PDA

View Full Version : How many pairs of socks do you carry?

The Kisco Kid
07-25-2012, 14:34
I've been trying to keep weight down and have gone to two pairs of socks, but am considering returning to three. How many pairs do you bring? Or maybe you have a really good drying technique to share..

Tim Causa
07-25-2012, 14:38
I do two pair. Going for a 8 day trip in August and 2 should be fine. I have one moreno wool pair and one smart wool pair and swap them every day, putting the wet socks in my packs side compression straps. Only reason I would only bring 3 pair is if I had an old, comfy pair that I refused to give up but knew they were close to failure.

Monkeywrench
07-25-2012, 14:43
I bring 3 pair. I rotate 2 pair on my feet while hiking and keep the 3rd pair clean and dry for around camp and sleeping.

Of the 2 pair I wear while hiking, I wash the pair I wore all day in the evening and let them dry hanging off the back of my pack the next day, assuming the weather cooperates.

rocketsocks
07-25-2012, 14:58
3......always at least three pairs, anywhere I go. Drying on a hot rock or boulder is always good, wring em out as dry as you can get, and then roll em up in a shame wow type thing or bandana, towel to remove excess moisture, then place on rock or in Sleeping bag, on a wet day, place them in your underwares or around your wiast they'll dry pretty quickly there.

gsimp18
07-25-2012, 15:00
2. One to sleep in and one to hike in.

Maddog
07-25-2012, 15:13
Two is enough. Maddog:)

Buffalo Skipper
07-25-2012, 15:29
I always have at least 2, but sometimes take 3. I will be doing a 6 day section in the early fall and am considering taking a 3rd pair to sleep in and to double as a backup. After I come off this trip, I hope to have a better idea of exactly how many I will often use/need.

coach lou
07-25-2012, 15:30
i bring 3 pair. I rotate 2 pair on my feet while hiking and keep the 3rd pair clean and dry for around camp and sleeping.

Of the 2 pair i wear while hiking, i wash the pair i wore all day in the evening and let them dry hanging off the back of my pack the next day, assuming the weather cooperates.
>>>>>>>>>>>ditto<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

10-K
07-25-2012, 15:32
I bring 3 pair. I rotate 2 pair on my feet while hiking and keep the 3rd pair clean and dry for around camp and sleeping.

Of the 2 pair I wear while hiking, I wash the pair I wore all day in the evening and let them dry hanging off the back of my pack the next day, assuming the weather cooperates.

Ditto #2.......

hikerboy57
07-25-2012, 15:33
3 pair...............

Drybones
07-25-2012, 15:41
>>>>>>>>>>>ditto<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ditto again...I believe I could have saved a multitude of blisters with a third pair of socks...lesson learned...the hard way.

coach lou
07-25-2012, 15:51
ditto again...I believe I could have saved a multitude of blisters with a third pair of socks...lesson learned...the hard way.

Looks like us old guys know all about not getting blisters!

Rasty
07-25-2012, 16:32
Two pair during summer. Three pair during colder times. I like to carry one heavier pair for camp when my feet get colder and two lighter pairs for hiking.

cabbagehead
07-25-2012, 16:39
3 (2 pairs wool, 1 pair synthetic) I use synthetic socks when it rains all day, and my feet are going to be wet with no chance of drying.

To accelerate drying (after wringing), layer the socks in some dry fleece, and press down. Hang both up. The fleece drys fast.

rusty bumper
07-25-2012, 17:02
3 pair. If I was hiking for 7 days to my next trail town where I'd be washing clothes, I'd wear 1 pair for 3 days (wet or dry), the second pair for the next 3 days (wet or dry), and I'd put on that final pair on the day I walked into town. That way pair #3 was always dry if I needed it for sleeping on a cold night. If the number of days to the next laundromat was more (or less), I'd adjust accordingly.

Ender
07-25-2012, 17:07

I use this exact same system.

Lando11
07-25-2012, 17:15
2 pairs is plenty. i see no reason for a third for the warmer months, just sleep barefoot. hell i think one pair is enough if you do laundry weekly. hear me out, if its raining on day 1stick with wet socks. day 2, if its raining or not the ground will be wet and your feet will get wet. so stick with the same socks. lets say it is dry on day 3, which means your socks had a chance to dry overnight and they are good to go. this meathod is AT. thru approved. i would usually throw on my 2nd pair when i would do laundry, so i would get about 7-10 days per sock. this may sound kinda filthy, but it works and i had no feet issues...

singing wind
07-25-2012, 18:59
3 pair...cuz da feet are one of the most important things to look after on the trail.
2 to switch out, alternating days - and 1 always dry for nighttime.
TLC for da feet makes for a much happier and contented hiker - lol :)!

atmilkman
07-25-2012, 19:10

Another ditto.

Papa D
07-25-2012, 20:04
I can go for a week on ONE pair - I just finished a little 170 mile hike last week and never brought out the spare pair - - did get rained on pretty good too - - one on your feet and one in your pack is PLENTY - - don't overpack. Here are a couple of other hints:

1) I wear women's short (running height) smartwools in black or grey until it gets really good and cold- - in the rain, there is less material to get wet
2) Buy dark colors - they absorb more heat laying out in the sun
3) When you want to change, wring out the wet pair really good and hang them on your pack with a safety pin
4) just deal with wet feet in the rain - it'll stop and everything dries out

FarmerChef
07-25-2012, 20:15
I also use 3. I walk in trail runners with no gaiters and as a result my socks get filthy. I hike in one then wash it in the evening before wearing the second pair the next day while the first dries. The third pair is for sleeping in so I don't get my bag dirty. I could probably get away with 2 but my socks are so light that I don't really worry about it.

Astro
07-25-2012, 20:16
Perhaps overkill but I go with 3 pairs of short smart wool/darn tough and also liners. I believe the liners help cut down on the chance of blisters (allowing the socks to rub together instead of my skin). All dark so they handle dirt better, but earlier comment about drying quicker in sun is probably also true.

Started out with thicker and higher socks, but now like weight and feel up light wool ankle socks better.

theinfamousj
07-25-2012, 22:21
Two pair during summer. Three pair during colder times. I like to carry one heavier pair for camp when my feet get colder and two lighter pairs for hiking.

I came here to post this, and am glad to see someone beat me to it. I don't sleep in socks during the summer, plus during the summer my washed pair dries pretty quickly. Not so during the winter.

The Snowman
07-26-2012, 18:40
in my pack I have one extra pair for hiking in and a heavy wool pair for sleeping in at night.

Lyle
07-26-2012, 20:09
two pair in warm weather, three pair in winter

Best way to dry them after rinsing - wring out, then wear them dry.

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2012, 20:10
#3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Feral Bill
07-26-2012, 23:42
Socks are about 2 ounces a pair. I can not fathom not taking a third pair for that trivial weight savings. One to save for a long downhill exit day, if nothing else.

Miner
07-27-2012, 00:04
I rotate socks everytime I take a break so I carry 2 pair for hiking and I keep 1 pair for sleeping only. Nothing feels so nice after a rainy day then having a dry pair of socks to wear to bed. For hiking, I use ankle socks (lighter, less material to dry), and use crew socks for sleeping.

ChinMusic
07-27-2012, 00:09
2 pair. But, I hardly ever sleep with socks on.

A1ien
07-27-2012, 15:11
Lieutenant Dan:
Look, it’s pretty basic here. You stick with me, you learn from the guys who been in country awhile, you’ll be right. There is one item of G.I. gear that can be the difference between a live grunt and a dead grunt. Socks, cushion, sole, O.D. green. Try and keep your feet dry when we’re out humpin’. I want you boys to remember to change your socks wherever we stop.

wookinpanub
07-27-2012, 15:24
2 pr of thin liners
2 pr of ragg wool wigwam's
1 pr ankle length polypro for sleeping, camp, and use as gloves if temps drop

Sidewinder
07-27-2012, 19:40
14 pairs of socks regardless of time of year or length of trip

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 21:05
3 pairs- highly recommend Darn Tuff

Vulture
07-31-2012, 00:25
I do three- but my feet are notoriously sweaty. Two pairs are always drying on my pack (or stashed, if it's wet) and I switch out socks at least once a day, about lunchtime.

leaftye
07-31-2012, 06:52
3-6. Depends on if I'm using a pair of low height trekking socks, two pairs of liner socks, moisture conditions, getting ready to retire a set of socks, etc. There's no cut and dry number.

shelb
07-31-2012, 10:13
Three..

I never thought of getting dark ones to dry faster....good idea.

Don H
07-31-2012, 10:15
This should have been a poll.
3 for me. Two for hiking and one just for sleeping in.

turtle fast
07-31-2012, 12:22
3 sets of socks, 2 sets of liners

Sandy of PA
07-31-2012, 17:59
4 pairs, on the AT it can take 2 days for washed socks to get dry hanging on the pack. With 4 pair I always start the day with CLEAN dry socks. Wash socks and undies at 1st water stop of the day in my zip lock washing machine with Dr. Bronners bar soap. Wring well and hang on pack to dry. Put pack in sun on rest stops.

brooklynkayak
08-03-2012, 22:00
I only wear liner(thin) socks. So I would carry 4 socks on a thru-hike. Two merino and two synthetic.

I may want to wear as many as three when it is cold and I have found that merino liners can wear out after a couple hundred miles depending.

Why only liner socks?
They dry faster and when layered reduce blisters.

Why merino socks?
They don't stink as bad when wet and always seem warmer when wet.