PDA

View Full Version : Water supply in NC

silverfox
07-26-2012, 11:53
Will be doing a few days in NC within the next week probably around the Franklin area. Does anyone know about the availability of water in NC? Also if anyone has been hiking lately in that area what have the bugs and temps been like? Thanks:-)

mhurley
07-26-2012, 21:59
I hiked around Standing Indian two weeks ago. There was plenty of water. Bugs were out, but not really bothersome. Temperatures were very comfortable. It is a bit hotter now, but the elevation definitely helps.

BabySue
07-26-2012, 23:10
Can't speak for the Franklin area precisely, but east TN (Erwin, Nolichuckey, Roan, Hump, Dennis Cove, Watauga Lake) has had the wettest July on record.

silverfox
07-26-2012, 23:24
Great just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks so much:)

daddytwosticks
07-27-2012, 07:18
Going on a day hike tomorrow around Winding Stair area. Will post here and let you all know. :)

daddytwosticks
07-28-2012, 15:40
Back from my day hike from Rock Gap to Winding Stair and back. Water was flowing well on this section. The piped springs at Winding Stair and Rock Gap Shelter filled my 20 oz. bottle in a matter of seconds. Plus, I crossed two streams along this section that were flowing strongly. Bugs were not bad at all. No mosquitoes or ticks, but watch out for the annoying flies that buzz around your head! Ran into a large boar/pig with piglets! First time experience for me. They scared the crap out of me, but took off running through the woods. Had me spooked and looking over my shoulder the rest of my hike. It was about 60 degrees when I hit the trail before 8 AM. A beautiful summer day for a hike. Was back at the car shortly after noon before it started to get hot. Hope the info helps. Enjoy your hike. :)

silverfox
07-28-2012, 18:55
Thanks do much for the info. Sounds like the conditions are going to make for a great hike. Glad you had a good one:-)