PDA

View Full Version : Any Updates of Trail Conditions after the Storms?

HooKooDooKu
07-27-2012, 14:17
Yea, I'm familier with the official web page http://www.nps.gov/grsm/trail-damage-7-5-12-storm.htm

But the park service basically went from something like "avoid the following trails..." to the above site that lists relatively few closures.

I'm planning a trip if a few weeks to hike up Eagle Creek and back down the AT, right in the heart of the storm damage area. Looking for any trail reports to deterime if I should go for it, or consider something else for now.

SGT Rock
07-27-2012, 14:50
I haven't heard anything lately. Eagle Creek was on the impacted list and then was off it fairly quickly, so I'm skeptical about the condition being good. I would also be worried about connections to that trail since I know the Twentymile Trail was in very bad shape on the 5th. What is your route plan?

Don H
07-27-2012, 16:01
Is the detour still in effect near Killington, VT?

rmitchell
07-27-2012, 22:46
Tuesday I dayhiked from Fontana Dam to Birch Spring (campsite 113) and back. There was only one tree across the trail. I spoke with a southbound backpacker who said there was only one tree down further north to Mollies Ridge. I don't know about the status of Eagle Creek trail.

There were a lot of downed trees just off the Dragon (Hwy 129) near the TN/NC line.

HooKooDooKu
07-28-2012, 02:43
I haven't heard anything lately. Eagle Creek was on the impacted list and then was off it fairly quickly, so I'm skeptical about the condition being good. I would also be worried about connections to that trail since I know the Twentymile Trail was in very bad shape on the 5th. What is your route plan?

Originally, I was going to start at Fontana Dam and hit #90, #97, Spence Field, Mollies Ridge, and back to the dam. But that plan requires 4 days with a 10.5 mile hike the last day. Recent trips have shown that 10 miles in a day is pushing it. So I'm currently considering starting at Cases Cove Campgronds and hitting Mollies, #91, #97, and optional layover at Spence, and back down to Cades Cove. That makes for only 3 days (4 IF we layover at Spence) with only 9.5 miles the last day.

HooKooDooKu
07-28-2012, 02:47
I would also be worried about connections to that trail since I know the Twentymile Trail was in very bad shape on the 5th.
Yea, I can only imagine what Twentymile looks like. I happend to have planned a trip from Twentymile to Gregory Bald and back the 1st Saturday after the storms. I drove up there not knowing about the storms and got to the trial head Saturday morning. We didn't get 200 yards up the trail and we had already encountered 3 sets of blowdowns, with the last one being impassible (at least with a youngin with me).

SGT Rock
07-28-2012, 08:45
Originally, I was going to start at Fontana Dam and hit #90, #97, Spence Field, Mollies Ridge, and back to the dam. But that plan requires 4 days with a 10.5 mile hike the last day. Recent trips have shown that 10 miles in a day is pushing it. So I'm currently considering starting at Cases Cove Campgronds and hitting Mollies, #91, #97, and optional layover at Spence, and back down to Cades Cove. That makes for only 3 days (4 IF we layover at Spence) with only 9.5 miles the last day.
Sounds reasonable. I think all that area is clear.