PDA

View Full Version : Which way?

RF_ace
07-25-2012, 16:02
Which would be a more rewarding, starting at clingmans dome and going south to fontana dam or fontana to clingmans?

kayak karl
07-25-2012, 16:11
end with the dome. dam the alternative.:)

Rasty
07-25-2012, 16:15
Which would be a more rewarding, starting at clingmans dome and going south to fontana dam or fontana to clingmans?

Really depends on your knees. Ten years ago going down hill most of the way would have been funner. Not so much now. Uphill for me hurts less which has it own reward.

BabySue
07-25-2012, 17:16
In hot weather I'd go down. In cold weather I'd go up.

Blissful
07-25-2012, 19:38
SOBO is easier

Papa D
07-25-2012, 19:44
SOBO is easier

I would agree from an aerobic and fitness standpoint but long downhills (and there would be a lot going south) do not make for necessarily easy hiking - - it just depends on what you like - - the hike isn't particularly hard either way, really - - if I were going to do that section, I'd probably pre-shuttle to Newfound Gap (US 441) and walk toward my car. I'd base it more on the shuttle than the terrain.

moytoy
07-25-2012, 19:49
I know you didn't ask for it but I'm going to make a suggestion. Start at Deep Creek and hike to CD on the Noland Divide Trail and then procede to Fontana. This makes a great hike and you get to experience climbing the highest peak in the Smokies and then hiking off of it.

RF_ace
07-27-2012, 23:26
I enjoy uphill more than downhill

Rain Man
07-28-2012, 09:32
Truly, however, only you can answer your own question. Not trying to sound trite. But "rewarding" for me and "rewarding" for you might be very different. "Hike Your Own Hike" isn't just a cliche.

I suspect EITHER direction would be rewarding. Maybe in different ways. (pun intended)

Have a great hike, whatever you decide!

Rain:sunMan