PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Amicalola Falls State Park

Gator 65
07-24-2012, 18:40
I booked a campsite there for 3 nights in Oct. to do the approach trail and a few loop trails. We will only be putting up small one man tents (2) and wonder if this is a quiet or loud campground. Also, are the campsite pads soft enough for tent stakes or they more for pop ups and RV's?

RED-DOG
07-24-2012, 19:14
Amicalola Falls State Park is a very Hiker friendly place the Campsites are nice and Quiet, most are Tent pads, but you can find alot of Tent sites just a little ways up the Approach trail with fire rings.

ATMountainTime
07-24-2012, 20:11
Its actually not a bad place to tents, unless theres a severe thunderstorms (IE tornados)....like during the AT seminar they had there. :)

bloodmountainman
07-24-2012, 21:49
I booked a campsite there for 3 nights in Oct. to do the approach trail and a few loop trails. We will only be putting up small one man tents (2) and wonder if this is a quiet or loud campground. Also, are the campsite pads soft enough for tent stakes or they more for pop ups and RV's?

October is festival season in North Ga. and the campground can fill up with tourists...(and thier kids and dogs) Burts Pumpkin Farm is just down the highway and draws big crowds in Oct. Dawsonville (closet town to AFSP) hosts the Moonshine festival and draws a crowd. Base camp the park , hike and camp in the woods for peace and quiet.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2012, 22:37

very quiet campground. tent friendly. eat at the lodge. great buffet

Gator 65
07-26-2012, 21:45
Thanks for the info. I tried to rent one of the "walk in" tent sites up the trail but they said it was "first come ,first serve". Like the idea about eating at the lodge. Much better tha Mountain House Meals

Johnny Thunder
07-26-2012, 21:52
showers at the campground?

Lone Wolf
07-26-2012, 21:54
showers at the campground?
yes there are.....

SawnieRobertson
07-27-2012, 18:17
Of course, LW is much tougher than I, but the "tent pads" are made of miserably sharp graveled areas. If you are sleeping on "the ground," it is a miserable place to try to sleep. Otherwise, it is a great place.