PDA

View Full Version : Cooking rice with alchohol stove?

Phoenix7
04-25-2005, 21:27
IIRC you have to bring rice to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. How can you simmer with an alchohol stove? Or is there an alternate way?

Thanks,

Dave

hookshot
04-25-2005, 21:56
I know that Uncle Ben's makes something called minute rice. I don't know if it has the same nutritional value, but it tastes just as good as traditional rice and comes in several varieties. All you have to do is add 2 cups boiling water.

swamp dawg
04-25-2005, 22:15
I just let my rice soak for about 10 min. once I get to the shelter then I cook the rice. Let the rice sit for a few minutes after cooking to absorb all the water and you are good to go.
You just can't be in too much of a hurry, plan ahead.
Life is good on the trail.......Swamp Dawg

MedicineMan
04-25-2005, 22:45
minute rice is ok, but if you have other rices just boil the water, add the rice and let the alcohol stove go until out of fuel, then put the pot into a cozy and let it sit for 20 minutes, while its sitting you can set up your tent/hammock, filter/treat water, just down notes, socialize, etc....if you get a brasslite it has a simmering ring at the base of the alcohol stove....

Ridge
04-26-2005, 02:42
My hubby is currently, I hope, somewhere on the PCT and he is carrying his zip stove which will work off anything that will combust, even dried cowdung..he says..yuk. He can cook and boil all he wants, even has a homemade shower bag he fills with heated water. He has a small grill that fits the top for grilling chicken, burgers, and steak. He also carrys an extreme lightweight gerber saw for cutting large chunks of wood and for cutting firewood. Im thinking about getting him the lightweight titanium model for xmas. He has always complained about its 16oz wt. hikerwifeee

Phoenix7
04-26-2005, 13:04
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go the Minute-Rice route. I carry vitamin pills so a little loss in nutrition in food wouldn't be too bad.

Dave

Teatime
04-26-2005, 14:59
Try the Lipton/Knorr brand rice dinners. I have used these on the trail, though not with an alcohol stove. These are supposed to simmer as well. I have a Trangia Mini Alcohol Stove that I just got and haven't tried it out yet. It has a simmer ring. I'm sure Sgt. Rock or one of the other Alcohol stove gurus could probably give you lots of ideas.

TDale
04-26-2005, 15:28
The lipton/knorr dinners work fine "cooked" in a freezer bag. Repackage the meal in a freezer ziplock bag before you leave. Add the appropriate amount of boiling water, zip closed, mix well, put in cozy or wrap in a fleece for 20 minutes, eat.

Teatime
04-27-2005, 12:28
What a great idea. I will have to try this next time out.
The lipton/knorr dinners work fine "cooked" in a freezer bag. Repackage the meal in a freezer ziplock bag before you leave. Add the appropriate amount of boiling water, zip closed, mix well, put in cozy or wrap in a fleece for 20 minutes, eat.

bailcor
04-27-2005, 13:18
Go to www.antigravitygear.com and get yourself a "pot cozy". This baby will keep cooking long after you have removed the rice from the stove.

The Cheat
04-27-2005, 13:31
http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/index.htm

snarbles
04-27-2005, 14:00
I really like Lipton Sides. They are dehydrated rice mixes. Example: I get the Dirty Rice and add one of those foil packed shrimps which are sold next to tuna. Makes damn good trail jambalaya and cooks great with an alcohol stove.

Method: Mix all components, rice mix, shrimp, and water to pot. Then boil water using .75 oz of alcohol per 2 cups water with rice and mix. Then once fuel burns out, let the pot sit closed for about 5min and your done!

http://www.liptonfavorites.com/cajunSides.asp?product=dirty

http://www.chickenofthesea.com/product_line_detail.aspx?did=4800009107

minnesotasmith
04-27-2005, 16:08
Have a LOT of their vitamins lost by the precooking. Try to go with the noninstant stuff instead. Note that for oatmeal, the cook time difference is much less between the instant and regular versions than it is between the two types of rice, whether polished (white) or brown. One way to speed up the cook time for rice is to put it through a grain grinder at home.

SGT Rock
04-27-2005, 17:25
To cook real rice on an Ion stove (not this was done with sushi rice):

1. Put equal parts water and rice into a pot. I like to add stuff, so for the rice it is usually just 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water.

2. Set up the stove and fill it with 12ml of fuel.

3. Light stove, put pot on stove. It will take about 8 minutes to reach 208F which is boiling at about 5000' if I remember correctly. The stove will burn for another 4-5 minutes, so you get the same results as letting it cook in a stove for that long. Remember to stir occasionally.

4. Take the pot off the stove once the flame is out. Put the pot in a cozy for about 15 minutes. Do not remove the lid!

5. After 15 minutes pull the pot out of the cozy and strain off an left over water.

At this point you would cool the rice and then add a mixture of sugar and vinegar as it cools. But you may not want to do this if you aren't making sushi.

It takes about as long as cooking on a normal stove.

TakeABreak
04-27-2005, 18:46
Although I use a butane / propane canister stove, I did experiment with several types of stoves(to include the esbit stove), before my hike and actually started with a bottle gas and had to borrow an alcohol stove when once when bottle gas stove failed and switched to a primus alpine titanium.

With that said, I found that with and dehydrated item's and prepared for my meals, that the same principle in saving fuel, was always the same, a few just took a little longer to get to an initial boil.

I would put my water in the cook pot, bring it to a boil, insert my dinner (rice, the noodles (for macaroni & cheese) dehydrated vegetables, dehydrated sloppy joe mix or whatever), shutoff the stove. Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, start up the stove again, bring it back to a boil, shut it off. Let it sit for a little while longer and the food was cooked, rarely did I have to bring it to a boil a third time.

After everything is brought to a boil the first time it takes less time and fuel to bring it to a boil a second time.

While waiting for my dinner, I would take time to wash up a little, finish filter my water for the next day, setting up camp or getting my bed roll down in the shelter. That you can multi-task and when dinner is over, you can relax.