PDA

View Full Version : MA section hike itinerary question

redworm
07-26-2012, 09:07
Hey everyone, I will be leaving Saturday morning for a section hike with a buddy of mine as we start last year where we ended on our CT/MA section hike, at Rt 7 in great Barrington to the VT border at a leisurely pace. I have a map and an old guidebook and am having difficulty determining where we can resupply. Looks like the first town the trail goes through is Dalton, but how easily accessible is Lee from the trail? My question is how many days of food do I need to pack before first resupply based on this itinerary..

Saturday - US 7 to Mt Wilcox Lean 11.5 miles
Sunday - to Upper Goose Pond Cabin 15 miles
Monday - to Kay Wood Lean to 17 miles
Tuesday - 11-12 miles
Wednesday - 11-12 miles to Mt. Greylock
thursday out and back to VT border then to abck williamtown

thanks in advance

Migrating Bird
07-26-2012, 09:26
Hey everyone, I will be leaving Saturday morning for a section hike with a buddy of mine as we start last year where we ended on our CT/MA section hike, at Rt 7 in great Barrington to the VT border at a leisurely pace. I have a map and an old guidebook and am having difficulty determining where we can resupply. Looks like the first town the trail goes through is Dalton, but how easily accessible is Lee from the trail? My question is how many days of food do I need to pack before first resupply based on this itinerary..

Saturday - US 7 to Mt Wilcox Lean 11.5 miles
Sunday - to Upper Goose Pond Cabin 15 miles
Monday - to Kay Wood Lean to 17 miles
Tuesday - 11-12 miles
Wednesday - 11-12 miles to Mt. Greylock
thursday out and back to VT border then to abck williamtown

thanks in advance

Lee is an easy hitch into town, when you hit Rt 20. There is a new Big Y (large grocery store with deli) right on Rt 20 which has most everything. approx 3 mi A word of caution, Rt 20 is a high speed rd. 2 very serious accidents 1 mi from the AT in last month so hitch west near the large parking area.
Lee from Tyringham Rd. more difficult hitch but you end up at the Big Y.
Trail goes thru Dalton, L.P. Adams Lumber yard carries limited hiker supplies, fuel etc.
Cheshire has limited re-supply
Snacks and evening meal available on top of Mt. Greylock
Williamstown and North Adams.

WingedMonkey
07-26-2012, 09:50
The hitch/walk into the Price Chopper in Lee in about 5.5 miles. Doesn't seem worth it after just two days on the trail and a big pancake breakfast at the Cabin at Upper Goose.

WingedMonkey
07-26-2012, 09:54
Forgot the Big Y.

:sun

redworm
07-26-2012, 09:58
any idea how long the walk is from RT 20 to the BIG Y?