PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Diamondback encounter on the Florida Trail

Buffalo Skipper
07-30-2012, 17:35
I was doing a weekend trek on the Florida Trail with some friends, when on the way out on the last day, we almost stepped on this little guy. I estimate he was 4½’ to 5’ long and about 10 lbs. Beautiful colors. Sorry the photos just don't do him justice.

16842 16843 16841

moytoy
07-30-2012, 17:50
Nice pictures! Where was this? I don't see as many snakes as I did 20 years ago. I have been blaming it on the feral pigs running amok but I really don't know that for sure.

Wise Old Owl
07-30-2012, 17:51
Great PIC How far did you have to zooom?:eek:

imscotty
07-30-2012, 19:36
He is a beauty.

MuddyWaters
07-30-2012, 19:40
Our hunting lease used to be full of water moccassins, timber rattlers, and copperheads. Then the pigs came. Seldom see snakes like we used to. Not sure it thats a good thing, or a bad thing.

Double Wide
07-30-2012, 19:53
I think the Eastern Diamondback is one of the most beautiful snakes. Love to see pics of them, but probably wouldn't want to encounter one on the trail. Any trail...

Buffalo Skipper
07-31-2012, 09:08
Nice pictures! Where was this? I don't see as many snakes as I did 20 years ago. I have been blaming it on the feral pigs running amok but I really don't know that for sure.

This was on the Florida Trail, Alaqua Section on the NW corner of Eglin AFB. This particular spot was about 9 miles SW of DeFuniak Springs.

Great PIC How far did you have to zooom?:eek:

Actually, not far. When one of my hiking buddies was blaing through the Banana Spider webs with recless abandon, he came within about 2 steps of this boy. Understandably, he jumped back at lightning speed. I won't repeat what he said. ;) At that point, he (the snake, not my buddy) was stretched out as shown in the first picture. He laid there for probably 25 seconds or more before I finally saw his tongue flicking in or out. After another 10-15 seconds, he slowly began creeping backward, toward his tail, which was off the trail. Slowly, he coiled himself up around his tail and begain vibrating his tail. It was probably a full minute after we first saw (nearly stepped on) him, before he was rattling like you would expect. Only being a 5'er at best, we kept a safe distance, and tried not to get into his space. Rattlesnakes can only strike roughly 2/3 of their body length. We gave him a full 10-12', about 3x his best strike. When we first almost stepped on him, he was stretched out, so his abiltiy to strike at distance was virtually zero.

After we walked around him, and away, it was easy to hear his rattle winding down. When we were probably 10-15 yards away, he had stopped shaking. I came back toward him (keeping 25' away, and though he was looking at me, he did not rattle any more).

As for zooming the pic, I cropped the pic to allow for better viewing on the site.

I think the Eastern Diamondback is one of the most beautiful snakes. Love to see pics of them, but probably wouldn't want to encounter one on the trail. Any trail...

Yes, he was quite beautiful, and his colors were striking (no pun intended) and vivid. In spite of the danger, we all felt privileged to have seen him.

As we were walking off, we speculated it would be like a fish story. By next week, surely he would be 7' long, as big as my thigh, have 3 fangs, be able to spit venom 15', and surely spoke something to the effect of. "Just try the apple..."

Cookerhiker
07-31-2012, 09:24
Actually I thought your photos did him justice quite well. But a "little guy" at 5' and apparently a few inches in diameter? Looked pretty big to me!

Cookerhiker
07-31-2012, 09:29
My Peterson field guide to reptiles states that Eastern Diamondbacks range from 33-72 inches with the record being 96. The description also matches your experience, saying that they like the palmetto flatwoods and dry pinelands of the South and that sometimes they "...permit close approach without making sound..." as your friend learned firsthand.

moytoy
07-31-2012, 10:16
I think the world record Eastern D was caught near St Augustine. I had seen some pictures of it and was famaliar with the pics. A friend of mine in Alabama found the picture of that snake on the internet after it had been photo shopped and made to look like it measured 18'. He sent me the picture and explained this is why he will not come to Florida to hike. He still insist that the snake is 18 ft. and of course it is not. I think that the 96 " world record was killed which is a shame.

Cookerhiker
07-31-2012, 10:53
I think the world record Eastern D was caught near St Augustine. I had seen some pictures of it and was famaliar with the pics. A friend of mine in Alabama found the picture of that snake on the internet after it had been photo shopped and made to look like it measured 18'. He sent me the picture and explained this is why he will not come to Florida to hike. He still insist that the snake is 18 ft. and of course it is not. I think that the 96 " world record was killed which is a shame.

I remember the internet photos of that snake. Wasn't it found by some construction workers in an underground culvert?

MidTenn Trekker
07-31-2012, 16:41
I remember the internet photos of that snake. Wasn't it found by some construction workers in an underground culvert?

I grew up on the edge of the Savannah River Swamp in lower South Carolina. During many fishing and exploring forays as a teen, I saw a good number of large Eastern Diamondback rattlers. Several over six feet and a couple nearly seven. Saw one completely stretched across the road. When they get that big they move slowly. They are also good swimmers and swim on top of the water. They really are beautiful and are protected now (for those that observe that). I hate that feral pigs are predating on them. When you are in that part of the US, you need to be careful, as rattlers and cottonmouths are lurking. At least these large snakes are not on the AT. Good hiking!

moytoy
07-31-2012, 16:50
I don't remember the exact details. It seems like it was in a subdivision and may have been found by some construction workers. It's easy to convince people who really fear snakes that a 15+ foot rattle snake really exist.

moytoy
07-31-2012, 16:57
I found it on hoax slayer http://www.hoax-slayer.com/staugustine-giant-rattlesnake.shtml
Sounds like this snake was just over 7 feet.
Tho OP's snake was estimated at 5 and thats a large rattle snake. I would have felt privileged to see that snake while hiking. Makes the adrenaline gland work.

Heyoka
07-31-2012, 17:24
I saw one yesterday at Raven Cliffs Trail here in Ga.

moytoy
07-31-2012, 17:36
I saw one yesterday at Raven Cliffs Trail here in Ga.
Timber Rattler most likely.

Heyoka
07-31-2012, 18:09
It was a foot long and had the same pattern as the pic. I just about stepped on it as it crossed the trail. Managed to corner it with my stick and check it out very closely and leisurely. It didn't have a rattle or it was so small it wasn't discernible as such. I have no idea what kind of venomous snake it was (not coral, copper, or cotton though) but paid close attention to the pattern so that I could id it. If not a dback I'd lean towards the pygmy rattlesnake before the timber.

moytoy
07-31-2012, 18:19
I was guessing of course because of location (North GA). Eastern Diamondbacks are more in Fl. and South Ga. around the coastal areas. I'm not pretending to be the auth. on snakes. The good thing is you saw it!

Buffalo Skipper
07-31-2012, 22:06
Speaking of large rattlers, back when I was 15 years old as a counselor at Boy Scout camp, we had 3 significant rattlesnakes found (and back in those days, killed). The first was 5½’ long and weighted 15 lbs. The second was 6’ at 25 lbs (pregnant female). The last was 6½’ and tipped the scales at 20 lbs. The scout camp where those were found is only 3 miles from where we encountered this good looking guy. FWIW, all three snakes back in 1980 were BBQd and eaten. Yummy!

christoba123
03-24-2013, 15:46
That picture being taken from space is not far enough for me.