PDA

View Full Version : Cooking in paper? Energia pots fold like origami

Rain Man
07-26-2012, 09:17
Interested concept in disposable, paper cook pots.

Cooking in paper? Energia pots fold like origami (http://www.gizmag.com/paper-energia-cooking-pots/23391/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=27732dd90e-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email)

"No matter how thin and titanium-y you make a pot for camping, it's still going to take up some room in your backpack. The Energia Hexa Pot, on the other hand, folds flat. When pulled out of its packaging, it blossoms into a full-sized cooking pot.

"The Hexa Pot is aimed primarily at backpackers and other backcountry users looking to cut size and weight from their loads. It's also advertised as a way to save time on cleaning. Since it's disposable, you can just throw it away after using it (or pack it out if you're in the backcountry). ...

"Energia says that its pots are good for boiling/purifying water and cooking things like pasta, soup and chili. The small pot holds a liter (33.8 fl oz) and the large pot holds two liters (67.6 fl oz). ..."

Rain Man

moocow
07-26-2012, 11:11
this interests me and scares the heck out of me at the same time. is it even practical to use on anything other than a couple day trip?

Tom Murphy
07-26-2012, 12:04
this interests me and scares the heck out of me at the same time.

i think the same thing about many of the things I see on the internet, especiallly after midnight:banana

Mountain Mike
07-26-2012, 12:17
Hmmm, save room in your pack & weight so you can carry a can of food.

theinfamousj
07-26-2012, 12:22
Reminds me of the trick where you boil water in a paper cup. Just don't let the flame up the sides past the water level. I suppose this is just an over engineered paper cup, which is why they only recommend it for water or foods that are mostly water.

Slo-go'en
07-26-2012, 12:25
Interesting idea, but looks like a one shot deal. On a trip lasting more than a weekend or couple of nights, any weight and volume savings over a metal pot will be nill or non-existant.

Plus you end up with extra garbage - the "pot" and packaging to dispose of one way or another. I think I'll stick to my Ti pot, thank you. Anyway, my stove and kitchen accessories all fit into it, so it doesn't take up any extra space.

Mountain Mike
07-26-2012, 12:27
From the book "Roughing it Easy". I remember that. I did like cooking bacon & eggs in a paper bag.

theinfamousj
07-26-2012, 13:16
On the other hand, I could see the utility for something like this if you are taking someone out for their first overnight, they aren't committed to backpacking yet, and you don't have a spare pot to lend them nor a pot large enough to serve the two of you.

But really, who doesn't have a spare pot to lend?

Hikes in Rain
07-26-2012, 18:55
From the book "Roughing it Easy". I remember that. I did like cooking bacon & eggs in a paper bag.

Got my original copy. I remember the bacon flambe with very well cooked eggs when I tried it.

Sarcasm the elf
07-26-2012, 19:01
From the book "Roughing it Easy". I remember that. I did like cooking bacon & eggs in a paper bag.Bacon and eggs in a paper bag? You've got my attention, how do you do this?

Hikes in Rain
07-26-2012, 19:10
Bacon strips on the bottom of the bag, crack the eggs over them. Fold the top of the bag a couple of times, push a stick through the folds (kind of like the hobo bag on a stick). Hold the bag over a bed of coals. Grease from the bacon keeps the bag moist so it won't catch fire, and both eggs and bacon cook nicely....unless, as I did you let it get a little too close to the fire and everything goes up in flames! Takes a bit of finesse, but it really is doable.