'll finish the middle section after summiting Baxter Peak on Mt. Katahdin.] His comments about PA will be worth your reading. Have fun!