PDA

View Full Version : socks

Tonce
04-25-2005, 16:13
anyone had any experience with waterproof socks. gonna wear my chaco's on my thru and wandered if anyone has any specific brands they can tell me they may have had trouble with.

Todd

SGT Rock
04-25-2005, 17:20
I've tried Rockies and Seal Skinz. I prefer not to wear them unless I have to. Seems to make my skin clammy even though they don't get soaked. They also seem to keep my feet cold. The only difference I have noticed in the two is the way they fit. Seal Skinz feel more like normal socks and Rockies feel like a bootie you wear.

MDSHiker
04-25-2005, 17:46
I wear Seal Skinz with my sandals when it's wet and approx. 45F or cooler. I've had good luck hiking long mileage with them. I don't have any experience with any other brands though...

Ridge
04-26-2005, 03:07
I got my hubby a pair of these socks at xmas, he had those things back and swapped in no time for his favorite, thorlo's light trekking sock(I think that's the right type of thorlo's. He has tried a lot of socks and he says that the thorlo's, worn with another brand liner..I can't think of the name, will outlast anything else he's tried by 3 times. This reminds me of a problem I have..since his AT thru-hike he never....I mean never washs his socks and taking a shower seems optional. He put on 30lbs after his hike from the habbit of eating everything and all he could, but had taken about half of that off before his current hike of the PCT. I know he'll drop the rest and then some if he completes it. And, I hope he'll stays more sober too. He has always told me he was a "drinker with a hiking problem". I don't find that comment funny. hikerwife