PDA

View Full Version : shoes

solestrutter
07-25-2012, 18:45
I am planning my first thru-hike. In this case it happens to be on North Country Scenic Trail(NCST). I am not sure how many shoes to prepare for. the trail is 4600 miles with a projected hike time of 6 months. As an avid trail runner i really enjoy barefoot style shoes, in particular the Merrel trail gloves. I am concerned with the durability of the shoe and was wondering if anyone had used these before long term. I would appreciate some insight into what lightweight trail running shoes people are using. I am planning on having a pack no heavier than 30 lbs. including all food and water.

Papa D
07-25-2012, 20:18
http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/LSP/LSP0148/GRE.jpg

This is my favorite shoe - - I can get about 700 miles plus out of a pair - - the NCST is long but it might not be as rocky and rough as say, the white mountains - - you might get by with 4 pairs.

FarmerChef
07-25-2012, 20:25
I have been using some NB 876s for about the last 500 miles or so including PA, NJ, southern VA and NY. The front "lip" where the sole connects to the upper began to separate almost immediately but ever since they've stayed put despite tons of brush and grass getting snagged in it. I've also speared one with a stick I just happened to step on wrong - went clean through the mesh on the side (but not my foot). Still, judging by their looks I'd say they've got another 150 or so left.

Like you, I try to keep my pack weight below 30 pounds but sometimes I've had to go over. So hopefully my experience is predictive of yours, at least with this pair of shoes. That said, they aren't minimalist trail runners which it seems you might be leaning toward. Perhaps others who use those for extended hiking can chime in.

solestrutter
07-30-2012, 22:13
Thank you very much for the insight on how many shoes I may need. I already rock NB and have had no problems. I had a similair issue wiht the side paneling wearing through and the toe quickly wearing through. I have over 1200 miles on the shoes including a marathon and the training leading up to it. Think I already found the shoe, just didn't realize i was standing on the answer....literally.

moytoy
07-31-2012, 05:00
solestrutter ....You have me confused! Which NB shoe did you get 1200 miles out of? I curently use 8XX NB shoes and only get about 600 miles and I don't run and most of those miles are in Fl. I'm on my second pair in less than 1 year.

leaftye
07-31-2012, 06:47
Shoes on a long hike are limited by the cushioning in the mid sole. It's not like short events that are over in a day or a week where you can put up with some pain and then go home to heal. That lifespan of the midsole isn't just limited by padding, but also by how it breaks down...it can get unstable, or have severely uneven padding in its worn state, but of which I've experienced.

The shoe companies say 300-500 for a standard EVA midsole, which is the vast majority of trail running shoes. The minimalist trail running shoe like Vibram 5's have an even shorter life. The shoe Papa D posted has a dual density EVA midsole and lasts longer, although I haven't seen anything posted by shoe companies and I haven't asked.

In any case, I'd plan for 300 miles per pair of shoes. That allows you to replace shoes as soon as your feet start to hurt. It'll also factor in poorly fitting shoes. I bet most shoes will last longer. Still, on average I'd plan for 300 miles per pair. As we say in the money threads, better to over budget and have money left over than to under budget and leave the trail early because you ran out of money.

Sandy of PA
07-31-2012, 18:16
I hiked over 100 miles in Merriell pace gloves not by choice. My main shoes were twisting my knees making downhills torture. The barefoot shoes chewed up my achilles tendons on both feet and the rock brusied my feet right through the soles. I had to pay a shuttle to get to an outfitter to buy shoes and take extra zeros to heal my feet. Wear real trail shoes.

House of Payne
07-31-2012, 18:30
From your initial post it looks like you will make some great time knocking out 4600 miles in 6 mos. I'll be lucky to do the AT thru in 5 mos at 2200 miles.
With regards to shoes, I have met many trail runners who are backpacking and insist on using what they workout in, trail runners. I can't see why you would want to switch.
As far as how many pairs to complete your 4600, only you would know how long your trail runners will last on the way you use them. From what i have read here typical AT thru hikers will use 3-4 pairs of shoes/boots to complete. Good luck!

solestrutter
08-01-2012, 23:20
moy toy- I use NB 572. They are still holding together, however after having done alot of research I figure that there useful life has expired about a month (400 miles) ago and could explain the knee/ankle problems I have been having. So I'm rethinking my shoe lifespan.

Sandy- Good call I have tested my Barefoot shoes on un-manicured trail and had similar results, def sticking to real shoes.

House of Payne- dig the name. Yes it is fast, but by going faster you can over more ground and make longer hikes cheaper(less food which already eats half my budget) no pun intended. Thanks for the insight. Wish you luck.

Slo-go'en
08-02-2012, 09:51
I belive the NCST involves a LOT of road walking. 50% or more? That wears out shoes pretty fast. Don't know how many your going to need, but it will be quite a few if you finish this walk.