PDA

View Full Version : UL 10 Commandments

Stoker53
04-26-2005, 10:41
As a recent convert from Heavy Pack / Presbyterian I'm just beginning to walk the path of enLIGHTENMENT. I need spiritual direction, a road map if you will. I'm looking to those among you who have been the mountain top and seen the promised land to share the 10 commandments you brought back.

Moses had tablets of stone but I suspect that most of you have tablets of plastic ( CD rom ) or titanium, aluminum, mylar film, etc.

Like most religious converts I'll take all the info you ( prophets of the religion ) provide and simply use what I like and ignore the rest. Tactic served me well with Southern Baptists and most recently Presbyterians.

So what are your 10 commandments for UL hiking? Serious and humorous posts will be equally evaluated then I'll publish my personal top 10.

TDale
04-26-2005, 10:51
Every item shall have multiple uses or it shall be left behind.

Doctari
04-26-2005, 11:06
Every item shall be used daily or it shall be left behind.

The Hog
04-26-2005, 11:18
Thou shalt not wear heavy boots, nor shall thee carry a heavy backpack, tent, or sleeping bag. Prithee, leave thy mega flashlite in yonder dumpster, along with thy stonelike hiking staff.

Tha Wookie
04-26-2005, 11:54
Thall shalt not covet thy neighbors beef stroganoff.

Tha Wookie
04-26-2005, 11:55
Smite down thy toothbrush as Moses hath hewn the sea.

Blue Jay
04-26-2005, 12:19
Thou shalt flirt with the Goddess Hypothermia at all times, due to lack of food, clothing AND shelter. Note, this is not a shot, I like flirting with her also.

"ME & U"
04-26-2005, 12:49
Every thing is Zen...

Move in and through in as much as beyond weightlessness...
Let your every thought center itself on the weight of each object you possess and in this way... you will have thought about it.

getting rid of it is your problem:D

Pencil Pusher
04-26-2005, 16:38
Zen and the art of mooching.

TDale
04-26-2005, 16:48
Zen and Yogi(ing)?

Lilred
04-26-2005, 17:18
Thy base weight shall be under 12 pounds.

Blue Jay
04-26-2005, 19:44

12 pounds?? M :banana y food bag coming out of town weighs that.

Kerosene
04-26-2005, 20:20
12 pounds?? M :banana y food bag coming out of town weighs that.Food isn't part of your base weight. Of course, 12 pounds of food should be enough for more than a week. Either that, or you're a big guy, Blue Jay!

NICKTHEGREEK
04-26-2005, 20:24
If thou doest not humpeth it thine own self thou shall not beggeth the use of it from another.

Happy
04-26-2005, 23:43
A thru-hikers base weight, starting the approach trail on March 1st or later should not be greater than 8 pounds including the BIG FOUR and no more than 17 pounds including all clothes, electronics, etc.

Add 4 lbs for water and 6 pounds for food for a grand total of 27 lbs. :welcome

Clark Fork
04-26-2005, 23:48
Make up your mind you want to make the transition to ultra-light hiking recognizing it will take commitment, dedication and understanding that ultra-light hiking is a process not simply an accumulation of products from a store, catalog or from over the Internet. The first step is to buy a scale.
Decide from the beginning that your objective is to hike smart and safely never compromising on safety and health so as not to endanger yourself or create a situation where you would burden others or unnecessarily harm the environment.
Approach your transition to ultra-light hiking with an open mind observing a degree of humility that comes from knowing you don’t have all the answers.
Set goals and priorities deciding on a workable timetable that does not burden those with whom you work and/or those for whom you care.
Assess your budget needs in a realistic manner that takes into account your own needs and those that depend on you.
Research products having a keen eye for quality and durability.
Listen to others carefully with respect for their opinions and their experience but learn to trust your own judgment.
Make an inventory of your own opinions, prejudices and other such baggage that hinders a fresh view.
Live in the real world by acting rather than shopping, hiking instead of dreaming and living rather than hoping.
Having made progress, help others along the trail. Discard the notion, “If it is meant to be, it is up to me,” instead recognize that every day on the trail is fresh evidence of the spiritual side of the universe from which you are bound to benefit.
Clark Fork in Western Montana

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 00:03
How about ...

Thy gross base weight shall include thy excess body flab.

:datz

Rain:sunMan

Just Jeff
04-27-2005, 00:09
Though shalt proclaimeth to all who doth harken, and most who won't, that thy newest belief is the one true path to the light, and that thy gear is godlier than theirs.

Converting others to thy views is the "Hiking Man's Burden" and thou must endeavor to fulfill this destiny if thou expecteth admittance to the final Mountain on High.

MedicineMan
04-27-2005, 02:14
1. never be the first to mention gear
2. when asked only answer succinctly, dont aggrandize unless asked
3. believe it or not there are many hikers who like the gear
they have, like carrying something that may be heavy but is
resilient as hell, dont push your mantra onto them
4. remember its safer to loose 5 pounds of gut than gear
5. even if you make significant sacrifices in all major areas allow
at least one frivolous item
6. most important, dont hike with a heavy heart

Ramble~On
04-27-2005, 04:19
:-?
Pratice.
Whilst in the wilds ponder the usage of each piece of stuff you have brought with you. Do you need it ? Is there a lighter weight alternative ?
Every time I go out I figure out some lighter, smaller, better thing to replace a thing I thought was the lightest, best and smallest.

Food. I am constantly trying to limit food weight and not suffer. Once you find baseweight gear you are happy with try to cut weight from the foodbag.
Water. I drink a ton of water at water sources. How much water I carry depends on 1) how far to next source. 2) temperature 3) difficulty of trail (steep climb)

I do not consider myself an Ultra Lighter....I simply try to make my pack lighterweight than everybody else :D

Blue Jay
04-27-2005, 06:00
1. never be the first to mention gear
2. when asked only answer succinctly, dont aggrandize unless asked
3. believe it or not there are many hikers who like the gear
they have, like carrying something that may be heavy but is
resilient as hell, dont push your mantra onto them
4. remember its safer to loose 5 pounds of gut than gear
5. even if you make significant sacrifices in all major areas allow
at least one frivolous item
6. most important, dont hike with a heavy heart

One of the best posts EVER on this forum, particularly #6. Thankyouthankyouthankyou

flyfisher
04-27-2005, 06:44
If thy pack is light enough to forget it is there, it is light enough.

Kerosene
04-27-2005, 08:54
Thy gross base weight shall include thy excess body flab.That's just gross. :cool:

Jaybird
04-27-2005, 09:22

Thy BASE WEIGHT shall NOT exceed 10lbs! (NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION)

JoeHiker
04-27-2005, 09:55
Thy BASE WEIGHT shall NOT exceed 10lbs! (NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION)

Man. I'm not likely to ever get that low. I'm not far off, but in the end, I have too many "will-nots" (e.g. I will not ditch the water filter) that just aren't negotiable for me.

I shall remain a sinner.

chris
04-27-2005, 10:52
Get your baseweight down to below 5% of your body weight.

Pencil Pusher
04-27-2005, 21:22
If thou doest not humpeth it thine own self thou shall not beggeth the use of it from another.
Such blasphemy. Be gone, ye' sinner. Do not come back until ye' have seen the light.

SGT Rock
04-27-2005, 22:24
I - FSO (From Skin Out) weight will not exceed 25% of your lean body mass. Flab does not count. Do not hide weight from thy packing list by thinking thine pockets nor the other places of storage do not count.

II - Every item will be scrutinized. Nothing is sacred.

III - Every item should have another use. If an item has one use it should be cast upon the pile of shame.

IV - Thou shall be independent in all things. Do not covet anyone else's gear, nor yogi, or mooch.

V - Thou shalt not talk about gear while thou art on the trail. Gear talk should only be done on the Internet.

VI - Do not cut thine weight to the point you are a danger to yourself or those around you.

VII - Cut weight at all times. If you need something, look for the lightest you can get. If you can't find it light, then make it thine self.

VIII - If it looks stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid.

IX - Cutting weight is about hiking and having fun, it is not about bragging about base weight. To brag is to be a fool.

X - The more I carry, the more I like camping; the less I carry, the more I like hiking.

Ramble~On
04-28-2005, 06:17
AH HUH !!!

SGT Rock speaketh words of wisdom.

" The more I carry, the more I like camping; the less I carry, the more I like hiking"

Hallelujah......Hallelujah

Divine words for the backpack

Stoker53
04-28-2005, 08:27
My enLIGHTMENT has reached fever pitch due to your profound words of wisdom. My morale is soaring. Old hvy gear is being donated to daughter's boyfreinds. They're young and I want them to be tired at the end of the day esp if daughter's are on the trip with them.

For god's sake somebody please hand me a copperhead !!!! Feel like dancin.:banana

SGT Rock
04-28-2005, 11:02
Yes, it can be fun to outfit your daughter's boyfriend for a hike. :cool:

Footslogger
04-28-2005, 11:08
Yes, it can be fun to outfit your daughter's boyfriend for a hike. :cool:==================================
Can I get an AMEN for adding a few rocks to his pack ????

'Slogger (with a single daughter)

SGT Rock
04-28-2005, 11:11
Not only that, but when you hike all the way to camp and set up before he ever gets there, then hike back to where he is and offer to take his pack for him if he is too tired :sun

Krewzer
04-29-2005, 00:47
Thou shalt not take the lord's name in vain if thy pack casts ye down upon the fermament.

For it is written, if thy pack wieght offends thee, pluck it out.

........great thread :-)

Pencil Pusher
04-29-2005, 05:10
Have any pics?;)

Footslogger
04-29-2005, 09:07
Have any pics?;)===========================
I'd have to meet you first ...

'Slogger

stickman
04-29-2005, 20:58
Thou shalt make a few exceptions to the rule that every item must have multiple uses, for Aqua Mira, Moleskin, and such useful but single purpose items thou carryiest.

Stickman

PS, sorry to inject seriousness back into this forum. I've enjoyed the humor - especially the stuff about daughter's boyfriend. Hmmmm...

The Old Fhart
04-29-2005, 22:12
"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, and pray my pack is light enough so my body may follow."

fiddlehead
04-29-2005, 22:39
1/ Doctori already said #1:Every item shall be used daily or it shall be left behind.
2/All of your life you must search for anything out there in the world that is lighter weight than what you are now carrying but still do the job: spoon, toothbrush, knife (do you even need one? for what?) stuff sax?, water bottles? etc.
3/ Only carry water when you need to and learn the art of "cameling up!" at water sources. You should be good for at least 5 or 6 miles by chugging a quart!
4/Learn what you can do without: Some people hike without: socks, sleeping pad, knife, rope, stuff sacks, hat, extra clothes, etc.
5/Use a Drop Box. you can keep fingernail clippers, razor, big toothpaste tube, spare clothes, town clothes, new sox, tape, etc.
6/Buy a small pack only. Then you can't take along that extra book and wool sweater.
7/You don't need a flashlight in the summer. If 14 hours of daylight aren't enough for you to get your days walk in, then carry one. if not, you don't need it!
8/Floorless tents save weight and are dryer! Tents with floors are like bathtubs: a good way to collect water. Learn how to stay dry in a tarp and use tyvek to keep the dirt off.
9/Carry only the data book! If it's your first hike, you can look at someone elses "Companion" about where to find the post office and laundry when you get to town. Most everything else you really need to know is more fun finding out by arriving without a (mis)conception!
10/ Keep an OPEN MIND!

Frosty
04-29-2005, 23:24
you can look at someone elses "Companion" Ditto for maps. Save weight and money both by using other people's. Plus, everybody carries chemicals or a filter. Just ask to borrow theirs when you need it. Leave your first aid kit at home. Everybody else will be carrying one and you can use theirs in an emergency. Take only a couple ounces of fuel and borrow some when you run out. Take half the food you need - someone will give you something. Get in to camp late at night and didn't bring a flashlight to save weight? No problem, use someone else's.

Relying on other people to pack gear you need will certainly lower your pack weight, but it does bring up certain ethical considerations. If you don't need it, don't bring it. If you will need it, carry it; don't rely on someone else to carry your stuff.

My 2 cents.

Heater
04-30-2005, 01:06
Ditto for maps. Save weight and money both by using other people's. Plus, everybody carries chemicals or a filter. Just ask to borrow theirs when you need it. Leave your first aid kit at home. Everybody else will be carrying one and you can use theirs in an emergency. Take only a couple ounces of fuel and borrow some when you run out. Take half the food you need - someone will give you something. Get in to camp late at night and didn't bring a flashlight to save weight? No problem, use someone else's.

Relying on other people to pack gear you need will certainly lower your pack weight, but it does bring up certain ethical considerations. If you don't need it, don't bring it. If you will need it, carry it; don't rely on someone else to carry your stuff.

My 2 cents.
OK. In that first part you were being sarcastic, right?!! :D

plodder
04-30-2005, 02:33
Was starting to get me riled too. Not to swift yet this morning.

The Old Fhart
04-30-2005, 07:59
Frosty is absolutely correct. Those hikers that cut their gear to the point that they have to rely on others for anything are avoided just like ticks and other parasites. There is nothing more anoying than listening to these hikers brag about how they have cut their pack weight, and don't even carry a watch because they want to get away from schedules, but are forever asking you what time it is.

Cutting your pack weight is wise. Cutting it to the point where you don't have necessary gear and become an annoyance or possible hazzard to yourself and others is sheer stupidity.

Pencil Pusher
04-30-2005, 19:05
===========================
I'd have to meet you first ...

'Slogger
So what's good enough for the dad is good enough for the daughter? That is one sick and twisted way to screen for dudes, man.

Cripes Fhart/Frosty, I thought we were having fun in this thread!

The Old Fhart
04-30-2005, 19:23
Pencil Pusher-"Cripes Fhart/Frosty, I thought we were having fun in this thread!"Maybe you don't understand the difference between tragedy and comedy. I think it was Mel Brooks who said: "tragedy is when something bad happens to you; comedy is when it happens to someone else." --comedy probably is not when an older man try to hit on someone else's daughter. :D

Pencil Pusher
04-30-2005, 19:52
Maybe you don't understand the difference between tragedy and comedy. I think it was Mel Brooks who said: "tragedy is when something bad happens to you; comedy is when it happens to someone else." --comedy probably is not when an older man try to hit on someone else's daughter. :D

Can I get an AMEN for adding a few rocks to his pack ????

Not wise for sure, but good fun when it's all in jest. He's the one that mentioned his daughter was single...

fiddlehead
04-30-2005, 20:54
Ditto for maps. Save weight and money both by using other people's. Plus, everybody carries chemicals or a filter. Just ask to borrow theirs when you need it. Leave your first aid kit at home. Everybody else will be carrying one and you can use theirs in an emergency. Take only a couple ounces of fuel and borrow some when you run out. Take half the food you need - someone will give you something. Get in to camp late at night and didn't bring a flashlight to save weight? No problem, use someone else's.

My 2 cents.
OK, you're right and i'd take that statement out of those ten commandments (the last 3 thru hikes i did, i didn't see many other hikers yet still only carried the data book on the AT)
But what i'm trying to say here is really all said in my #10 commandment: KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
Carrying the Wingfoot guide or the Companion makes a hiker be more like sheep! Do you want to go where everybody else goes, do you want to know what everythings going to be like before you even take your first step? Or, do you want an adventure where every day and every turn is going to be a surprise? Up to you! fh

whiteagle
05-02-2005, 00:55
fiddlehead, nice save. ;)

Don't remember where I heard it, but:

Taketh only what thou needest to really survive, then addeth a trifle more that thy days may be enjoyable.

Daniel

Mike
05-02-2005, 15:20
How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take that speck out of your pack,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own pack? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own pack. Then only offer advice when asked.

Ramble~On
05-03-2005, 02:24
Thou shall have a large helium bladder inside pack that provides lift :jump

whiteagle
05-03-2005, 12:25
Lol, you might be onto something. Supposedly a 3 meter weather balloon filled with helium can lift about 30 lbs. You'd be fine until the wind picks up or it gets cold.

Pencil Pusher
05-03-2005, 21:25
Fill your tires with helium and get better gas mileage.

Ramble~On
05-05-2005, 03:58
Spendeth $10,000.00 and have a company transport your heavy things for you, cooketh for you and cleaneth up after you.
Slacketh thy packeth.

trip
05-28-2005, 16:48
A thru-hikers base weight, starting the approach trail on March 1st or later should not be greater than 8 pounds including the BIG FOUR and no more than 17 pounds including all clothes, electronics, etc.

Add 4 lbs for water and 6 pounds for food for a grand total of 27 lbs. :welcome
Whoa! UL hiking with electronics? Mooch digital photos off of those you pass.

SGT Rock
05-31-2005, 16:39
Doing this Super Ultralight Challenge I have got the base pack weight to 4.5 pounds and the total pack weight with food and water to 10.5 pounds for a three day trip. I still haven't tried it for comfort yet. This weekend is a shake down hike.

oliander
08-11-2005, 18:09
Focus on reducing the weight of your: Backpack, sleeping bag, shelter, and WATER. Water weighs 2.2 pounds per liter. As someone here mentioned, you should be hydrating well right at the water sources, so that you have less to carry/drink before the next water source.

Don't worry about the smaller items till you've dealt with the above.

Second piece of advice is to measure how much you use. Go out for 7 days and keep track of how much you ACTUALLY use of: food, suncreen, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc. Most people bring twice as much as they really need of each item. I now know that I need 0.5 oz of sunscreen per day, so I no longer overpack it.