PDA

View Full Version : Bdu,s help

Tramp
07-29-2012, 17:02
Propper BDU pants at www.uscavalry.com #28684 & propper tactical light shirt style f5302 shirt at www.propper.com. what does everyone think of these? I would like to know your thoughts

silverscuba22
07-29-2012, 17:22
Are planning to thru hike ? as ex army i can say there are much better options for comfort and weight. are you doing winter hiking ???? sorry need for info of what your doing.... for a basic thru starting in march i would say NOO! you are going to hot ans sweaty in a hurry.

theinfamousj
07-29-2012, 17:55
as ex army i can say there are much better options for comfort and weight.

I am not ex-Army, but my very long-term SO was, and on occasion I borrowed his BDUs. They were heavier, hotter, stiffer, more fiddly (with the pockets and straps and whatnots), and dirt-trapping-er than my standard hiking clothes of lightweight parachute nylon pants and a synthetic tee. I'm sure BDUs are more durable, and they are surprisingly comfortable for the weight, but I'd not choose to hike in them. Also, my standard hiking clothes may pick up dirt and stains, but after an hour, those seem to just brush away and disappear.

Oh, and BDUs dry more slowly for those moments that you are caught in a rain storm and/or have done trail laundry to remove sweat.

silverscuba22
07-29-2012, 18:16
They were heavier, hotter, stiffer, more fiddly (with the pockets and straps and whatnots), and dirt-trapping-er than my standard hiking clothes of lightweight parachute nylon pants and a synthetic tee. I'm sure BDUs are more durable, and they are surprisingly comfortable for the weight, but I'd not choose to hike in them.

Oh, and BDUs dry more slowly for those moments that you are caught in a rain storm and/or have done trail laundry to remove sweat.

Yea, you Aare right, i remember doing ruck marchings in BDU's and ACU's and when its raining they just fill with water and weigh a TON. and when you get hot they dont breathe worth a crap,

bfayer
07-29-2012, 19:34
The military uses a lot of cotton because it is cheap, it does not melt into your skin when exposed to flame or high heat and does a better job of reducing your IR signature than synthetics (retains heat). They do not use it because it is the best choice for general outdoor use.

My point being that military and L/E requirements drive material and design. Their requirements are not necessarily your requirements. In my opinion there are much better options available for less money for general outdoor use.

However if your goal is to hide from other hikers with night vision goggles or avoid bursting into flames when hit with a flying,flaming marshmallow, BDUs just may be the ticket :)

YMMV, WYOW (Walk your Own Walk)

Tramp
07-29-2012, 20:31
See....This is why I ask these questions here. Great info ! No not tru hiking yet. Section and week end for now. These bdus are 65% poly & 35% cotton. Thay seem to dry fast & kinda cheep. I thank you all for your input.

wythekari
07-30-2012, 00:02
I use my BDUs for trail work. The extra large pockets are great for a folding saw or snips if I'm trimming a tree that is across the trail or I can cram a set of heavy gloves in them, I can tie off the bottoms to keep duff and debris out of my boots, and when in stickers or heavy brush they hold up without getting snagged. But if my trip is hiking without trail work then they are not my first option.

camojack
07-31-2012, 04:32
Propper BDU pants at www.uscavalry.com (http://www.uscavalry.com) #28684 & propper tactical light shirt style f5302 shirt at www.propper.com (http://www.propper.com). what does everyone think of these? I would like to know your thoughts
What I think is that they're cheaper at http://bdu.com/

I wear 'em all the time; that's where I get mine nowadays.

leaftye
07-31-2012, 06:50
I wore BDU's for 8 years. They get plenty hot without hiking long distances. I can imagine using them for hiking. As is, even the thinnest nylon pants still don't breathe enough. It's enough that I'll probably start using a kilt soon, which is saying something since I don't even like wearing shorts.

jeep123
09-02-2012, 00:30
Dont wear acu's/bdus for hiking. Too thick and heavy, soak water, 50cotton = no good. The cargo pockets are great when you're doing ftx/stx lanes, etc...stick in the meal entrees from mre's, extra mags, etc (or sometimes a kindle in a plastic bag for all the sitting around lol). Thats about it.

If you do wear them, don't wear underwear. I wear acus everyday to work...most of the time i dont wear underwear even when im just sitting around all day inside.

Spokes
09-02-2012, 10:48
Nylon running shorts are better. Wear baselayer bottoms if cold, rain pants over top for wind protection. You don't need battle dress for hiking.

yellowsirocco
09-02-2012, 11:46
you can get cheap fully nylon clothes at walmart that work better for hiking than bdu/acu.

Mags
09-02-2012, 13:18
I have fou d the BDUs to be good for trail work and general beater clothing. Otherwise, too heavy and soaks up too much water for general outdoor use IMO.

Tramp
09-02-2012, 23:20
Wish you could post a link to the nylon cloths your talking about. Would like to check them out

Bootbanger
09-03-2012, 00:31
Being a retired Army Ranger, I would not recommend wearing BDU's (summer or winter) for a thru-hike. They are way too heavy for me to hike with. They are fine for what we do in the military, but for a long term hiking trek, I would frown upon it. Of course, my comments are my personal opinions, so take the way you want to. I am going to purchase some lightweight convertibles for my 2013 thru-hike. I may or may not like them. I never used them before, but all the comment I have heard about them they seem to be what will work for me.