PDA

View Full Version : Camping site

HeartFire
07-26-2012, 13:02
Is there somewhere to set up a tent. Etqeen jug end rd and the Tom Leonard lean to?

Thanks

Monkeywrench
07-26-2012, 16:55
Is there somewhere to set up a tent. Etqeen jug end rd and the Tom Leonard lean to?

Thanks

My memory is imperfect (just ask my wife!) but all I remember between Jug End Rd and Tom Leonard lean-to is a mosquito infested hell that I hiked through flat-out at top speed. I remember taking my only break at a road crossing to get away from the little buggers.

Maybe this summer they aren't so bad...

coach lou
07-26-2012, 17:10

Thanks

Once you get up on East mountain, there are many stealth sites, but it is really dry up there. The water is way down fron the shelter. The shelter does have a few good tent sites and the platform has a decent view. The water situation gets better on Wilcox Mtn. Very dry in that corner of Ct/ Mass

snick
07-28-2012, 11:28
That piece is mostly swamp, but there is a ridge a little east of Rte 41 that is fairl;y mosquito free, and there is June Mt near the Tom Leonard shelter. You might be able to find a good spot on one or the other. If you want to sleep to the drone of mosquitos, then most of the area would do. I just remembered that the area east of the Shay's Rebellion monument is rather nice, but much of it is cropland, but you might find a spot for a night.

Cosmo
07-30-2012, 17:56
Not to belabor the point, but in Mass you may camp only at designated sites. We have enough issues with townies, lets not add stealth camping to the mix. Yes, it's a bit of a schelp between Jug End and Tom Leonard, but half of it is flat. Frankly, the bugs and swampy water make tenting on that stretch undesirable in any case.

Cosmo

tiptoe
07-31-2012, 12:52
I recall that Jug End to Route 7 as a mosquito nightmare. From Route 7 onward, not so bad. I hammocked about 2 miles south of Tom Leonard, ran out of water because there was none at an expected spot (this was on my first section hike) and had to go without. It was not a pleasant experience in 90-degree heat.