PDA

View Full Version : I have hiked Ft. Christmas to Suwanee R, west in the Ocala to Dunellon, S to Trilby

Poppa Yeti
07-24-2012, 16:31
I've hiked the Florida Trail from Ft. Christmas north through the Osceola NF then 40 miles down the Suwanee River. At the split in the Ocala NF I've gone west to Dunellon, then south to Trilby. Also Lake Okeechobee to Basinger. If anyone wants to talk about those portions, let me know!

Ladytrekker
07-24-2012, 16:56
One of my favorite sections of the FT is White Springs to Ellavile. I love the Suwannee River. How is the section from Christmas to ONF. I have hiked ONF but not to it from Christmas is it woods or is there road walking. I have also hiked ONF Juniper Wilderness and am going to hike the section from Hopkins Prairie to 88 store. Also how is the split from ONF Dunnellon to Trilby.

Poppa Yeti
07-25-2012, 18:30
Dear Lady Trekker:
Ocala NF south to Lake Mary is mostly woods, around Lake Norris and across that big Boyscout property. Once you get down close to Lake Mary it is urban hiking (paved for hikers, bicyclists, joggers, skaters).. probably an old rail bed. That takes you south-ish to the park where The Senator WAS... a little woods there then urban hiking. Through Oveido, then you enter the Little Big Econ state forest which is VERY NICE. You come out of that the next day near Chuluota; as of five years ago it was shoulder-of-the-road "trail connector" all the way to Ft. Xmas. In fact ALL of this is "as of five years ago."
If the water's up be prepared to wade and slosh Farles Prairie in the Ocala. The split in the Ocala to Dunellon is decent; all woods except the last 5,6 miles. Then it's semi-urban paved (some woods, some small towns) all the way to Trilby on the Withlacoochee State Trail (46 miles.) The small towns have small, cheap hotels... the only place to camp along the way is Silver Lake about 10-12 miles from the Trilby end. If you want to read about it let me know and I'll direct you to my "blog."
Hike On,
Keith