PDA

View Full Version : WB exam area........

MedicineMan
04-26-2005, 22:42
I know you're already laughing but a service could be offered by WB...the articles section will ultimately propel WB to an undisputable postion in the hiking community (it was already discussed in past threads how hikers will eventually be able to download and print their own personalized guide to the AT for free)....well many of us already believe WB it THE AT site.
I was joking to myself that new members of WB take an exam and get a passing score before being allowed to post as members here-an exam that would force wilderness knowledge upon them--far fetched and not so good of an idea i know, but someone might generate a nifty internet friendly exam that judges one on a multitude of wilderness matters and of course generate a score AND point the test takers to the articles section for answers.
I thought of this after reading the excellent article posted on lightening safety....but it could include first aid,orienteering, map reading and on and on.
Your thoughts please, and is any one here skilled enough to build a internet exam? or does anybody care :(

attroll
04-27-2005, 00:27
I see where you are going on this MM and I like the idea but I am not that much of a programer to know how to do it with this software. Maybe someone else can help.

Ridge
04-27-2005, 03:27
The last week are so that I've been filling in for my husband here at WB has been very educational. I use to hike alot and am somewhat trail experienced so I understand a lot of the stuff here. A test should only be optional to those who wish to further their knowledge by taking one. Should not be mandatory. I know that a lot of dumb and inexperienced people get out in the wilderness and end up in trouble or worse. Making those pay for their rescues may help, but I doubt it. A lot of the bad things that happen are to young people, probably peer driven, to do some long hike or backpacking trip and don't have a clue whats going on or how to handle an emergency, especially in the mountains. I say, all the educational material one can dish out the better. My husband's favorite expression (don't tell him I said this) about a lot of websites concerning hiking, outdoors etc is "too much talk and not enough walk" He keeps a milage journal and hikes over a 1000 miles each year, mostly clearing trails for the USFS, he does his share of walking/hiking. enough said. hikerwife

MedicineMan
04-27-2005, 03:34
only the fun part of taking a quizz and seeing how you do....