PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking/Hiking Rentals

Majortrauma
07-26-2012, 11:40
Has anyone here done any research on a backpacking/hiking rental business? Seems that there migt be a fair amount of people who would like to try backpacking/hiking but who decide that buying even mid-grade equipment is not worth the risk of totally hating ity and beng stuck with it and therefore they never even try.
If they could rent it relatively cheap it might be worth it to them.
Downside would be the replacement cost of gear damaged beyond repair and trying to keep up even if you were 3 or so years behind newest "stuff".
Do you think there is a market for something like that?
Thanks

Ender
07-26-2012, 11:43
We have a couple places here in town that rent out hiking gear, including EMS.

Creek Dancer
07-26-2012, 11:46
As a part of a large outdoor gear business, renting backpacking equipment might be a good idea. I know REI does this. But I don't think there is a sizable market for a company solely in the business of renting backpacking/hiking equipment. I just don't think there are enough of us around to make this venture profitable.

theinfamousj
07-26-2012, 12:31
Every outfitter in my local area, chain or one-off, rents gear. In my area, at least, going into competition with them would be a guaranteed way to fail at my business, as they can rent gear for lower cost than would be needed due to having other income sources.

Also, there are sites such as BorrowMe (http://www.borrowme.com/) that will let you do it for free, or a very nominal fee.