PDA

View Full Version : Flip flopping ME>HF need the quick and dirty

Mike2012
07-26-2012, 22:23
Having finished GA>HF much later than planned thanks to inconvenient injuries and illness I now am faced with a conundrum. If I continue NOBO I need to average 14.5 or so miles a day in the crappy mid-Atlantic August heat. However if I get up to Baxter I can hike in much cooler weather and not have the October 14th guillotine over my neck. I will continue my research but appreciate any input that will simplify the switch from NOBO to SOBO. In particular I am interested in getting started including getting to Baxter, camping and the 100 mile wilderness. thanks! :)

SCRUB HIKER
07-26-2012, 23:10
Having not flip-flopped or SOBOed myself, I can't give you any practical advice that a guidebook wouldn't have. One thing, though, that would be great about flip-flopping at this point for you is that all through Maine and New Hampshire you'll run into people you knew from the South who are still NOBOing. One of my happiest memories from the Trail is running into my hiking partners from the first 2 weeks that I had left behind at the NOC and assumed I'd never see again, totally by surprise as they walked from the other direction into Pierce Pond Shelter in Maine. Great evening (and morning at Harrison's) catching up with them. Hopefully something similar can happen for you if you go through with the flip-flop.

peakbagger
07-27-2012, 07:29
The statistical warmest day of the year was yesterday, from now on its gets cooler. Heading up to Baxter now is a great option. The ponds and lakes in Maine are about as warm as they get which means good swimmingThis will get you to NH in early september which is a great time to go through the whites. The only donwside is you miss the leaf season in Me. NH and VT, but you also miss the cold nights. Planty of thru hikers heading northbound so you wont be lonely. Alternatively jump up to the whites, Nobo to Katahdin and then head back to Glencliff and head south. Hard to go wrong spending the rest of the summer in ME and NH and then spending fall south of here

max patch
07-27-2012, 12:31
I agree that if you continue to hike NOBO you will certainly have to monitor your pace and the calendar. Couple quick thots:

I bet someone at the ATC has heard this question before and can give you info you need, and

If I was in your situation I'd continue hiking NOBO until DWG and flip from there, if necessary.

DavidNH
07-27-2012, 13:55
Just a word about getting to Baxter state park. If using public transport: bus, train or plain to Portland Me. I think there's then one bus a day from Portland, ME to Medway. In Medway you can get a cab to Millinocket. Here.. the AT Trail cage and Lodge can bunk you cheap then shuttle you to Baxter State Park, say at Katahdin Stream campground. You will need a reservation (I think it's 20 bucks per site per night). Here you are on the trail. Expect one full day to climb to top of Katahdin (northern terminus) and back down. So you really need your campsite for two nights.

From Katahdin Stream campground you follow the AT south for 10 miles or so to Abol Bridge Camp ground. There's a small camp store here where you can get the basics. Then from here you are into the 100 mile wilderness. 5-10 days later you come out near Monson Maine. Be sure to stay at Shaws Boarding house. great hostel!

DavidNH

Firefighter503
08-04-2012, 13:51
I agree that if you continue to hike NOBO you will certainly have to monitor your pace and the calendar. Couple quick thots:

I bet someone at the ATC has heard this question before and can give you info you need, and

If I was in your situation I'd continue hiking NOBO until DWG and flip from there, if necessary.

I'm curious as to why you mention DWG as a better place to flip vs. Harpers Ferry. Flipping at HF, you hike south and your last days are a ridge walk in MD followed by the C&O canal into HF. I haven't been through DWG so I'd like to hear about it.

max patch
08-04-2012, 14:29
Not necessarily "better", but at this point the OP may not "need" to flip. By the time he reaches DWG he'll "know" if he needs to flip or not, and there is public transportation in DWG to get him up to ME.

Firefighter503
08-04-2012, 17:43
Good enough reason for me. Thanks for the info.

bear bag hanger
08-05-2012, 11:19
Getting to East Millinocket from Harpers Ferry isn't too difficult. Take the train out of HF to Washington, DC then up to Boston. Then take a bus from Boston to East Millinocket. The Boston bus station is very close to the train station, if I remember correctly, they are in the same building. It'll take about two days. Getting around from East Millinocket to Millinocket is a cheap cab ride. There are several options in Millinocket about a place to stay - ask about getting a ride out to Baxter when you check in. If they don't know, try another place. Most places have someone available to get you out there fairly cheaply, particularly if they will take multiple hikers out and allow you all to share the cost. There is a hostel in Millinocket, but don't remember the name. Hope this helps.

Red Hat
08-05-2012, 18:26
Paul (Ole Man) and Jamie (Navigator) run the Appalachian Trail Lodge as well as the AT Cafe in Millinocket. www.appalachiantraillodge.com Contact them about staying there and a shuttle to Baxter. They are very helpful and will answer any questions. I think that it is easier to flip from Harpers Ferry than from just about anywhere else due to the availability of public transportation (Amtrac)

Mike2012
09-23-2012, 19:54
Just an update: I love flip flopping! Seeing so many old friends its bringing laughter and tears of joy and a sense of closure. 850 miles or so left and only 70 miles of the whites left.
I am lucky to have an old buddy in NH so have had two football Sundays and much cargo loading. Still nursing the knee but it hasn't swelled up again. Hope to finish b4 thanksgiving.

grizzlyadam
09-28-2012, 18:04
Just an update: I love flip flopping! Seeing so many old friends its bringing laughter and tears of joy and a sense of closure. 850 miles or so left and only 70 miles of the whites left.
I am lucky to have an old buddy in NH so have had two football Sundays and much cargo loading. Still nursing the knee but it hasn't swelled up again. Hope to finish b4 thanksgiving.

What did you end up figuring out for transportation? I'm curious to know as I'm trying to get up to Baxter on Monday and looking at all my options.

Lauriep
09-28-2012, 21:02
Mike, Great to see from your follow-up post that your enjoying your flip-flop hike.

We look forward to seeing you at ATC when you finish in Harpers Ferry! We have a tradition of opening a bottle of sparkling cider (from the Apple House along the A.T. in Linden, VA) to celebrate a hiker's A.T. completion if his or her last steps are in Harpers Ferry. We also take a victory photo by the sign in front of the building.

Enjoy the journey, and make sure you pick up some blaze orange for hunting season that's visible from 360 degrees (if you haven't already).

Laurie P.
ATC