PDA

View Full Version : backpacks used on the AT

DavidNH
04-25-2005, 20:12
hello,

I am curious to know what backpack brands and models are AT long distance and thru hikers ACTUALLY using out there on the trail? Not what is recommended or getting best reviews but what is actually being used? What capacity pack (of large size) is mostly used by thru hikers? at what point is the pack to big? IE should ones pack be below 5000 cubic inches? below 4500 cubic inches? or does it depend?

Also.. can any one say what percentage of the hikers on the AT (the long distance ones not the weekenders) are carrying real heavy loads of 50 pound plus and what rough precentage are the ultra lighters?

I need to buy myself a new back pack because I am pretty well convinced that my current pack (a Lowe Alpine contour IV 5500 Cubic inch capacity weighing 6 pounds 14 oz empty is just too big and heavy). How ever I can't see getting buy with a 3000 cubic inch capacity either!!! I amthinking 4500-5000 cubic inches. Is that reasonable?

Honest feedback verymuch appeciated!

thanks,

David

orangebug
04-25-2005, 20:19
It depends on what you plan to carry.

Your pack may be very appropriate, if you carry a heavy load. There is a tendency to get a larger pack and for you to fill it to its capacity.

The best way to get a clue about your best pack is to go to a good outfitter with your gear, fill up a few packs and walk around the store for a few hours. Folks use a wide variety of packs successfully. You are really seeking advice that comes best from a very difficult day of shopping.

If the local outfitters don't want to work with you on this, you don't have good outfitters locally. Spend a Saturday on this task.

SGT Rock
04-25-2005, 20:37
Gearskin. I use it, a few others use them, and a couple of thru-hikers from 2004 sent me e-mails about using them for theirs.

Honestly. Figure out what you are going to carry and get the appropriate backpack for that load. It doesn't hurt to ask opinions, but the question is like asking what car people really use on the interstate.

Roland
04-25-2005, 20:46
hello,

I am curious to know what backpack brands and models are AT long distance and thru hikers ACTUALLY using out there on the trail? ~~~ David,

Rock's analogy is a good one. Your question is akin to "asking what car people really use on the interstate".

Go to the Articles section and look at the Backpack Comparison Chart. This is a listing of the packs Whiteblaze members reported using on their AT hikes. Included in the chart are basic specifications for each pack. It'll be a good starting point for you.

Good luck in your search.

Roland

Footslogger
04-25-2005, 21:06
Orangebug hit it right on the head. The process starts with the hikers deciding what they are going to carry. There is no magic brand or pack size.

That said ...I'll tell you that I carry the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (size medium) and my typical carrying weight with 4 - 5 days of food and my starting daily water supply is about 24 - 25 lbs.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Heater
04-26-2005, 01:06
Gearskin. I use it, a few others use them, and a couple of thru-hikers from 2004 sent me e-mails about using them for theirs.

Honestly. Figure out what you are going to carry and get the appropriate backpack for that load. It doesn't hurt to ask opinions, but the question is like asking what car people really use on the interstate.
Wow! those are cool. Thanks for the post, Rock! And thanks for the informative review on the other forum. I would have never Know about these if not for your posts. This is what I'll be using.

Very cool. :cool:

BTW.., did you ever get the lighter Silnylon version and if you did... how durable do you think it is? I will probablly get that version and the cover for it to avoid snags.

verber
04-26-2005, 01:15
I don't know of any credible study which surveyed packs used on the AT (or anyone of the long trails). There have been anecdotal reports about what are the common switch packs (e.g. people changing their pack while on the trail because they are happy with the pack they took.) Common switch packs seem to be Granite Gear Vapor Trail and the Osprey Aether 60. But what is most common doesn't really matter. The question is what is right for you?

As to what size? Depends on what you are taking. For me, 2400cu/in for 3-day weekend, and 3200cu/in for a week without resupply is just about perfect. Sounds like you want something bigger.

I would guess that there are a lot more ultralighter who finish than people carrying 50lbs... but that is just a guess. I would guess there are more mid-weight 30-50lb than ultralight or heavy-weight packers.

What backpack is most appropriate is really driven by what you are carrying, and what is comfortable for you. Personally, I like going reasonbly light weight (base weight 8-13lbs, full carry weight 15-30lbs), but you need to hike your own hike. My experience with packs is documents at

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html

--mark

MedicineMan
04-26-2005, 02:58
just a note to say that your page link listed above should be in the articles section here at WB, an excellent in a nutshell perspective on packs....

attroll
04-26-2005, 04:02
just a note to say that your page link listed above should be in the articles section here at WB, an excellent in a nutshell perspective on packs....
I agree with everything you just said MedicineMan. vbmenu_register("postmenu_102237", true);

Peaks
04-26-2005, 08:17
For someone who is downsizing from a 5500 ci pack, then a 4500 to 5000 ci backpack is a good place to start. Popular backpacks in this range include the Gregory Forester and Osprey Aether/Ariel. But there are several others.

So, take your gear to an outfitter that carries packs such as these, and try them out. If you live in Concord NH, then there is an EMS store and LL Bean outlet store. EMS has their 20% off sale this coming weekend.

northernhkr
04-28-2005, 17:20
Any pack by a trustworthy name (Kelty, Gregory) is a good choice. As for space, always go with just a little more than you think you need.. I've found that i'ts a lot better to have extra space than to have to cram everything in!
Also, check out Backpacker magazine's '2005 gear guide'... it's been my gear bible while planning my hike for next year. They have incredible comparison charts and great field-tested reviews.
If you don't know for sure what size you want, rent a pack at REI or someplace. Sometimes stores will apply the rental fee to a purchase of a similar product

chris
04-28-2005, 17:36
The most common packs that I saw last summer were:

ULA (http://www.ula-equipment.com), specifically the P2 model

Granite Gear (most popular)

Osprey

Gregory

However, there is a great diversity of gear on the AT. On the PCT, the gear is much more homogeneous and most of it comes from smaller companies focused on lightweight gear.

SGT Rock
04-28-2005, 18:56
Wow! those are cool. Thanks for the post, Rock! And thanks for the informative review on the other forum. I would have never Know about these if not for your posts. This is what I'll be using.

Very cool. :cool:

BTW.., did you ever get the lighter Silnylon version and if you did... how durable do you think it is? I will probablly get that version and the cover for it to avoid snags.
I got a sil-nylon version a few years back. I use it as my main pack for all things. I haven't seen any deterioration in it, although I did try adding a map pocket for the small of my back which the seams failed on the first try with it. I think the sil-nylon version is plenty tough enough for trail hiking, but I am not sure for off trail yet. It probably would although it would probably also get some pin pricks in the material. I still have the pack cloth version, but it is now my oldest son's pack and he loves it too - I'm sure I'll never get it back :sun

neo
04-29-2005, 06:34
i did the georgia section with a alice combat pack,it wieghd 60 lbs,pretty much of the last 1000 miles has been done with a golite gust or my equinox katahdin
my pack wieght usaully between 20 to 25 at maximum.:cool: neo

heavy packs suck:cool: neo

Nean
04-29-2005, 07:17
My favorite pack story: My ultra light friend and I switched packs leaving town one day. I don't think we walked a mile before I asked to switch back. Although his pack was 10 lbs lighter, my load carried MUCH easier. In other words, weight is not always the deciding factor.

Spirit Walker
04-29-2005, 09:40
A lot of AT hikers are new to backpacking and really don't have a clue as to which is the most comfortable/useful pack - they just go to an outdoor store and say, "I'm hiking for six months, what do I need?" And they are sold the biggest most durable pack in the store.

A lot of them end up either switching packs (if they have money) or going home or just enduring the weight. I know I would never recommend the packs I used on the AT. They got me there, but I sure wouldn't recommend them to anyone else. (Again, it's not the gear that gets you to Katahdin - it just makes life a little easier or more difficult along the way.)

You would do better asking, "you who have hiked long distances, which pack would you now recommend?" Most people would probably recommend equipment that is lighter than what they actually carried on the trail.

Scribe
04-29-2005, 10:38
When I went on the AT, I deliberately chose a lightweight internal-frame Kelty 4000 cu in version, to force me to throw out stuff I didn't need. I do have much larger packs for shorter trips - including a 6500 cu in monster - where weight/volume are not as important. My pack weight starting out on the AT was about 32 pounds (but I began in early March, and had cold weather clothing and sleeping bag). Not too bad, not too good.

jackiebolen
04-29-2005, 14:03
I know Go lite gets a lot of bad reviews BUT I really enjoyed the Go Lite Gust on my hike. Keep in mind that it may not be the most durable thing but for the $75.00 or whatever you spend what do you expect. All I know is that mine lasted 1500 miles and is still going strong with no visible signs of wear.

It was really comfortable for loads under 20 and okay for 20-25, over 25 is downright bad.

I have a feeling a lot of the bad reviews out there are from people carrying over 30 pounds in it.

Anyway...my recommendation. I was happy with my choice.

Nean
04-30-2005, 10:41
My girlfriend carries 20lbs in her purse! Seems like if you had less than 20 you could just carry your stuff in your pockets and save even more weight;)

"ME & U"
04-30-2005, 15:52
I used the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. We went ultra light. No bells or whistles but it did the job. Her name was "Lola". "ME"

Toolshed
05-01-2005, 12:59
Newspaper Sack, I just fling one of these bad boys over one shoulder and I am on my way. I figure delivery boys carry these things all day, so what do they know that I don't know???
If the load gets too heavy, I'll just flng out my coffee filters and toilet paper, (but never the Little Debbies or cream soda) :p