PDA

View Full Version : ANY WESTERN MOUNTAINEERING OWNERS > Which size: 6' or 6' 6" ??

brotheral
07-24-2012, 11:43
Well, I'm about ready to buy one of these amazing Sleeping bags. I've decided on the Megalite as it's wider in the shoulders and hips.
I'm 5'11" and my ​weight fluctuates between 190 lb & 205 lb depending on my level of activity and appetite :eek: LOL ...
I'm hearing that these bags are true to size & roomy. I like extra wiggle room. Will the 6 ft length be okay or should I go with the longer
6' 6" bag ??
Thanks... BrotherAL

coach lou
07-24-2012, 11:47
Well, I'm about ready to buy one of these amazing bags. I've decided on the Megalite. I'm 5'11" and my ​weight fluctuates between 190 lb & 205 lb depending on my level of activity and appetite :eek: LOL ...
I'm hearing that these bags are true to size & roomy. I like extra wiggle room. Will the 6 ft be okay or should I go with the longer 6' 6" bag ??
Thanks... BrotherAL

I am 5'7" and I have a 6' Puma....get the wider one, mine is alittle snug in the shoulders.

brotheral
07-24-2012, 12:17
I am 5'7" and I have a 6' Puma....get the wider one, mine is alittle snug in the shoulders.
The Megalite is a "Wide Shouldered Bag" (64" at shoulders). I'm asking about the length.
Thanks for your reply...

Berserker
07-24-2012, 12:28
Well, I don't know if this will help or not, but I am almost exactly 6" taller than you (6'-5") and I have the long (6'-6") version in my two bags (Caribou and Versalite). They are both the perfect length for me, so based on that I'd guess the 6' one would work for you. Best thing would be to get in one if you have a place near you that carries them.

Berserker
07-24-2012, 12:31
Well, I don't know if this will help or not, but I am almost exactly 6" taller than you (6'-5") and I have the long (6'-6") version in my two bags (Caribou and Versalite). They are both the perfect length for me, so based on that I'd guess the 6' one would work for you. Best thing would be to get in one if you have a place near you that carries them.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am a side sleeper, so length is not critical for me (i.e. I often lay in the fetal position as opposed to laying stretched out flat on my back).

Brer Sam
07-24-2012, 12:44
I am 6.0 and my Alpinelite is way too long at 6.6.

brotheral
07-24-2012, 13:01
If I get into colder temps I like to cinch the bag over my head... I'm over 100 mile from an outfitter that carries them. I know I should get into one...

Whack-a-mole
07-24-2012, 13:20
Don't forget to account if you store stuff at the bottom of your bag at night.

Captain Blue
07-24-2012, 13:38
I am 5' 11 and have the 6' 6" WM Megalite. My advice is to get the longer one. You have room to get down inside it during colder weather. Very handy.

Zippy Morocco
07-24-2012, 13:42
I'm 5'10" and the 6' fits great.

brotheral
07-24-2012, 14:12
I am 5' 11 and have the 6' 6" WM Megalite. My advice is to get the longer one. You have room to get down inside it during colder weather. Very handy.
That's what I've been wanting to know. Thank you !!!

Razorback
07-24-2012, 14:22
I use the WM UltraLite 6'0" bag, and at 6'0" 175 lbs the fit is snug, but the length and width are adequate and comfortable for me ( I am also a side sleeper). The snugger fit results in better insulation, but little room for clothing or anything else in the bag. If in doubt, go with the longer bag, as it weighs only one ounce more than the 6'0" version.

brotheral
07-24-2012, 14:26
I'm 5'10" and the 6' fits great.
Is it long enough to pull over your head lying on your back ??

Zippy Morocco
07-24-2012, 14:52
It is definitely long enough. Most of my hiking here in Montana finds me tucked in tight. If you have doubt be sure to order from someone with a good return policy.

mountain squid
07-24-2012, 15:24
I'm 6' and have no problems with a 6' WM bag. The bag I have is a Pod 30, which I don't think they make anymore.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Class of 2013 Spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2013thruhikers)

Berserker
07-24-2012, 15:42
If I get into colder temps I like to cinch the bag over my head... I'm over 100 mile from an outfitter that carries them. I know I should get into one...
Ahh, I guess my response was a bit vague. I also always use the hood in cold temperatures. My 6'-6" bags fit my 6'-5" frame perfectly when I am lying on my back with the hood cinched up over my head to where I have a small hole to breathe out of. So I'm guessing you'd probably be fine with the 6' one.

brotheral
07-24-2012, 19:01
Thanks for the feedback everyone... Guess I better try both. I'll be going through Gatlinburg in a few weeks. Pretty sure the outfitter there stocks them....

brotheral
07-25-2012, 13:38
Had a chance to buy a "New" Megalite Regular (6') on Ebay yesterday for 329.00 with free shipping. It's gone now.. Oh Well...

scree
07-25-2012, 16:01
At 5'11 I'd get the longer version - I have a WM Alder 25 in long, and I'm about your height. The regular length is a little too short for me to burrow all the way in, and most definitely too short for me to put non-freezy stuff in the toe box.

Franco
07-25-2012, 19:54
At 5' 8" my WM bags are the 6' version.
I find having a bit extra helps me using my pillow inside the bag (it is a thin stuff sack with a soft layer inside. A fleece or a puffy jacket..) also gives me some wiggle room because in winter I wear puffy clothing inside my summer bag (Summerlite) .
That allows me to go from camp to bed without taking my clothes off and comes handy when I need to pee.
Last w/e the temp dropped down to between -4 and -6c (24/21f) so I shoved my down vest into the foot box and had my feet inside that.. (nice)
Franco

Hairbear
07-25-2012, 20:05
im your size.i went with the long gives me room to warm clothes in the bag in the foot end.it also gives room for my water bottle in cold weather

brotheral
07-25-2012, 20:19
Yes, I think long is the way I'll go... Thanks :D

Papa D
07-25-2012, 21:10
I have 2 WM bags - mine are both 6' - since I'm 5'8, that's plenty. As an aside, I also use a women't thermarest - - why carry the extra bulk? Besides, I like pink.

cutman11
07-25-2012, 22:56
I am exactly your ht and wt, and also a side sleeper. I have the long version. I also would consider which side to zip. I am right handed but tend to sleep on left size, so got zip on the left, easier to open facing it than having it behind you if you sleep on L side. The previous post about extra room in the foot box is also good. I put a bag of clothes inside the head area and use as a pillow inside the bag as there is enough room to slide further down into the 6'6 bag. Also sometimes put some clothes I plan to wear the next morning in the foot of the bag--they stay warm. Nice to have warm dry clothes on in the am.

Franco
07-25-2012, 23:09
2x WM 6' bags, 5'8" , a pink Thermarest... maybe I am Papa D ?
So how come I am 57 ?
Franco

QiWiz
07-26-2012, 18:15
Well, I'm about ready to buy one of these amazing Sleeping bags. I've decided on the Megalite as it's wider in the shoulders and hips.
I'm 5'11" and my ​weight fluctuates between 190 lb & 205 lb depending on my level of activity and appetite :eek: LOL ...
I'm hearing that these bags are true to size & roomy. I like extra wiggle room. Will the 6 ft length be okay or should I go with the longer
6' 6" bag ??
Thanks... BrotherAL

I'm 5' 10.5" and do fine with the 6' length. I never store boots inside my bag in winter though. If you like to do this, I would get the 6' 6" version. Just my opinion. If you call WM or contact customer service, they will be able to help as well. I'll mention that their "oversize" bags like the MegaLite and Badger give you lots of room to wear additional layers inside without compressing loft, vastly extending the useable temperature range. I've had a MegaLite down to -5 F as an example of what I'm talking about.

colorado_rob
09-06-2012, 11:44
Old thread, maybe you already bought OP, but I own 5 WM bags of various temp ratings (two are my wife's). I'm 6'1" tall. One of my bags (a Puma -25) is the 6'6" length. All four of the others are 6' length. I use all of them, and find plenty of length to fully cinch the hood around my head and even have some toe room leftover.

brotheral
09-06-2012, 16:21
Old thread, maybe you already bought OP, but I own 5 WM bags of various temp ratings (two are my wife's). I'm 6'1" tall. One of my bags (a Puma -25) is the 6'6" length. All four of the others are 6' length. I use all of them, and find plenty of length to fully cinch the hood around my head and even have some toe room leftover.
Thanks for the feedback... No, I haven't bought one yet.. Guess I'm waiting for that "Incredible Deal" !!

Heald
09-06-2012, 17:43
Thanks for the feedback... No, I haven't bought one yet.. Guess I'm waiting for that "Incredible Deal" !!

These bags rarely go on sale. And by rarely I mean almost never. Until they start outsourcing these bags to China don't expect to find a Western Mountaineering bag sale that will save you more than 10%. The bag you mentioned I've owned since 02 (Mega-Lite). It's 10 years old, and has I'm guessing about 9,000 long distance miles on it . I've never washed it, never stored it properly, never babied it. I've beat the hell out of it. Still it preforms like the first day I used it. And aside from giving of the foulest stench you could ever imagine it works perfectly. I've slept comfortable in teen digits many nights without being cold. I sleep warm though. I'm 6'3" the bag is a 6'6". The bag is worth the cost in my observation.

Here's an Apache bag for sale with less than 10 nights for even less than a Mega

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Mountaineering-Apache-Down-bag-Left-Zip-Made-in-USA-Global-shipping-/190722817262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c67f73cee

coach lou
09-06-2012, 17:52
My Puma is 7 yrs. I do baby it though, for the money I paid for it. I also had to order it. The shop had a colder one [ Iforget its name] on display. I inspected its quality, construction and loft. I had to have one, whatever the cost. In the winter I can't zip it up it is so warm.

Franco
09-06-2012, 18:05
Not sure if this point has been mentioned already or not, but just in case...
A lot will depend on how you sleep.
If you often/always sleep on your back , your toes will point outward therefore you become longer than when you stand.
If you sleep curled up , then the opposite is true...
(same reason why in the same tents some 6'4" guys fit well and others push against the ends . Mat thickness in this case also makes the difference)
BTW, not that rare to find a new or near new WM bag for private sale , particularly at BackpackingLight.
That is how I bought one of mine, it was purchased with the "bonus points" by another hiker.
Franco

colorado_rob
09-06-2012, 18:08
My Puma is 7 yrs. I do baby it though, for the money I paid for it. I also had to order it. The shop had a colder one [ Iforget its name] on display. I inspected its quality, construction and loft. I had to have one, whatever the cost. In the winter I can't zip it up it is so warm. Funny, I bought my Puma in 2005 as well. Still in perfect shape after something like 60 frigid winter nights' worth of cozy comfort.

I got extremely lucky and snagged a 25% off on Moosejaw. Almost always, WM brand are excluded from such deals. Someone probably screwed up. Take a close look at the new Marmot Plasma 32. I have a 15 deg Plasma, and it's a fine bag, right up there with WM. You might be able to find these on sale.

Maddog
09-06-2012, 18:57
I'm 5'10 and I have the Versalite long version and it's perfect! Maddog:D

BradMT
09-07-2012, 07:37
I'm 5'10 and I have the Versalite long version and it's perfect! Maddog:D

I'm 5'10" and I have the Versalite regular version and it's perfect! BradMT:D

Viva la difference.

Maddog
09-07-2012, 07:45
I'm 5'10" and I have the Versalite regular version and it's perfect! BradMT:D

Viva la difference.