PDA

View Full Version : Long trail Vermont vs. AT Vermont? July 2005

Pappa Green Jeans
04-26-2005, 20:27
:datz I am wondering what you people think would be better? I am getting a free ride to Vermont and want to hike. I was going to hike the AT in Maine, but I'm finding that may not be finacially possible. I also saw that there werent many resupply points in Maine. How are the resupply points on the Long trail? Are there actually enough resupply points in Main and vermont on the AT that I can stop worrying; and just pay the extra to go to Maine this summer to hike the AT there? I really wanted to hike the AT in Maine, but read a few things that said resupply points are far and few. Please let me know what to do. God Bless.:datz

Nean
04-26-2005, 20:40
Hiking in Me. reminds of hiking out west, there are plenty of resupply points, there just aren't plenty of choices. Same with the LT, very easy to resupply! Whichever you chose you can't go wrong! ENJOY

Lone Wolf
04-26-2005, 20:42
Son you ain't gonna be in any kind of wilderness. There are roads and towns everywhere.

Kerosene
04-26-2005, 20:52
If you've got a month, I'd try to get a hitch the the Vermont/Canada border and hike the Long Trail south to Williamstown, MA, from where you should be able to catch a bus home. There are a lot of re-supply points to choose from. You should be able to do the entire Long Trail in under 3 weeks if you're in reasonable shape and the weather isn't too bad.

The Hog
04-27-2005, 06:47
The LT is a good hike. But the AT in New Hampshire is tougher and there's more above treeline hiking. It's more spectacular and more interesting, IMO. I would start at the Connecticut River and hike the AT north thru New Hampshire. That is a great piece of trail.

Peaks
04-27-2005, 07:33
If you are concerned about where to resupply along the Long Trail, then get the Thru-hikers information from the Green Mountain Club.

If you are concerned about where to resupply along the AT, then get the ALDHA Companion or Wingfoot's Handbook.

There is ample resupply places along both trails. Just takes a little planning.

hawkeye
04-27-2005, 13:15
I am doing the Long trail in Sept. The best guide is the "Long Trail end to ender;s guide" from the GMC. Lots of resupply points.

JoeHiker
04-27-2005, 13:37
I am doing the Long trail in Sept. The best guide is the "Long Trail end to ender;s guide" from the GMC. Lots of resupply points.
Really? North to South or South to North? I'm doing North to South that month so we might see each other.

Pappa Green Jeans
04-27-2005, 20:46
Thankyou for your input! I am still torn between the LT and the AT. I was set on the AT for a long time; but I've been hearing more and more good things about the LT. And I also like "The Hogs" idea, sounds great!

Tramper Al
04-27-2005, 21:36
If I understand correctly, you are trying to make a choice between hiking the Long Trail or the length of the AT within Vermont, yes? Despite sharing the first 100 miles or so, there really are significant differences, I think both in concept and in execution. I have hiked the entire VT AT, I have about 90 miles to go on the LT to complete it.

I guess you are also considering the AT in NH. I've hiked that as well, and it is really something special, no question. Others have addressed your resupply concerns for Maine, so with that and based on your last post, I will focus on Vermont.

How much time do you have? The Long Trail typically will occupy a thru hiker for 20-28 days, give or take. The AT in VT is quite a bit shorter, about 150 miles compared to the LT's 270 or so.

Going northbound, LT gets more and more rugged as you do. The AT climbing difficulty peaks out at Killington, followed by a relatively easy couple of sections into Norwich.

If you are aiming to hike the AT state by state (as I do), then so be it. If not, I think you might find the LT to give you a more complete sense of accomplishment (and a longer hike!), if you have the time. Heck, if you are able hike the LT end to end, it would take you maybe 2 days, 3 at the most, to finish the AT from Maine Junction to Norwich.

SavageLlama
04-27-2005, 21:49
The Long Trail in the fall, when the leaves are turning, is 270 miles of ocular bliss. I thru-hiked the LT last fall and here are some of the many highlights:

- Amazing foliage (VT has the best fall leaves, hands down)
- No bugs (they're gone by mid-Sept)
- No crowds (tourist spots are few and far between)
- Northern VT is good hiking. Mt Mansfield, Camel's Hump, Jay Peak... there are plenty of big climbs that top out above treeline
- Lots of great towns with cool bars along the way (Inn at Long Trail, The Shed, Snowshoe Lodge...)
- The GMC does a kick-ass job of maintaining both the trail and the many super-cool shelters and camps (cabins)
- The feeling of hiking an entire trail and ending in a different country is pretty sweet.

Best time to go is the last week of September into the first weeks of October. You'll catch the leaves and hit Canada before the snow flies. Happy Trails!

Moon Monster
04-27-2005, 22:05
Don't let resupply be the deciding factor, there's not an appreciable difference. If money is a big swing issue, then by all means stay in Vermont and do the LT. You'll surely love it. Keep Maine on your list for the future. But, if you can swing the money to get to Maine, then do what your heart has been set on the longest.