PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle help US 19E, NC to Atkins, VA?

badondu
07-29-2012, 00:25
Decided to go with US 19E, NC to Atkins, VA (or vice-versa) for a shakedown hike. Initially, my buddy was going to drive separately so that we could leave a car at either end of the hike, but as it stands right now he is not going to be able to take his car. We will be starting on the 3rd of August (next Friday) and finishing on the 14th. Is anyone in the area and willing to shuttle us either up I-81 from 19E to Atkins on the 3rd or down I-81 back to 19E on the 14th? I'm assuming it would be easier to plan to leave our car at 19E on the 3rd, hitch/shuttle up to Atkins, then SoBo back to our car, so it's easier to coordinate with whoever is shuttling us. Either way, we will pay for gas/lunch. If anyone has info on local trail shuttle businesses that would be much appreciated as well. We have always had multiple cars on trips like this so we're really unfamiliar with how to deal with these dilemmas in planning. Thanks in advance!

Papa D
07-29-2012, 08:49
Mountain Harbor Hostel is right there on 19E - I would suggest parking your car in their field (they will let you do this) and spend the night there. They probably have some suggestions for a shuttle. You could also call Kincora Hostel in Hampton, TN (423) 725-3039 - Bob Peoples is so great, he'd probably shuttle you - if he does, make sure you pay him. I do have a suggestion for you though:

Why don't you back up your hike a little bit and start somewhere like Iron Mountain Gap(NC226) and Get off at Fox Creek, VA (VA 603). This is within 5 miles of the same distance you have planned and you would get to hike the Roans and The Grayson Highlands. The forest is always beautiful to me but if I were to pick a dull place on the AT, Atkins might top the list.

Lyle
07-29-2012, 09:21
I second Mountain Harbour as a secure place to leave your vehicle, fantastic place to stay (Unbelievable breakfast!), and a dependable shuttle. When I used their services, the parking was free if they shuttled you. Not sure if this is still the case. Mary and Terry are wonderful folks. I've been there twice.

Lyle
07-29-2012, 09:23
Another dependable shuttle is Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus.

badondu
07-29-2012, 17:10
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. So if we stick with the section in my first message the best bet is to park at Mountain Harbour and then get a shuttle to Atkins and SoBo. I'm assuming there's nowhere to leave a car in Atkins? Papa, that does sound like a better stretch, but how would this change your parking/shuttle advice? It seems like 19E is a convenient spot to both park and get a shuttle, but if these things will be just as hassle-free on the section you proposed I would probably want to do that instead.

Drybones
07-29-2012, 17:37
Mountain Harbor Hostel is right there on 19E - I would suggest parking your car in their field (they will let you do this) and spend the night there. They probably have some suggestions for a shuttle. You could also call Kincora Hostel in Hampton, TN (423) 725-3039 - Bob Peoples is so great, he'd probably shuttle you - if he does, make sure you pay him. I do have a suggestion for you though:

Why don't you back up your hike a little bit and start somewhere like Iron Mountain Gap(NC226) and Get off at Fox Creek, VA (VA 603). This is within 5 miles of the same distance you have planned and you would get to hike the Roans and The Grayson Highlands. The forest is always beautiful to me but if I were to pick a dull place on the AT, Atkins might top the list.

If you stay at Mountain Harbor eat breakfast there, you wont regret it...really enjoyed my stay there...great people.

Lone Wolf
07-29-2012, 20:08
Another dependable shuttle is Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus.

that's about 200 miles of driving. MRO, Sundog outfitters, etc. would not be a cheap shuttle. close to $300. call them plus Mtn. harbor. i'll do it much cheaper

Papa D
07-29-2012, 21:06
that's about 200 miles of driving. MRO, Sundog outfitters, etc. would not be a cheap shuttle. close to $300. call them plus Mtn. harbor. i'll do it much cheaper

You could Park in Atkins - I think there is a gas station there - my point was just that you might have more fun backing the trip up south about 50 miles so you get the Roans in the mix - - when you get past the Grayson Highlands in VA (maybe 20 miles past T. Knob Shelter) the trail gets a bit routine - the woods are still cool but there are few high points until you get to The Priest. Mt Rogers Outfitters is a good suggestion too. Lone Wolf and I have had our tiffs on this site but I would suggest that he knows what he is talking about regarding this section - you might P/M him too.

badondu
07-29-2012, 22:48
You could Park in Atkins - I think there is a gas station there - my point was just that you might have more fun backing the trip up south about 50 miles so you get the Roans in the mix - - when you get past the Grayson Highlands in VA (maybe 20 miles past T. Knob Shelter) the trail gets a bit routine - the woods are still cool but there are few high points until you get to The Priest. Mt Rogers Outfitters is a good suggestion too. Lone Wolf and I have had our tiffs on this site but I would suggest that he knows what he is talking about regarding this section - you might P/M him too.

I totally agree with you about the scenery with the Roans/Va Highlands. Sounds like an awesome stretch, a great part of which I would miss if I started at 19E. I wasn't thinking about this as much as I should have when I first picked the section. My question now is what the parking situation is like on NC 226 (Iron Mtn Gap) and VA 603 (Fox Creek) near the trail. I'll just leave the car at whichever one of these road crossings has the closest, safest parking, and get a shuttle to the other. LW, just sent you a pm. I'll call all the hostels you guys mentioned tomorrow during the day. Thanks again