PDA

View Full Version : hornets are mean

Veetack
07-26-2012, 20:29
Got stung by 2 this morning coming down Bluff Mtn. I guess I walked into a nest, either way my leg is absolutely killing me still.

moytoy
07-26-2012, 20:35
They don't like noise. Something as small as a walking stick hitting a rock sharply can set them off.

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2012, 20:35
sorry to hear that but as a pest professional - they were making you aware of them... I rarely get stung as my senses are keen to insects. Going forward - carry the Walmart sting kill in a pen, (camping area) as you are suffering right now, after a while your body will adjust and wont be so bad in the future.

johnnybgood
07-26-2012, 20:45
My buddy got stung on the leg by 4 hornets on our first day out hiking the AT two weeks ago. His stings were still visibly red three days later.
The nest was under deadfall, partially covered and flat,which didn't look much like anything . Nasty bad azz bees they are.

Mrs Baggins
07-26-2012, 20:47
We had a big football sized nest of them in a backyard tree. They were big, round, striped. The pest guy that came to get rid of it said that they were a particularly aggressive type that would come after people just for walking past the nest, even at a distance, if they were flying along that same path. Last year had what we thought were wasps nesting under the siding of the house. When 100's of them started pouring out (one big birthday!) I got a guy here to get rid of them. He said that though they were small like a wasp they were in fact another kind of hornet and also quite aggressive. I'm not interested in keeping them around for any reason whatsover, I don't care how "natural" they are.

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2012, 20:59
Hornets are under
wet spots love a dark area under a pile of wood.

Sarcasm the elf
07-26-2012, 21:34
Hornets are under
wet spots love a dark area under a pile of wood.

That was almost Haiku

I agree that hornets suck!

Double Wide
07-26-2012, 21:41
When I was a youngster we had a huge backyard with all kinds of fruit trees, and hornets loved to nest in the ground back there. One day I made the mistake of running over the nest with the lawnmower.

Got swarmed and stung over 30 times. Holy shiat that was a painful day. I figured after that I'd get bestowed with some sort of super-hero super powers, but alas, they were not radioactive or anything like that, so the closest thing to a superpower that I have is the ability to stick cans to my head...

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2012, 21:55
yea its a work in progress elf.

jwalton
07-26-2012, 23:10
I walk at home each night. Two miles in tonight and I got stung on my left calf by a big fat yellow bas&*%d. I'm soaking it in alcohol (from inside to outside)

Feral Bill
07-26-2012, 23:33
Long ago I sawed down a tree with a nest in it. The saw sat there going putt-putt forever after I fled in pain. I did not it, not one little bit. Retrieved the saw in the morning when it was cool and they were inactive.

Hairbear
07-27-2012, 00:26
heres a funny story for you.i have an employee that i have a grumpy old man relationship with.you always have to watch him we go back and forth alot .the stuff weve done has been pretty brutal.we were taking down a huge hollow maple one day,when i cut right through a bee hive with a chainsaw,a big one ,bees were all over me ,and of course he was cackling like a fool enjoying every bit of it.i did the only thing i could think of,i ran right to him and squated down as low as i could.it couldnt have worked better they started stinging the dung out of him and he ran taking a cloud of peeved off bees with him .i never got stung again ,but he was a quarter mile down the road cursing.he must have been talking about a trip to florida all i heard was something about the sun and the beach.

Hairbear
07-27-2012, 00:34
his payback for that was to take my carelessly left unlocked phone and wrote a text begging all to accept my choice of coming out of the closet and how id been gay for years and so on.i dont care if your gay or not ,but im not. my mom was not impressed when he sent it to all my contacts

Hairbear
07-27-2012, 00:40
Got stung by 2 this morning coming down Bluff Mtn. I guess I walked into a nest, either way my leg is absolutely killing me still.
put mud on it if your stung. as the mud dries it will pull the stinger

Supreme Being
07-27-2012, 00:50
put mud on it if your stung. as the mud dries it will pull the stinger

Right Hairbear. ZZZZZ Wasps do not lose their stingers. Bees lose their stingers.

jwalton
07-27-2012, 00:59
Hairbear, hilarious. A surveyor told me to carry a small vial of urine. If stung, rub some of your own urine on the site. He claimed it would take the pain away. Probably impossible to obtain a fresh urine sample after getting stung...

Of all of the stingers, yellow jackets bother me the most.

ATMountainTime
07-27-2012, 11:05

Must be a UGA Bulldog fan. GO JACKETS! :)

(shameless plug I know)

Whack-a-mole
07-27-2012, 11:42
A few years back we were nobo on the Noland Creek trail heading up towards clingmans dome. I was with another friend from UPS, and two of his friends that I had just met. The two in front were moving on pretty fast after a creek crossing, and they walked over a yellow jacket nest. Neither one of them even knew it as they walked past it, but we were 50yds behind them and walked smack into them. They were in my shirt, socks, shorts-everywhere. I was running screaming through the woods slapping myself and generally acting the fool cause I was getting stung about 12 places at all the same time. About that time I got pissed and started with the biggest cussing fits you've ever heard in the middle of the woods. Turns out that the new friends were preachers. Oops...

Drybones
07-27-2012, 14:08
I walk at home each night. Two miles in tonight and I got stung on my left calf by a big fat yellow bas&*%d. I'm soaking it in alcohol (from inside to outside)

Glad to see you understand the proper use of medication.

Drybones
07-27-2012, 14:12
A few years back we were nobo on the Noland Creek trail heading up towards clingmans dome. I was with another friend from UPS, and two of his friends that I had just met. The two in front were moving on pretty fast after a creek crossing, and they walked over a yellow jacket nest. Neither one of them even knew it as they walked past it, but we were 50yds behind them and walked smack into them. They were in my shirt, socks, shorts-everywhere. I was running screaming through the woods slapping myself and generally acting the fool cause I was getting stung about 12 places at all the same time. About that time I got pissed and started with the biggest cussing fits you've ever heard in the middle of the woods. Turns out that the new friends were preachers. Oops...

If the bees were in thier pants they'd probably be sayin things they'd regret also.
FYI...I hold the world record for the 100 yd dash carrying a running chain saw...damn honey bees!

Drybones
07-27-2012, 14:19
We had a big football sized nest of them in a backyard tree. They were big, round, striped. The pest guy that came to get rid of it said that they were a particularly aggressive type that would come after people just for walking past the nest, even at a distance, if they were flying along that same path. Last year had what we thought were wasps nesting under the siding of the house. When 100's of them started pouring out (one big birthday!) I got a guy here to get rid of them. He said that though they were small like a wasp they were in fact another kind of hornet and also quite aggressive. I'm not interested in keeping them around for any reason whatsover, I don't care how "natural" they are.

You guys should learn to have fun with the little critters, stur'um up, take a whiffle ball bat and use'um for batt'n practice. It's a lot of fun untill you get three strikes and your out. Water hose, fly swatters. tennis rackets all work well. In the end you normally are overcome by superior numbers and forced to retreat to fight another day.

Pioneer Spirit
07-27-2012, 14:19
In Ohio we have the Bald-faced hornet which builds those big paper nests on tree limbs. Hornets will head butt you as a warning before they sting.
Yellow jackets nest in logs and underground which skunks like to dig up. They are very agressive and may be confused with hornets.
Then there are paper wasps in barns and overhangs. Young bumblebees are very agressive and will nest in wierd places in your shed or storage areas.

Drybones
07-27-2012, 14:23
In Ohio we have the Bald-faced hornet which builds those big paper nests on tree limbs. Hornets will head butt you as a warning before they sting.
Yellow jackets nest in logs and underground which skunks like to dig up. They are very agressive and may be confused with hornets.
Then there are paper wasps in barns and overhangs. Young bumblebees are very agressive and will nest in wierd places in your shed or storage areas.

Yeah...my wife does that head butt thing to...pretty effective.

Drybones
07-27-2012, 14:30

There's a lake in north MS called the Duck Pond, about a 50 acre lake with brush growing in it. There are red wasp nests 12-16 inches in diameter built on the brush (I'm telling the truth), only place I've ever seen them anywhere near that size. While fishing with my dad when I was a kid, the wind blew the boat and placed my shoulder directly into one of them. Took .oo1 seconds to hit the water and swim underwater for 10 yards before surfacing. Had about a dozen stings about the head and shoulder region.

Mrs Baggins
07-27-2012, 15:15
You guys should learn to have fun with the little critters, stur'um up, take a whiffle ball bat and use'um for batt'n practice. It's a lot of fun untill you get three strikes and your out. Water hose, fly swatters. tennis rackets all work well. In the end you normally are overcome by superior numbers and forced to retreat to fight another day.

Nope. :) A few big cans of Raid Wasp and Hornet spray and dead dead dead dead dead. Dead. Very dead.

In South Carolina we had a type of hornet that only showed up in the mid-late summer. They'd burrow into the ground, throwing up little dirt hills where they'd tunnel in. On the advice of a pest control company we'd wait til late evening when they were down in their tunnels, then point a can of wasp and hornet spray down in and spray til the can was empty - then tamp down the ground tight over the hole. It took a few times to get all of the holes but it worked. Otherwise they'd hang out right around the door of our screen porch and come after us every time we tried to go outside. I had little kids and my kids were endangered by the vicious bastards. Every year they'd come back and every year we'd empty cans of spray in the holes until they stopped hanging around that year.

Drybones
07-27-2012, 16:43
Nope. :) A few big cans of Raid Wasp and Hornet spray and dead dead dead dead dead. Dead. Very dead.

In South Carolina we had a type of hornet that only showed up in the mid-late summer. They'd burrow into the ground, throwing up little dirt hills where they'd tunnel in. On the advice of a pest control company we'd wait til late evening when they were down in their tunnels, then point a can of wasp and hornet spray down in and spray til the can was empty - then tamp down the ground tight over the hole. It took a few times to get all of the holes but it worked. Otherwise they'd hang out right around the door of our screen porch and come after us every time we tried to go outside. I had little kids and my kids were endangered by the vicious bastards. Every year they'd come back and every year we'd empty cans of spray in the holes until they stopped hanging around that year.

My wife thought she'd use the old soil from a potted plant to fill in the hole in the front yard, guess what kind of hole it was, hee haw, can she move. Wasted a can of that hornet stuff then finally put the real kill on them...gas...best wasp killer you'll find.

Mrs Baggins
07-27-2012, 21:40
My wife thought she'd use the old soil from a potted plant to fill in the hole in the front yard, guess what kind of hole it was, hee haw, can she move. Wasted a can of that hornet stuff then finally put the real kill on them...gas...best wasp killer you'll find.

Whatever it takes.

jwalton
07-27-2012, 22:06
[QUOTE=ATMountainTime;1317408]Must be a UGA Bulldog fan.
Nope, been a GT fan since Billy Lothridge.

GO JACKETS! :)

rmitchell
07-27-2012, 22:35
I have been stung by both yellow jackets and hornets while hiking. Some hornets do nest in the ground. They seem to go for the calfs.

I carry benedryl and stingeze. Some say that tobacco applied to the sting will dull the pain. I have not had opportunity to try that.

+1 for gas to kill yellow jacket nests at home. Wait until dark when they are all in the next and inactive.

rocketsocks
07-28-2012, 04:50
I have been stung by both yellow jackets and hornets while hiking. Some hornets do nest in the ground. They seem to go for the calfs.

I carry benedryl and stingeze. Some say that tobacco applied to the sting will dull the pain. I have not had opportunity to try that.

+1 for gas to kill yellow jacket nests at home. Wait until dark when they are all in the next and inactive.Yes, any big nasty nest found around me homestead get a night time full frontal sortie, and as for ground nest...death from above, a big ole flat rock does wonders. I've tried tobacco, and tea leaves for Bee/Hornet stings, couldn't say either one worked well, also heard you chew on them a bit so as to mix with your saliva and form into cud, maybe the enzymes in the saliva has something to do with the breaking down of the venom, or protein...dun no, but the tobacco is an alkaloid, not sure about the tea leaves. Some of the old remedies, are pretty cool, and all they had, so if you get stung, tobacco cud, is better than nothing....I guess :)

Sidewinder
07-28-2012, 08:44

I couldn't agree more...gasoline down the hole works too, usually one application and they're done

Drybones
07-28-2012, 09:26
[QUOTE=ATMountainTime;1317408]Must be a UGA Bulldog fan.
Nope, been a GT fan since Billy Lothridge.

GO JACKETS! :)

Go wash your mouth out with Dr Bonners...go dawgs...and I dont mean GA dawgs...the real real, one and only dawg...MSU!

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2012, 09:48
Hairbear, hilarious. A surveyor told me to carry a small vial of urine. If stung, rub some of your own urine on the site. He claimed it would take the pain away. Probably impossible to obtain a fresh urine sample after getting stung...

Quite possibly the strangest post I have read in a while... So if you get stung all over your hiking partner gets to...Nevermind....cant get the image out of my head.

Honest I do not believe it.... I do know that urine is a cure for athletes foot at full strength. But not wasp stings. Still a very strange idea for us all to ponder.

Sarcasm the elf
07-28-2012, 12:14
Let's add wasps to the list of critters tht suck.

At the barn this morning, my dog came bolting back down the trail towards me, when I went to see what was wrong I found out that a ground or paper wasp (I didn't stick around to get an exact identification) had hitched a ride on her and was more than happy to attack me too...