PDA

View Full Version : section hiking newfound gap to davenport gap

jduncan7998
07-25-2012, 04:00
Is there any other way of knowing if shelters on the AT are closed due to bear activity other than calling the NP office? I'm planning a section hike beginning October 8th from newfound gap to davenport gap. Since i will be starting at Newfound Gap, can i pick up my permit at Fontana Dam, because that is where i will be at on the 7th? Thanks.

rmitchell
07-25-2012, 08:32
Check their web site. Just google GSMNP (Great Smoky Mountain National Park). There is a link for "closed roads and faciliities" also a link for camping. As of yesterday no shelters or campsites were closed due to bear activity. There are some bear warnings. Things could change by October.

I day hiked from Fontana to Birch Springs (campsite 113) yesterday. The blackberries are ripe now so may be the bears are attracted to them now.

Some trails in the Cades Cove area and some campsites are closed due to storm damage.

You can call 30 days out to get your reservations and fill out you permit at Fontana Dam. There is a box at the visitor center at the dam. It is on the south side of the building near the showers and the soft drink machine.

MkBibble
07-25-2012, 12:50
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Have fun!

RED-DOG
07-25-2012, 13:00
Cosby Knob is probably closed but that should be it.

Astro
07-25-2012, 20:23
Cosby Knob is probably closed but that should be it.

I know it was closed earlier, but when I called a couple of weeks ago to make my reservations it was open.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2012, 21:31
1)You can call
2)You can go online
3)You can get there and find a sign saying its closed

If you have reservations and they close it and you experience #3, they probably re-routed you somewhere (sometimes miles away). If you dont have ability to #1 or #2 to find out, you are in a pickle. If confronted with that, Id probably continue to next shelter if possible, or stealth somewhere if could not make it.