PDA

View Full Version : AT access in VT

Anghiker
04-26-2005, 17:44
Could anyone out there tell me if there is some kind of publication or any other source other that the guide books on accessing the AT from different roads? We have a very small group and we can only day hike. Sometimes between the roads listed on the guides and maps are just to far ( over 12 miles) for us to do in one day. Other than backpacking which some can't do in our group, we are at a standstill in some of these sections.
Seems like I saw something once on section hiking the entire AT meaning day hikes but I can't remember where I saw it.
I have an example. In VT from Rt12 to the River road it is like 18 miles. The only other road that may be of help is the Chaeauguay Road. This would make our trip about 9 miles a doable. Both the LT and AT guides only reference to it is that we cross it.
If anyone has any ideas because I'm sure there are so many of these areas along the trail.
Thanks
Angie

Deb
04-26-2005, 18:04
Exploring the Appalachian Trail, subtitled Hikes in Southern New England - Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont - by David Emblidge is very useful for day hikes or section hikes in Vermont.
It lists all AT road crossings, mileages, and indicates day parking and overnight parking. I became aware of the fact that not all listed road crossings are navigable roads, not even by 4-wheel drive vehicles. This book will tell you that.

poison_ivy
04-26-2005, 18:06
Pick up a copy of "Exploring the Appalachian Trail: Southern New England." It basically breaks the AT in CT, Mass. & Vt into dayhikes or overnight backpacking trips (there are a few areas that are skipped... but it covers much of the trail.) There are driving directions to the road crossings it suggests starting and ending at. I've found this series of books to be extremely helpful for my New England AT section hikes. The DeLorme maps have also been very helpful for finding roads as well.

-- Ivy

gr8fulyankee
04-26-2005, 18:10
I would suggest going to your local USFS and ask them about getting copies of the quad maps for the area. This should give you a very well detailed map with all the roads, including FS roads for the area you are interested in hiking. i would think that there would be an Office right in Montpelier, if not there is one in Burlington and Rutland. These link will help with the maps and ordering.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl/maps/index.htm
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl/maps/quadrangleindex.htm
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl/maps/onlinemaps.htm

It would be nice if this pdf had a lot more detail when you zoomed into it, because it would look wicked sweet printed out on a plotter.
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/natltrails.pdf

Peaks
04-26-2005, 18:11
Most shelters have a blue blaze trail nearby that leads to a trailhead. So, I'd suggest getting a good set of maps, either the State Gazetter or USGS Topo maps.

TJ aka Teej
04-26-2005, 19:07
Welcome to WhiteBlaze! The books Deb and Ivy suggest are really great for day hikes and short backpacks. The Quad Topos can be decades old, planning hikes with dated info is never a good idea. The DeLorme Gazetteers are probably the most useful maps for trail access in backcountry New England. If Vermont is where your hiking interest lies, check out the 'take a hike' link at http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

poison_ivy
04-26-2005, 22:53
Woops, not sure how I missed Deb's post, which said the same thing as mine!

I just wanted to add that Chateauguay Road is not a great option for trail access -- at least coming in from the south. You can't get to the actual AT crossing -- the road is essentially like a brook so you'll have a long road walk (I'd guess about a half-mile to a mile.) You'll definitely want a high clearance vehicle if you decide to try it (I did access the AT via this road twice but my husband drove it... it would not be something I would be comfortable driving, but I'm a whimp.) Coming in from the north side might be easier... we didn't try that way either time.

- Ivy

Askus3
04-27-2005, 04:57
I am dayhiking the AT Southbound and Vermont is 5 years away (hopefully). However, I have looked at the maps of VT and the only hike that I am concerned about making an overnighter is the stretch over Glastenbury Mt.
Let me know how you do VT as dayhikes and the conditions of any back woods roads that you wind up negotiating.

When you get to Maine, I have done the whole state with only one night backpacking. I have taken fairly good notes and can help you in your endeavor. I did however have two 19 mile days. But they weren't that bad as the terrain was mostly flat. I am curious about the Glastenbury Mt. stretch if I can get away doing it as a long day and then the next day take a zero. If it is less than 2500 feet i might try that option.

Then I am clear to close to the Smokies before I have to resort to backpacking.

Peaks
04-27-2005, 07:51
The AT/LT between Route 9 outside Bennington and Kelly Stand Road is one of the longest stretches along both trails without a road crossing or blue blaze trail to a road access. Good section to do as an overnight. It is a long long day hike otherwise.

Anghiker
04-27-2005, 08:18
Thank you everyone for your info. It is greatly appreciated. Our group thanks you as well.
Angie

Tramper Al
04-27-2005, 08:22
I think that if you want to avoid camping badly enough, the whole of the VT AT can likely be done as day hikes. I hiked it as a combination of day hikes and short (1-2 night) overnights. I camped mainly because my companions wanted to, not because the sections demanded it.

In addition to the great advice others have offered, I will just suggest that you get you hands on most every good map you can. The Delorme certainly, but do be aware that all roads in it are not roads. The 'new' Long Trail map from The Wilderness Map Company has every side trail access, with mileage, that you would want to consider, as well as an indication of how close you can drive and where to park. Finally, if you really want to use the maps to figure out a tricky day trip plan, the Topo! National Geopgraphic CD-ROMs have all the topo maps, and they'll show more than enough detail than you could need for this.

As well, I would suggest simply scouting trips to check out road access that you think may or may not work, based on your maps. At the end of a nice section day hike, I would often make a quick side trip to drive in and check out my next section, access, road crossings, etc. Then when you show up for that next section, you'll know what's feasible and what's not.

I have hiked the section from Rt. 12 Woodstock to Norwich twice. The first time it was two day hikes, the second from West Hartford to Rt. 12. The second time northbound I just went all the way from Rt. 12 to Norwich. I was aware of the Chateauguay Road option, and I believe the Embridge book (excellent, I agree) suggests accessing it from the north (Sharon). In any event, a 1 mile road walk is a small price to pay if you are trying to avoid an overnight.

I also day hiked the Rt 2 to Rt 9 section, and didn't find it to be that long a day. I am looking at my LT map right now, though, and I see road access coming very close to Seth Warner shelter, allowing you to split this section in two.

I think Rt. 9 to Kelly Strand Rd (over Glastonbury) would be difficult to split in two, as I don't see any good midpoint access on the LT map. Note that we did see ATV/Snowmobile trails leaving the summit area and descending to the East, but it would take some research to figure out how to use them. Of course, Goddard is one of the nicest places to sleep on the trail anyway.

You've probably worked out how all the other sections can be easily day hiked.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

peter2003
04-27-2005, 18:21
Delorme map book and some kind of hiking guide (thru hikers handbook) should do the trick in Vermont, You might want to contact the US Forest Service in Rochester for trailhead info. Should be able to slackpack all of Vermont if you are willing to do a couple of long days (about 20 miles),

I live in Vermont and hike the Rutland to Hanover section a lot.

Askus3
04-28-2005, 00:23
Tramper Al: You pretty much confirmed what I suspected. I will save the post for future reference when I am in VT doing the AT and doing my pre-trip research.

fredmugs
06-24-2010, 06:47
Does anyone have any relatively current knowledge about Chateauguay Rd between Killington and Woodstock? The most recent info I could find on the Rohland website was from 2007 (maybe?). I guess it is or was used for logging and the road conditions vary tremendously. I plan to be hiking in that area in two weeks.

Anything relative to conditions, access from the north or the south, parking, leaving a vehicle overnight, distance from parking to the trail would be greatly appreciated.

juma
06-25-2010, 04:25
this is the best and free:

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

peakbagger
06-25-2010, 07:50
Just about required in VT is the Delorme Atlas

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?beginIndex=0&item=324&section=10096

It shows the Long Trail and even has a few trail descriptions. A lot of the roads in VT are not well marked and arguably the locals dont really want them to be easy to find. With the Delorme guide and a working odometer you can find the backroads. If they arent shown in the book they dont exist.

With that and the GMC strip map of the long trail you are set. Even though I am an GMC member, the actual Long trail guide is of far less use to a day hiker than a backpacker.