PDA

View Full Version : NW Connecticut July 28th

Trailrunner2
07-26-2012, 08:32
I'm planning a rigorous 7 mile day this Saturday. There is a beautiful loop over Bear Mountain and nearby peaks with tremendous views and some rock scrambling. The book says 5 hours, so it should be a good workout. We would join the AT for a small section but the AT misses most of the fun. If anyone would like to join, I'd welcome the company.

Monkeywrench
07-26-2012, 10:04
So I'm trying to guess which peaks your hike might encompass. I'm thinking maybe Bear, Round, Frissell, and perhaps even Brace? I think that might be more than 7 miles, and if I were hitting the latter 3 I'd probably not bother going east to include Bear. Hmm...

Trailrunner2
07-26-2012, 11:15
I have a book at home that suggested a route that passed over abrupt foothills surrounding Bean in CT. But here is a similar good loop I may do.

http://www.mountainsummits.com/pphikes/connecticut/bearpphike.htm

Trailrunner2
07-26-2012, 11:47
....and I meant "Bear", not bean. Multitasking at work.

Monkeywrench
07-26-2012, 12:51
I have a book at home that suggested a route that passed over abrupt foothills surrounding Bean in CT. But here is a similar good loop I may do.

http://www.mountainsummits.com/pphikes/connecticut/bearpphike.htm

That's a nice hike, but the only peak you will be on is Bear Mtn.

My recommendation would be to go up Undermountain Trail to Paradise Lane, then north on Paradise Lane so that you approach Bear Mtn from the north side. The north side of Bear is a steep rock climb and I think it's easier going up it than down it. From the summit of Bear the descent on the south side is an easy grade.

Once you're on the north side of Bear you could go north on the AT down into Sages Ravine, then backtrack to Bear Mtn. Sages Ravine is pretty cool, both literally and figuratively.

If the weather is good there will be a LOT of hikers in the area, especially at the summit of Bear and along the direct route of Undermountain to AT. It is a very popular hike.

Trailrunner2
07-26-2012, 16:46
Hey- forums are great! Thanks for the insight Monkeywrench. The book I refered to indeed recommended the approach from the North.

I see you're a hammock hanger. I picked up a bear burritto but havent slept in it yet. I have been experimenting with suspension systems far lighter than slap straps. Unfortunately I have snapped three different designs. My 400-test line seems to weaken substancially at the knots. I'll carry a new design with me to break on Saturday. For clarity, I'm substancially less than 400 lbs!

Driver8
07-26-2012, 22:58
If you want to add some fun, Trailrunner, do Undermtn to A.T., right at Riga Jxn, 0.2 to Bear Mtn Road, branch right off it to pass CT AMC's Northwest cabin and camp, continue past to Mt. Washington Road, follow that 100 yards north or so to red-blazed Mt. Frissell Trail, take that over Round to Frissell, past summit to CT high point, over to the Braces - great views of Harlem and Hudson Valleys, back track to north side of Bear on old northwest road (passed NW camp to left) to A.T., left to Sages Ravine if you want to take that in - it's beautiful, back up and over Bear the hard way (pretty awesome), down A.T. to Riga Jxn and left down Undermtn to car. Paradise Lane is a bit of a boring trail, i.m.o., except in the cold half of the year with the leaves down (great views of Bear) and in June with the mountain laurels blooming.

Up on Bear, to hit the true summit, go west 100 years on a path which departs in the pitch pine grove just north of the big rock pile monument. More great views north and west. Bear is a beautiful mountain, as are its neighbors. Great hiking out there and yes, one of CT's most popular hikes.

Trailrunner2
07-27-2012, 11:14
Driver8, I won't have time to "Go west 100 years"! :D But I will plan to check out Sages Ravine. I'll also look at your route on the map. I generally seek out the desolate trails, but you guys have warned me to expect traffic. Maybe the forecast of 60% thunderstorms will thin the crowd. This is my only day, so I'll be there. Thanks for the comments!

If you want to add some fun, Trailrunner, do Undermtn to A.T., right at Riga Jxn, 0.2 to Bear Mtn Road, branch right off it to pass CT AMC's Northwest cabin and camp, continue past to Mt. Washington Road, follow that 100 yards north or so to red-blazed Mt. Frissell Trail, take that over Round to Frissell, past summit to CT high point, over to the Braces - great views of Harlem and Hudson Valleys, back track to north side of Bear on old northwest road (passed NW camp to left) to A.T., left to Sages Ravine if you want to take that in - it's beautiful, back up and over Bear the hard way (pretty awesome), down A.T. to Riga Jxn and left down Undermtn to car. Paradise Lane is a bit of a boring trail, i.m.o., except in the cold half of the year with the leaves down (great views of Bear) and in June with the mountain laurels blooming.

Up on Bear, to hit the true summit, go west 100 years on a path which departs in the pitch pine grove just north of the big rock pile monument. More great views north and west. Bear is a beautiful mountain, as are its neighbors. Great hiking out there and yes, one of CT's most popular hikes.

Monkeywrench
07-27-2012, 11:19
Up on Bear, to hit the true summit, go west 100 years on a path which departs in the pitch pine grove just north of the big rock pile monument.

There used to be a trail that went west off the summit of Bear Mtn and ended at NW Cabin. I remember hiking it many years ago with a couple of friends of mine. I assume, but don't actually know, that it was abandoned long ago and no longer exists.

There also used to be a trail that went south from the tri-state marker; the Monument Trail?

Crap, am I getting old?!

Driver8
07-27-2012, 19:43
Trail Runner: If you want more desolate, do the Mt. Frissell Trail and South Taconic Trail to the Braces, as I described. Park at the state line on Mt. Washington Road/East Street. You can also hit Bear and Sages, without the sloggy climb up Undermtn Trail.

Driver8
07-27-2012, 19:45
There used to be a trail that went west off the summit of Bear Mtn and ended at NW Cabin. I remember hiking it many years ago with a couple of friends of mine. I assume, but don't actually know, that it was abandoned long ago and no longer exists.

There also used to be a trail that went south from the tri-state marker; the Monument Trail?

Crap, am I getting old?!

I think the Monument Trail is closed b/c on private land of the Riga Corporation. The Bee Line Trail from Bear summit to NW Cabin is still there and is used, but is not maintained. It shows up on the CT AMC's maps of the area. It is the trail which goes from the A.T. near the rock pile to the true summit.

Trailrunner2
07-28-2012, 19:01
Thanks for your inputs, it was a great day hike. The distant thunder and drizzling rain only let up for about 30 minutes.... and that is when the torrential downpour and electric storm hit close. I detoured to Sages Ravine during the worst of the lightning. It seemed smarter to head down than up. There are terrific swimming holes and a rather dangerous looking diving spot along the ravine. Once the worst of the lightening passed, I climbed Bear summit. The path is abrupt and it seems all 2300 verts come within a tenth of a mile. Pretty slippery when water is washing down the trail. But Ive got to say, it was a ball! No view today. Its a good half day hike, but I had hoped to do more. Next time I'll add the Mass peaks. Looking forward to Devils Path in Catskills next month. I hear its a surprisingly good climb.

Driver8
07-28-2012, 19:13
I thought of you today when I saw how early those t-storms were hitting out that way. Bad for you, but great for the forest out there, which has been bone dry. Probably now getting back to where it can recognize itself. My first time to Bear, up Undermtn to AT and back, Sept 2006, a friend of mine and I got caught up on the summit in a hail-thunder-torrent. Helluvan intro to the AT for me!