PDA

View Full Version : Hiking buddy needed for 2-week trail hike in Maine

AmyMN83
07-29-2012, 22:40
I am planning to 2 week trip on the Appalachian Trail (Aug 2012) in Maine and would like a backpacking buddy! I am looking for someone who is an experienced backpacker and has all their own gear. Must be in good physical condition to hike 10-15 miles/day depending on the terrain. This will not be a leisurely or casual trip. Please let me know if you are interested for more information!

kayak karl
07-29-2012, 22:53
if you go south or north bound there will be other hikers. busy time up there. 10-15 is common distance.

AmyMN83
07-30-2012, 13:59
Have you hiked that area before? If I don't find a hiking partner, do you think it would be unwise for me to go alone? I am an experienced backpacker and sportsman. I also am certified in wilderness first aid.

Thanks!

TD55
07-30-2012, 15:37
if you go south or north bound there will be other hikers. busy time up there. 10-15 is common distance.
What he said. Will be lots of hikers on that section at that time.

AmyMN83
07-30-2012, 16:02
Is there a better area you recommend that is still remote and rugged but not as busy?

Shutterbug
07-30-2012, 23:41
Is there a better area you recommend that is still remote and rugged but not as busy?

Since you are planning a two week hike, Monson to Mt. Katahdin should meet your requirements. That will take you through the 100 Mile Wilderness and Baxter State Park. If you stay at shelters, you will probably have company, but if you prefer to be alone, it is easy to avoid the shelters.

Shutterbug
07-30-2012, 23:44
Have you hiked that area before? If I don't find a hiking partner, do you think it would be unwise for me to go alone? I am an experienced backpacker and sportsman. I also am certified in wilderness first aid.

Thanks!

You know your capabilities better than anyone. I have hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness alone. It is a great experience. I travel from Washington State to Maine almost every year to hike in that area. It will be an experience you will remember.