PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I need to heal foot sores FAST!

prain4u
07-30-2012, 04:00
I am hoping that some of you can help me with a problem. BOTTOM LINE: I need to heal some significant sores and/or blisters on my feet as fast as possible.

I generally do good foot care (preventative steps) both before and after any "hot spots" appear on my feet. Therefore, I rarely get any small blisters and NEVER get large blisters or any large open sores on my feet. Until now.....

I recently spent several days hiking at Isle Royale National Park. It rained. My feet became soaked (and I was doing "long" miles on this trip). I was wearing footwear that had never given me any issues before--but then again, I had never hiked in this particular footwear after they had become soaking wet. The result is, (that in spite of my best preventative methods), the backs and sides of BOTH of my heels got "tore up". I have abrasions and open sores on both feet. One area (by the ankle bone) has an open sore (or abrasion) about the size of a quarter.

In eight days, I am scheduled to begin another five day hike on Isle Royale with a friend. We will be hiking 8-15 miles each day. Reservations are made for hotels for the days prior to our departure. Reservations for the boat (to and from the island) are made and are non-refundable. Our vacation schedules can't be moved. So, this hike "has" to happen next week.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HEAL THESE SORES (as much as possible) BEFORE NEXT WEEK'S TRIP AND/OR WHAT CAN I DO TO PROTECT THE INJURED AREAS DURING NEXT WEEK'S HIKE? Thanks for any advice that you can give me. (In my 35+ years of hiking, I never have had this problem).

Ender
07-30-2012, 06:10
Generally, things take as long to heal as they're going to... there's really no speeding things up. Just keep your feet clean, dry, and use neosporin. Maybe once a day soak your feet in epson salts.

One option, if your feet aren't healed come time for your trip, is to consider hiking in sandals, like Chacos or Tevas. They will allow your blisters to continue healing, and you to continue hiking (depending on where exactly the blisters are on your feet). Just a thought.

fredmugs
07-30-2012, 07:10
In 8 days they should recover to the point that they will not cause you any agony when you walk and not rip open. Try putting lekotape over them before you hit the trail. That stuff is pretty bullet proof. I've never tried crazy glue but I hear it works will.

moytoy
07-30-2012, 07:14
I don't think even the snake oil pruveyors have come up with a product to make sores heal faster. Keep the blisters clean and aired out. Unless there is evidence of infection I don't use antibiotic ointment. It seems to slow down the healing.

Maddog
07-30-2012, 07:21
I am hoping that some of you can help me with a problem. BOTTOM LINE: I need to heal some significant sores and/or blisters on my feet as fast as possible.

I generally do good foot care (preventative steps) both before and after any "hot spots" appear on my feet. Therefore, I rarely get any small blisters and NEVER get large blisters or any large open sores on my feet. Until now.....

I recently spent several days hiking at Isle Royale National Park. It rained. My feet became soaked (and I was doing "long" miles on this trip). I was wearing footwear that had never given me any issues before--but then again, I had never hiked in this particular footwear after they had become soaking wet. The result is, (that in spite of my best preventative methods), the backs and sides of BOTH of my heels got "tore up". I have abrasions and open sores on both feet. One area (by the ankle bone) has an open sore (or abrasion) about the size of a quarter.

In eight days, I am scheduled to begin another five day hike on Isle Royale with a friend. We will be hiking 8-15 miles each day. Reservations are made for hotels for the days prior to our departure. Reservations for the boat (to and from the island) are made and are non-refundable. Our vacation schedules can't be moved. So, this hike "has" to happen next week.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HEAL THESE SORES (as much as possible) BEFORE NEXT WEEK'S TRIP AND/OR WHAT CAN I DO TO PROTECT THE INJURED AREAS DURING NEXT WEEK'S HIKE? Thanks for any advice that you can give me. (In my 35+ years of hiking, I never have had this problem).
I don't blister either. But I would be up the same creek as you if I did! Maddog:)

10-K
07-30-2012, 08:40
Keep them dry and keep exposed to the air... No socks and shoes as often as possible.

kayak karl
07-30-2012, 09:02
Maybe once a day soak your feet in epson salts.
this is what i do! soak and air dry, but i have only done it for problems from work, not hiking.

prain4u
07-30-2012, 09:52
Thanks for the answers so far! All good ones. Please keep them coming. (I know that there is not much that one can do to make wounds heal faster. Certain things just take time. However, with my very short time between hikes, ANY bit of advice that will help me to "optimize" the healing time is certainly appreciated. I am also appreciating the tips regarding what to do on next week's hike in order to "protect" the wounds from further damage. Thanks!!!!

peakbagger
07-30-2012, 11:51
I have had the best luck with these

http://www.drugstore.com/johnson-and-johnson-tough-pads-hydrocolloid-adhesive-pads/qxp68768

They swell up with plasma from the wound and acts like a artifical scab. I used to trash my feet on occasion with my leather boots until I switched to trail runners and these worked the best. Walmart used to stock them locally but the only version they sell now is the blister care bandaged which are smaller. I figure it cuts healing time in half. Even if they heal up the skin will be soft. Usually light weight liner socks inside of heavy weight wool socks will keep blisters at bay.

I have cut up these and covered a wound then covered the area with duck tape when I still had the leather boots. It was about the best of a lot of bad alternatives. Note once you have a sore mole skin is useless.

My one comment

atraildreamer
07-30-2012, 11:52
Try Gold Bond powder on the blisters to dry them up. Prepare to grit your teeth for a few minutes when it starts to work. :confused: Use the powder in the green bottle if you like to dance! :eek: :banana

Slo-go'en
07-30-2012, 11:55
I find that a liquid bandage such as "New Skin" works best for me. Stings like all get out when the wound is raw, but heals it quicker than anything else I've ever tried.

Couple of years ago I gave my bottle of New Skin to a kid who was falling behind because of blisters. Three days later he was back to leaving us in the dust.

Drybones
07-30-2012, 15:19
A friend gave me a small bottle of New Skin that was great on blisters, and I had some bad ones. It's a liquid you brush on and it drys in minutes. For me it worked much better than stick on bandages.

shelb
07-30-2012, 15:43
If they don't heal, I second the idea of hiking in sandals. My 14 year old has completed three 50 mile hikes and one 110 hike (plus numerous 20 milers) in his Keens. I am considering them myself, as I always blister easily in both boots and hiking shoes. He does wear his smart wool with them when hiking.

onesocktwin
07-30-2012, 15:50
+1 for New Skin. Also, wool socks change when you stop for lunch, it's amazing how much DRY socks help even if you shoes are not wet. Hang the sweaty ones on your pack to dry to change back to later.

kofritz
07-30-2012, 16:55
soaking in epsom salt and dry repeatedly may help. or better yet, head to the ocean/gulf and soak

leaftye
07-30-2012, 17:08
Bag Balm seems to help heal chafing more quickly. It might help with blisters.

prain4u
07-30-2012, 17:41
You folks are great! Thanks for all of your ideas!

Malto
07-30-2012, 20:36
If it were me..... Epsom salts soak and lots of air drying.n then if they are still a problem then new skin will help protect the area. But also take a good supply of large band aids and put them over the area it will move the friction to the bandaid.

I would also look at exactly where you are blistered and see if there is a ridge in your insole at the point of the blister. I learned that the hard way and have cut many ridges out the insole by make a v shaped cut. Good luck.

Weekender
07-30-2012, 22:38
[QUOTE=peakbagger;1318435]I have had the best luck with these

http://www.drugstore.com/johnson-and-johnson-tough-pads-hydrocolloid-adhesive-pads/qxp68768

They swell up with plasma from the wound and acts like a artifical scab. I used to trash my feet on occasion with my leather boots until I switched to trail runners and these worked the best. Walmart used to stock them locally but the only version they sell now is the blister care bandaged which are smaller. I figure it cuts healing time in half. Even if they heal up the skin will be soft. Usually light weight liner socks inside of heavy weight wool socks will keep blisters at bay.

I have cut up these and covered a wound then covered the area with duck tape when I still had the leather boots. It was about the best of a lot of bad alternatives. Note once you have a sore mole skin is useless.

I agree to let them air dry as much as possible, no socks or shoes as long as you can. Once you start hiking, I think anything with Compeed like what peakbagger recommends is good. We have used the Bandaid Blister healers (also compeed) but you have to keep them on once you put them on or they will take the skin off with them. I read somewhere that the CVS version is a little larger.

Shutterbug
07-30-2012, 23:29
I also use new skin, but I would also recommend "Blue Emu" heel crack treatment. If your skin around the blisters is dried out, the Blue Emu softens it up. I buy mine at WalMart.

scudder
07-31-2012, 07:01
I have had good results using powdered goldenseal applied to "weeping" abrasions. Dries them up and forms a scab fast!