PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag sizing...

Trickytrout
07-29-2012, 14:22
So I'm noticing that, when it comes to sizes offered, most bags are either up to 6' or up to 6'6". Being exactly 6' 0.5" tall, am I better off going for the larger size or can I squeeze by in a 6'? Only reason I ask is that obviously the larger bag weighs more.

Thanks for the help.

Trickytrout
07-29-2012, 14:24
I should also mention that I am very slim and do not have very broad shoulders.

kayak karl
07-29-2012, 14:27
about 8.3% more in weight. about 3 oz. its not worth discomfort for me, but i don't know how you sleep. if saving weight look into quilts also.

Old Boots
07-29-2012, 14:46
Depending on when you hike, size does matter. I started in GA toward mid-Feb. I am @ 5'10" and I used a 6'6" Marmot Neversummer. the extra length allowed me to stuff clothing into the bottom of the bag thus keeping them and my feet warmer and drier and to snuggle down into the bag without feeling squeezed. The extra ozs. won't matter if you are cold. If weight matter give up 3 0z of something else.

theoilman
07-29-2012, 16:53
I too am 6' 1/2". I chose a 'standard' 6' bag, and done well with it. I am a side sleeper and tend to curl up, so it works well for me. (Summer bag, winter with extra layers and a place to stow clothes and have them prewarmed in the morning I might want the longer.)
Brands vary quite a lot, some are generous, some are barely there.
If you are a back sleeper and stretch all the way out - try it out in the store first, or rent one of what you are thinking about and try it for several nights.

Bronk
07-29-2012, 19:59
I'm 6ft and opt for the larger bag...if it is tight fitting some part of you will press up agains the bag and create a cold spot. A tight fit means less loft. Especially in the newer lightweight bags every bit of insulation counts as they are tightly engineered to reduce weight. A tight fitting mummy bag is too claustrophobic for my taste.

cknight
07-31-2012, 22:11
I am right at 5'11" and love my 6'6" bags. the extra room is always nice to have in cold weather

pheldozer
08-06-2012, 12:30
i've owned bags from 5 or 6 companies over the years, and the regular/long from one brand doesn't always share the same dimensions as a regular/long from another. going to your local gear shop and climbing into a few is the safest bet, even if you eventually end up ordering online.

mediauras
08-08-2012, 14:54
I think narrowing your bag choices down and then trying them out is a good idea. They don't all fit the same. ANd its not just length, but width dimensions that you might want to be aware of. Just try some out and see what's comfortable (I'm 5'10" 165, but prefer larger bags because I toss and turn and mostly sleep on my side. The extra room provide a lot of comfort.)

Another Kevin
08-08-2012, 23:18
I'm 6'1" and a bit stouter than I probably ought to be (although taking up hiking again has definitely helped in that department!) Years ago, I had an REI Regular bag, and did indeed develop cold spots as I tossed and turned. Nowadays, I have a Long, and I'm a lot more comfortable in it.

Last April, I went to sleep in it as sleet was spattering all about my tent, and woke up to a nice layer of frost on the rainfly, but I was toasty in the 20 degree bag wearing just my baselayer. I'd pulled off my fleecy layer sometime during the night and it was stuffed around my feet. I even had enough spare length to keep a water bottle unfrozen in there. I was even able to keep my Camelback unfrozen. I wrapped it in my rain jacket and used it as a pillow. The combination was surprisingly comfortable. I'd have definitely developed a cold spot in my old bag. That weekend was a great trip, sleet and all.

Of course, the sizes from different manufacturers vary, as does the way people sleep. And I'm just a clueless weekender.

Don H
08-09-2012, 06:51
Suggest that you try the bag on for size if you can. Make sure you zip up completely and cinch the hood down tight so only your face is exposed and notice if your feet are tight against the bottom. You want some room at your feet.