PDA

View Full Version : Whites Withdrawal?

Mfrenchy
07-28-2012, 09:06
I just finished going through The White Mountains and was floored with how amazing they were. Truly epic. My question is; How does life and hiking compare afterwards? I'm about to enter Maine and am still looking forward to the rest of the trip, but The Whites were unreal. What were your experiences after? I'm afraid nothing will ever be the same.

~Frenchy
http://appalachianfrenchy.blogspot.com/2012/07/white-out.html

Papa D
07-28-2012, 09:17
I just finished going through The White Mountains and was floored with how amazing they were. Truly epic. My question is; How does life and hiking compare afterwards? I'm about to enter Maine and am still looking forward to the rest of the trip, but The Whites were unreal. What were your experiences after? I'm afraid nothing will ever be the same.

~Frenchy

That's fun - I just finished a hike from US4 (Vt) to Pinkham Notch (NH) - - the whites are spirited for sure but you will also love Maine - hiking in southern Maine (inc. the Mahoosuc Range) is also really cool - - you don't get quite the same views but the water is plentiful and the forest is lush - be prepared for a lot of PUDS. A hike anywhere is what you make of it - even a hike in your neighborhood, a local park, the AT in Pennsylvania or Central VA, etc. - - you are outside, exercising your body, traveling over land, there are always great things to see if you just look.

Cookerhiker
07-28-2012, 09:20
Maine doesn't have the long stretches above treeline like the Whites but much of the atmosphere is still the same with the evergreens, rugged trail, rocky tops. The 4,000'ers are still above treeline. Also you'll really like Maine's lakes and ponds where you can swim, hear loons, and see moose (you may see them in the woods as well). Maine was my favorite state.

Driver8
07-28-2012, 13:54

~Frenchy

The Whites are awesome, for sure, but you hear on these boards a lot of people, like Cooker, say they like Maine even more. I've not gotten there yet but look forward to it.

Mountain Mike
07-28-2012, 14:22
ME has some nice above timberline sections. Then there are lots of other great hikes. Sierras, Goat Rocks, Cascades on PCT. Co on CDT. So many places to hike, so little time.

hikerboy57
07-28-2012, 14:59
I'll tell you all about it in a month. I leave for maine on wednesday

max patch
07-28-2012, 15:31
The Whites are spectacular. Maine is beautiful. Maine was also my favorite state.

House of Payne
07-28-2012, 16:26
My thoughts to this post were simular but of the opposite places. I hike VT and NH all the time and have yet to see any of the AT outside of these areas. I wondered will the rest of the AT down south and maine compare to where I regularly go??

Kerosene
07-29-2012, 11:00
I've section hiked everything from Georgia to Pinkham Notch. I agree that the Whites were very special. I also enjoyed long stretches of the southern AT with their expansive views and smooth trail that allows you to maintain an even hiking pace. I'm looking forward to Maine!

Mfrenchy
08-07-2012, 16:35
Easter NH and southern Maine have been interesting so far to say the least. Parts are extremely eroded and dangerously slick, illness is rampant and the steepness is colossal.

~Frenchy
http://appalachianfrenchy.blogspot.com

SCRUB HIKER
08-07-2012, 16:41
The Whites are awesome, for sure, but you hear on these boards a lot of people, like Cooker, say they like Maine even more.

Count me among those. Maine was far and away my favorite state. Similar beauty to the Whites in places, more isolation, less commercial apparatus interjecting itself into your experience.

Glad you've somehow managed to avoid being depressed by the quality of the Maine woods so far.