PDA

View Full Version : New partner who's new to hiking, how do I best accommodate her?

DogPaw
07-23-2012, 14:04
My friend has taken interest in hiking and is accompanying me on a three day hike on the Marjorie-Harris Cross-Florida Greenway. She's very new to hiking, and while her tenacity is admirable, she's still pretty new to this kind of thing, and our daily hikes in the woods behind our houses tend to tire her out a bit still, whereas I can run the entirety of the trail back there barefoot and be home in a half hour without a sweat. I'm used to moving alone and have done Marjorie-Harris before on my own (barefoot and without supplies, no less. I was desperate to get through it at the time) and finished the section I was on in a day. I'm not impatient and want to make this as enjoyable as possible for her, but I'm not sure how to accommodate a lady, or any partner for that matter, and still make good time. She's definitely coming and I'm no longer a tenderfoot at this, but I'd still like your input. Is there anything I'm going to need to bring for her? How should I equip her (she has to use some of my equipment), how much weight do you think I can expect her to carry, do I need to bring tampons for her or other toiletries, etc.

Our general physicals if it helps at all or if anyone wants to meet us there;

Dogpaw

5'4 Male
130 pounds
Athletic, strong legs and back but weak arms
Low appetite
Have hiked multiple trails, longest was four days with a scout troop.
Brune, Hazel Eyes, pale skin, extraordinarily thin.
Katelyn

5'3 Female
140 pounds
Not athletic, but fairly strong
Moderate appetite
Has done day hikes with me, never been out longer than a day.
Brunette, Green Eyes, average Caucasian tone, broader in build than me.

Terribly sorry if the post didn't make much sense, I'm getting over what appears to be pneumonia and I'm not especially lucid when sick.

kayak karl
07-23-2012, 14:10
i wouldn't start with a three day hike.

atmilkman
07-23-2012, 14:16
i wouldn't start with a three day hike.
Totally agree with this. I'd try just an overnighter and limit her to 15lbs max if possible.

WingedMonkey
07-23-2012, 14:23
What part of the Cross-Florida Greenway are you planning on doing? There are limited places to camp that are nice for a beginner to rest over night before another days hike.

I'd try and plan the hike around the best overnight spots.

brotheral
07-23-2012, 14:38
Totally agree with this. I'd try just an overnighter and limit her to 15lbs max if possible.
I agree.... & Forget about making "good time".. Enjoy each other's company.

DogPaw
07-23-2012, 15:06
We're starting from 49th Avenue through Landbridge and up the seven mile span. As for the weight suggestions, thanks, that would probably be best. Now I just need to figure out sleeping arrangements and a good embarking time.

The Old Boot
07-23-2012, 15:27
I'm not impatient and want to make this as enjoyable as possible for her, but I'm not sure how to accommodate a lady, or any partner for that matter, and still make good time.

The two are incompatible - accommodating a newbie and making good time that is...lol.

I really, really wouldn't start with a 3 day hike. Not even if there was good bail out points every half day!!

Start with day hikes to some places that are interesting, a loop is always better than an in and out.

After a couple of full day hikes, do a simple overnighter.

If, as you say in your OP, she's tired doing what you can run in a half hour, then she's either in really bad shape or you're pushing too fast. Next time you hike, put her in the lead and make really sure you're not tripping on her heels. Let her set the pace - if you can't slow down to her hiking speed NOW, you two are in trouble in the long run. it really sounds like you're used to pushing out the miles - she's not!

As to equipment, make sure, first of all, that she has properly fitted footwear. There is absolutely nothing worse for a newbie to have to limp painfully back to the trailhead with blisters and sore feet.

Good luck, slow down, smell the roses and enjoy the time with her!

WingedMonkey
07-23-2012, 15:59
We're starting from 49th Avenue through Landbridge and up the seven mile span.

Check out Sandra Friend's site at:

http://www.floridahikes.com/florida-trail-cross-florida-greenway

Then click on the sections listed for more info.

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 10:08
Thanks for the advice, we're doing a practice day this weekend if weather and time permits.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 10:59
We're starting from 49th Avenue through Landbridge and up the seven mile span. As for the weight suggestions, thanks, that would probably be best. Now I just need to figure out sleeping arrangements and a good embarking time.
Interesting chioce of word, ("Embarking") Dogpaw. And I'd let your lady friend worry about her own Tampons, trust me on this, It's just easier that way, ;) maybe offer to carry the water, and some additional weight, but leave her hygiene to her, again it's easier that way.

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 11:08
Yeah, I'm a bit of a romanticist when it comes to language, and i'faith it's served me well in many a duel of the tongues and wit.