PDA

View Full Version : Magazine prefences - does Outside suck or what?

beezner
04-26-2005, 13:16
Does anyone else think that Outside Magazine sucks?
I've been a subscriber to this magazine for years because I enjoy the outdoors and many of the sports it covers, and like that it is a broad magazine that covers many outdoor activities (not just focussed on one). But lately it seems more like a fashion mag to me. Its covers always have some chiseled body posing on it, and there is way too much focus on reviewing trendy clothes and yuppy gear items no one needs, ways to get fit to look good, and those ridiculously expensive outdoor themed retreats and spa resorts. Don't get me wrong, they often have great feature articles (leading to great books like A Walk in the Woods and Into the Wild/Thin Air), but all the filler and the layout is completely off the ball.
I find Backpacker magazine to be a much better version of what Outside should be doing (although its just focussing on one outdoor sport). Its covers usually show beautiful natural spots on the trail for one thing, not beautiful bodies wearing polypro and holding an ice axe or whatever is on outside covers.
Anyone have any suggestions on a magazine that covers a variety of outdoor sports (like hiking, climbing, biking, skiing, etc) like Outside does, but doesnt suck quite as much?

bulldog49
04-26-2005, 13:36
Backpacker Magazine is a shell of its former self. No substance whatsoever. Don't read Outside for the reasons you mentioned.

Seems like there is a market for a good magazine on the outdoors geared to folks who truly spend time there and aren't just interested in the fashion aspects.

Brushy Sage
04-26-2005, 14:04
Without defending either magazine (I don't subscribe to either of them), as a former publisher I just want to point out that the type of publication you are looking for will have to come from a large organization that is willing to operate the publication at a loss. Companies that publish for profit are finding it more and more difficult to stay in business, and most of them are devoting greater amounts of space to advertisements (with less text such as stories and other articles), in order to maintain a reasonable level of business. In addition, they are doing market research, and their editorial and advertising policies are geared toward their most likely readers.

Tha Wookie
04-26-2005, 14:56
If you want a mag without all the BS, join the ATC, the PCT, or other of the many trail organizations that have free mags with membership dues. Usually you get quarterly mags (plus a free hat or knife or something) full of good info and real stories from real hikers, not from slick reporters who don't know what they're talking about. Oh, and they give you cool stickers.

Plus your dinero goes to the management of the trails you might hike on, instead of the North Face's fashion division. Membership dues are typically $20-35 per year.

Give it a try!

PS If you want info on outdoor sports, you could probably get the same deal from paddling, skiiing, biking, etc., groups!

neo
04-26-2005, 15:04
i much prefer this web site for hiking and outdoor info over outside or backpacker,:cool: neo

Footslogger
04-26-2005, 15:19
[QUOTE=beezner]Does anyone else think that Outside Magazine sucks?
QUOTE]
==========================================
That can be said for just about all magazines. Advertising is in control ...not the article authors or the editors.

'Slogger

Sleepy the Arab
04-26-2005, 17:27
Yeah! It does suck. I let my subscription lapse recently because it sucked so much. Every month I would pick it up hoping for something good, and every month I would put it down fifteen minutes later feeling suckered again. Who gives a crap about surfing, or yet another article about wunderkind Lance Armstrong? To borrow a great phrase, t was the suckiest suck to have ever sucked a suck.

Although it's been a while since I picked it up, National Geographic Adventure magazine was a better Outside than Outside was.

BookBurner
04-26-2005, 18:19
I totally understand Brushy Sage's point in theory. But I just got back from Barnes & Noble, and between Wooden Boats Magazine, Cat Fancy, Quilters' Circle, and The Organic Gardner, there seemed to be a magazine for every fringe hobby out there. Are long-distance hikers that rare of a breed? More so than quilters for god sakes? If ferret owners can have a magazine, why can't we?

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker

Tractor
04-26-2005, 18:43
Wish I had this input before just subscribing to Outside. Wife was not too impressed with the photo choices (Women of Rock for instance) but i was pleasantly surprised. Will let it lapse. Not worth it. Do get Backpacker though. I do seem to have to go cover to cover to find them but there are always a few worthy nuggets in each edition to keep it interesting. Is it worth it? It's all relative..........

Brushy may have it nailed though. It would take a heavy ($$) outfit to give us what we want and stay in business through the long run.

Footslogger
04-26-2005, 18:58
I dropped my subscription to Outside and Backpacker. Signed up with Backpackinglight.com instead. I consider my money a lot better spent. Regular articles on current topics ranging from clothing to gear to food to hiking locations. Discounts on anything sold through them.

Not a full color magazine with pretty pics but doesn't end up gathering dust on the coffee table.

'Slogger
AT 2003

FFTorched
04-26-2005, 20:21
I have always enjoyed National Geographic Adventure, but many of the articles are exotic locales and aren't geared for backpacking. Though for exciting tales of extreme travel and survival it is top quality, and always explains things thoroughly so for non-climbers you know what they are talking about. Or vice versa with other sports.

DMA, 2000
04-26-2005, 21:19
They don't have articles about Lance Armstrong. In Outside magazine, he is merely "Lance". And there's some mention of "Lance" in every damn issue.

Skyline
04-26-2005, 21:36
If you live in the East, say in Virginia, West Virginia, or North Carolina--or even have an interest in this area--Blue Ridge Outdoors isn't a bad regional mag. It's not as upscale and glossy as Outsider or Backpacker, but I find it to be more relevant. YMMV.

www.blueridgeoutdoors.com

beezner
04-26-2005, 21:58
and another thing that gets me about Outside (and many similar mags) is they always have features on important environmental issues, such as protection of ANWR from drilling for example (which can actually be pretty good articles), yet their biggest advertisers are always SUV manufacturers. Wish they'd practice what they preach, but I guess it all goes back to what Brushy Sage said; they know what sells. Anyway I think I'm gonna let my subsciption lapse, wish I had a decent replacement for it though...

SavageLlama
04-26-2005, 22:26
I agree that Outside has become the Maxim of outdoor magazines but I tend to think Backpacker is doing a decent job. This month's feature story on Scott Williams' yo-yo of the PCT was well written and engaging.

Sure, both mags are driven by advertising. But they still have some of the best travel/outdoor writing that's out there.

Tha Wookie
04-27-2005, 00:30
Sure, both mags are driven by advertising. But they still have some of the best travel/outdoor writing that's out there.
Out where? Maybe in the advertising world. I think their writing generally stinks, too flashy, no content, no reality. Just bear stories and shock treatments. Yawn...

I'd rather read on trailjournals about someone learning the finer points of their snotrocket.

MedicineMan
04-27-2005, 02:25
but there is a business opportunity for someone motivated....Outside and Backpacker have sold out to the lexus crowd, now if you ever get a chance to look at a mag called 'sea kayaker' even if you're not a paddler you will discover a mag. devoted to its cause......

any super rich here that want to start a magazine called
WhiteBlaze ?????

seriously, i and many others would subscribe to a magazine completedly devoted to the AT, but it would have to be far beyond the ATC's publication for members.....
maybe published every other month?

Ridge
04-27-2005, 03:01
One year I gave my husband a yr of Outside, maybe looked at one. The next year I gave him a 3 yr to Backpacker. He really liked the GEAR one they have, the rest, trashed. Currently he only uses the net, including Backpacker.com, of course this site and a bunch more. He uses the email at Backpacker.com. I personally like "Varanda", "M", "Vogue", and "People" mags. The only hiking I do now is at the mall. hikerwife

RedneckRye
04-28-2005, 19:06
Check out Mountain Gazette. It is a freebie if you grab it at an outfitter, bar, restaurant, etc in Colorado. $25 gets a year of it sent to where ever you live. It is all about mountain culture, not just hiking/backpacking. Well worth the cash, although their mail delivery can occasionally be less than 100% on time. Must be too much time spent playin in the mountains.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-28-2005, 20:04
I totally understand Brushy Sage's point in theory. But I just got back from Barnes & Noble, and between Wooden Boats Magazine, Cat Fancy, Quilters' Circle, and The Organic Gardner, there seemed to be a magazine for every fringe hobby out there. Are long-distance hikers that rare of a breed? More so than quilters for god sakes? If ferret owners can have a magazine, why can't we?

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker)
That's exactly what Jon Wilson the owner of Woodenboat Magazine thought when he cranked out Volume 1 Issue 1 more than 30 years ago. Interestingly it still survives, has evolved and doesn't manage to piss off factions of the wood boat community which by the way has ultra-light, ultra heavy, mono hull and multi hull proponents in sail power and oar camps. Start one up for backpacking yourself although the moniker bookburner may not appeal to the literary crowd.

SGT Rock
04-28-2005, 21:11
I have to agree with Wookie on this. If you want to really read about trails and real trail issues, get into an organization like the ATC, ALDHA, or whatever. You do a few things by doing this: Support a cool organization, cut through all the ad BS you complain about, and vote with your feet.

If you want to read about gear and have a lightweight outlook on gear, then BackpackingLight.com is another choice. The editors there pic gear based on design and function and test that to include small cottage gear manufacturers and don't just review stuff that is advertised in the magazine.

SavageLlama
04-29-2005, 22:00
I'd rather read on trailjournals about someone learning the finer points of their snotrocket.
eh, trailjournals get boring after a while.. most hikers just talk about what they eat for dinner. yawn.

Kerosene
04-30-2005, 12:54
If you want to read about gear and have a lightweight outlook on gear, then BackpackingLight.com is another choice.I joined BPL.com last year and have been really impressed with the quality of the articles, reviews, and equipment discounts. Well worth the $25 subscription fee. I just ordered the newly released BPL monthly print magazine that supposedly has additional articles not found on the website. I'll let everyone know what I think after a few months.

walkin' wally
04-30-2005, 20:03
I let Outside lapse a few years ago. Unlike me they have too much money. I don't want to travel the world. I let Backpacker lapse late last year. I just think they have gotten away from the core theme of the magazine. I don't care to read about bicycling, kayaking, and canoeing and the other off topic stuff there. I think they are becoming like Outside used to be. They don't, in my opinion, have a good grasp on the basic backpacking issues and lifestyle like here at Whiteblaze. They don't seem grounded anymore. Just my opinion.

Toolshed
05-01-2005, 12:51
I stopped Outside around 98-99 after 2 years.

IMMHO, This is a rugged outdoor magazine only if you:
- are metrosexual,
- are a man regularly using skin lotion, and having your nails done
- get male facials,
- think that having a jeep loaded with Leather makes you outdoorsy,
- consider a Subaru a 4-wheel drive vehicle for the backcountry.
- Consider a back country trip to include a Guide, exotic foods, and someone
to carry your gear for you. :jump