PDA

View Full Version : Great Barringon, MA question

redworm
07-24-2012, 10:17
Me and a buddy are starting a 6 day section hike on sat in great barrington, looking for any recommendations on a place to stay near GB on Friday night, every motel I have called is pretty darn expensive. are there any hostels in the area?

SCRUB HIKER
07-24-2012, 14:14
You might be SOL on this one. Best I could find last year about this time (on a weeknight) was $80 for three people at the Monument Mountain Motel. Charged us extra for the third guy but weren't willing to provide anything like an extra cot/towels for him until we pressured them. The grocery stores in town were the only places I've ever seen that charged a fee for cash-back on a debit card. Great Barrington is neat, but not an accommodating place for poor hikers.

My old guidebook lists a Christian retreat called East Mountain outside of town that puts hikers up for a $10 donation. Never went there, never heard about it either, but maybe some people on the forum have?

Snowleopard
07-24-2012, 14:55
Where are you starting your hike? Perhaps you can night hike in a ways and camp. Headlamps are cheaper than a motel.

There is a nice campground with showers on the NY side of the border at Taconic State Park, Copake Falls area
http://nysparks.com/parks/83/fees-rates.aspx Tac. st. park has nice cabins but they are not cheap and you need reservations.

I haven't stayed in a motel in that area in half a century :(

redworm
07-24-2012, 15:51
we are starting rite at the rt 7 crossing near Great Barrington

The Snowman
07-24-2012, 17:06
Tanglewood really bumps weekend rates up. you might have better luck Mo. to Wed, nights.

pafarmboy
07-24-2012, 17:11
Call Vanessa Breton 860-435-9577. She shuttles for $1 mile (roundtrip). She's a town away in Salisbury, but that might be the best option cause I know both she and Maria McCabe (860-435-0593) host hikers in their house ($35PP at Maria's, $40PP at Vanessa's according to the AT Guide).

Migrating Bird
07-24-2012, 19:11
Westchester New York, and you think our motel rates are high:). Just kidding, Monument Mountain Hotel is about the cheapest, this is high time in the Berkshires. Best bet is to either hike north from rt. 7 across the river and up a ways on East Mountain or if you are going to be dropped off, hike south off of Lake Buel Rd. to Tom L. Shelter. You could also get dropped off in Mt. Washington on East St. and hike in 1mi to Sages Ravine (easy in the dark, level until the downhill to the brook and not much of a down) or maybe camp at the AMC cabin 1/4 mi off East St. Don't know if you are headed north or south. I am going to be away this weekend so I'm not much help. FYI Snowlepard was spot on about Taconic State Park. I stayed there last Nov. ($21.00 as I recall) when hiking the South Taconic Trail - well maintained and really nice campground. You could hike south on the STT and cut over to the AT via Mt. Frissel and then Sages Ravine.

Good Luck, have a great hike. We finally got some much needed rain the last couple of days.

Lyle
07-24-2012, 19:36
I can heartily recommend Maria. Great lady.

Driver8
07-25-2012, 01:30
I can heartily recommend Maria. Great lady.

Yes, Maria McCabe in Salisbury. We're getting to the thin end of the thru-hiker bubble in CT, so she's likelier to have room than a few weeks ago.