PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles on C&O Canal Trail (?)

Cozy
07-30-2012, 15:27
I'm new to using trekking poles. They were invaluable to my section hike in VA a couple of months ago with the uphills and downhills. I will be backpacking the C&O Canal trail from Cumberland, MD to Washington, DC. Apparently it's pretty much flat (no mountain climbs/descents). Is there any good reason to use trekking poles on a long distance flat terrain hike?

Thanks!

Mrs Baggins
07-30-2012, 16:07
Well, poles would keep your hands from swelling the way they would if left to hang down at your sides. When you get tired they're something to lean on for a few minutes. I've seen people using them on the path. I guess it's whether or not you want to carry them.

Ender
07-30-2012, 16:16
On flat trail I find poles to be more trouble than they're worth. I go faster, with less energy spent not using them on flat trail. If the trail turns flat, I collapse my poles and just hold them until it gets steep again. On ups, and steep downs though, I always use my poles.

Malto
07-30-2012, 20:38
No no no no (it had to be ten characters)

Don H
07-30-2012, 22:18
Cozy, the C&O Canal is flat, it's a canal, it holds water, it's level:)
I've done the whole canal twice, except for an 8 foot drop at each lock it is flat. It's a very nice gravel road the entire way.
If you want you can use poles. They save your knees, even of level ground. Plus I need one to hold my tent up.

Cookerhiker
07-31-2012, 09:38
I don't see any benefit to using poles on the C&O at all unless you have some specific medical condition.

You may want to ask for advice regarding the impact on your feet from 184 miles of backpacking on a hard flat surface, e.g. what kind of shoes work best.

Don H
07-31-2012, 10:41
I've biked the C&O. Don't need poles for that and it's easier on the knees. Faster too.

Bike Cumberland to Harper's Ferry. Take a day off to do some whitewater rafting, then continue to DC. Great one week trip.

chiefiepoo
07-31-2012, 10:49
With the carbide tips, they would be useful for spearing mosquitoes.

Cookerhiker
07-31-2012, 10:50
I've biked the C&O. Don't need poles for that and it's easier on the knees. Faster too.

Bike Cumberland to Harper's Ferry. Take a day off to do some whitewater rafting, then continue to DC. Great one week trip.

Yes, biking is the way to do the C&O. I've done it in its entirety twice plus another Cumberland-to-Harpers Ferry trip.

Good forum here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?32125-C-amp-o-Trail&highlight=c+%26amp%3B+o+canal

QiWiz
07-31-2012, 12:52
Probably not unless needed for your shelter or you like the rhythm of using poles. I always use poles and would not bring them on the towpath trail. I'd just find a stick to set up my shelter with.

Eyzeek
07-31-2012, 18:05
cozy...i have hiked the C+O Canal with poles and after the experience i would not do it again...its a boring walk...all straight, all flat and few cool things to look at...resupply was also tough...im a hammock hanger at night on the trails and i found that most of the trees in the designated camping areas on the canal were all too large for my tree straps and i ended up stealth camping most nights due to that.... there is a long detour between dams #4 and #5 with a long road walk bypassing a section with no water sources for hikers...all and all hiking the canal i think was a bad idea unless you are looking for solitude...i came across one other hiker my entire trip but there were hundreds of bikers...now dont get me wrong the canal is a great trail to do...jus make sure to bring a bike ;)

Cookerhiker
07-31-2012, 18:52
cozy...i have hiked the C+O Canal with poles and after the experience i would not do it again...its a boring walk...all straight, all flat and few cool things to look at...resupply was also tough...im a hammock hanger at night on the trails and i found that most of the trees in the designated camping areas on the canal were all too large for my tree straps and i ended up stealth camping most nights due to that.... there is a long detour between dams #4 and #5 with a long road walk bypassing a section with no water sources for hikers...all and all hiking the canal i think was a bad idea unless you are looking for solitude...i came across one other hiker my entire trip but there were hundreds of bikers...now dont get me wrong the canal is a great trail to do...jus make sure to bring a bike ;)

I agree and have said that cycling is more rewarding than hiking the canal but I'm loathe to say it's "boring" with "few cool things to look at." The canal is a treasure trove of wildlife, some of which you may miss as you're whizzing by @14 mph. If you're into birding at all, you'll find lots of species. Turtles are numerous and you'll the painted variety from a bike but the only time I ever saw a snapper was on a short walk. Waterfowl are also easier to see from afoot.

Tuckahoe
07-31-2012, 19:01
I intend for a hike from Harpers Ferry to DC to be one of my future backpacking trips. Hopefully a nice September or October trip. I would certainly enjoy a nice level 60 mile walk and the history and such along the way. My plan is to walk to the train station a block from the house and take the train to HF and take it home DC. A nice simple and easy trip.

Cozy
07-31-2012, 19:33
Thanks, everyone for your replies. Like I said, I'm new to the trekking poles and wanted to see if there are benefits on flat terrain. I will not be bringing them now. Thx!

BTW, the reason I am going on the C&O is to accompany a friend of mine who is hiking the trail to raise funds to build a water well in Uganda.

DaSchwartz
08-01-2012, 14:54
You won't need them for the C&O, however there are some side trails off the C&O you might want to explore including the Billy Goat trail where trekking poles would be a huge asset. Resupply on the C&O is actually incredibly easy compared to the AT, you'll never be more then 2 days away from a resupply point within a mile of the C&O and you'll never have to hitchhike along the C&O. You might need to filter water from the Potomac River if the hiker-bike faucets are closed or broken.

DaSchwartz
08-01-2012, 14:57
I'd also add if your friend is using the C&O for training, 100 percent you should do the Billy Goat trail, as it will be great training for the AT as it will resemble conditions he will encounter in New England with rock scrambles and narrow passages.

Jeff
08-01-2012, 15:07
I too would much, much rather bike the C&O than hike it.

There is another great side trail on the C&O just west of Harpers Ferry with outstanding views of the town and rivers. I believe it is orange/red blazed and called the Maryland Heights Overlook. It's a good climb up to the overlook taking maybe an hour or two round trip.